Most expensive thing you lost while hunting

duckhuntr

FNG
I'll start since my elk hunting trip just got cut short 3 days due to my loss. I had to run to town to get service and take care of some things as we're in the process of relocating homes. . . While I was on the phone for 3 hours in a parking lot, I set my boots out on the ground to "air" out. After 3 hours on the phone I had to take a serious piss and bolted. And that was the last I saw of my $550 kenetrek Mountain boots. Not only the cost, but broke in to fit like a glove. By the time I realized they were gone a few hours later and returned, somebody had already snatched them. I gave my info to several of the local authorities, but I don't plan on seeing those again.

So this one cost me $550, cut my trip short, and damn hard to replace that broke in comfort anytime soon.

Let's hear your worst, maybe it will make me feel a little better. I still want to puke thinking about it.

*Sidenote* Crocs aren't that bad of a backup shoe. I put 3 miles on in my crocs this morning to pull a camera before leaving. (y)

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Ive lost a $500 spotter in the hills chasing a nice buck.
My brother lost his phone a couple years ago. He dumped his dirt bike off a single track in a snowstorm. He knew he lost it and we spent a few minutes looking once we got his bike back up on the trail. Didnt spend much time looking though because we needed to get out of the storm.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
I can recall a pair of prescription glasses that I lost while dragging a whitetail doe out that my son killed.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Me personally a $150 rain jacket while shed hunting, but while hunting 🤣🤣🤣💯 I shot a bull in 2004 and while butchering I saw two guys come by, they never saw me but I could see one guy had a quiver full over like 10 arrows on the bow all bright and shiny🤣 many hours later I ran into them. We talked and I asked where is your bow. The hunter and guide looked at each other, the hunter then said I lost it🤗 I’m like how do you lose your bow🤣 hunter says well it was on a strap and the jungle grabbed it and I never felt it fall off my shoulder. Good bye new Mathews setup in the jungles of Idaho. Next one friends, friend lays down new Leica rangefinder and high jacket as we chase a bugling bull in the cabinets mountains of Montana. He thought he could retrace his steps 30 minutes later🤣 Nope lesson to self from these stories don’t lay things down and walk off and always check the shoulder strap🤣💯👊

WA209

FNG
Sig 12x50 Zulu binos in a vortex harness with tripod adapter in ca d3-5 two months ago.

Sanity and over 200 inch buck when I had glassed and been sitting on a monster buck in Region G for 3 days.

Opening day - monster was out of pattern. 2 hours later after sitting patiently I noticed a solo tent 100 yards away from where the big buck was living.

Guy didn’t even have a clue the big buck was there and the buck never showed up within any basin close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I left my bino's on my tripod over night once right next to the road, luckily they were still there in the morning! Did the same with a shotgun as well, lucky!

Fowl Play

WKR
Does rolling a brand new F250 with a similarly brand new ATV off the side of a mountain count as “lost” lol. Cause that’s what my buddy did last elk trip.

Montana winters will kill you if you’re not paying attention. Thankfully truck caught in the trees after a couple rolls. ATV, made it a couple thousand feet end over end.

S.Clancy

WKR
There's several rangefinders spread throughout MT from chasing bulls in September.

I once burned up a pair of boots drying them out next to a fire, had to hike 8 miles out in sandals.

I sunk a 5-600$ rod/reel this summer when I flipped my raft running whitewater.

The list continues....

MattB

WKR
The driver's side rear wing window on my 1998 4runner. Sort of. I set my bow down next to my truck at point A, didn't realize that I hadn't put it in my vehicle until I had driven 15 minutes to point B, and then locked my keys in my vehicle in a rush to get back to recover my bow. I had to bust the window to get the keys, but my bow was still there when I returned. Hunt over though.

Pdzoller

WKR
During a November elk hunt, my cousin had a holster break off his hip while going through a rhododendron patch. He noticed about a quarter mile later so we put our packs down and left a pin drop on where we put the packs. We searched until around midnight and then he decided it was a lost cause. My phone died before we got back to the packs and we almost lost those as well. That was such a cold and shitty night. I forget what kind of pistol it was but he still bitches about $800.

I lost my wedding ring dragging out a buck last year. Had no idea it was gone until the drive home when I looked down to see it gone.

Pro953

WKR
Ha, I lost my wedding ring crabbing a few years ago off the coast. I had forgotten about that. The wife took it better than expected.

An Atlas bipod a long while back was a bit of a bummer.

Not expensive, but I go though hats like they are single use. Just pisses me off.

D S 319

WKR
MKC knife in MT. Tried to back track in the morning on the hike out but tromping through snow up to your waist and it dusting over night did not help the efforts.

rclouse79

WKR
The first rangefinder I ever bought didn’t make it to see lunch of the first day. My belt came unbuckled and it slipped off in the thick ocotillo. I backtracked for a bit before deciding it was hopeless.