Most versatile older frame

GKPrice

Banned
I would MUCH rather have a Stone Glacier or Kifaru pack and use a Ruger American rifle to hunt with then a Molle pack and my Kimber Montana or Tikka.

We all choose what priorities are for our uses. A rifle I only use for a VERY small time of the hunt while a pack is used nearly constantly throughout at hunt.

There are folks that have only used a Savage Stevens rifle for their whole hunting career and it works just fine for them and they don't know or need to know about other options. Doesn't mean there isn't stuff that may be better, but for their uses it works.

I find it funny guys will spend $600 or more on a rifle scope than then turn their nose up at the same price for a quality backpack.

Luke - that IS a really good perspective for me to ponder .... never looked at it in that way

Underperforming? I have used all those packs on one deployment or another. The only one that I really didn't like the the Molle, the frames kept snapping. I stil use my alice mountain ruc for some hunting situtations. Are any of those packs my first choice for packing out an elk. Probably not, but they are some good packs there and don't stretch a hunters budget to bad. Lately I have been considering attaching my large alice bad to the kelty cache hauler frame and see how it works.

GKPrice

Banned
Underperforming? I have used all those packs on one deployment or another. The only one that I really didn't like the the Molle, the frames kept snapping. I stil use my alice mountain ruc for some hunting situtations. Are any of those packs my first choice for packing out an elk. Probably not, but they are some good packs there and don't stretch a hunters budget to bad. Lately I have been considering attaching my large alice bad to the kelty cache hauler frame and see how it works.

must have been the black frames ?

fatrascal

WKR
I remember a friend of mine teasing me 20 years ago because my work boots cost over $300.00. But he did not mind buying a pair of snake skin cowboy boots to go dancing on Friday night. I tried to explain that I spent at least 50 hours a week in my work boots and he only spent about 6 hours a week in his honky tonk boots but he never got it.
As Luke Moffat stated, you use your backpack almost constantly when bivvy hunting. Nothing but a comfortable pack will do. If you only use your pack for a small amount of time then get what works.
Most pack companies make a frame design that fits "most" people. But if you are a person with a different shape then your pack will not fit correctly. This is where Kifaru is different. You have three different choices for stay supports in your pack. You can get straight arrow stays, or composite stays that fit "most" backs. But if these two options do not work for you, you can get the aluminum stays and bend and shape them to fit your back. Then you can get the bag and add on pouches to fit your needs and desires. I used Badlands and Eberlestock packs for years and suffered and thought that was just the way it is. But after going to a quality pack I look back and realize that I really didn't know how much I was just putting up with the discomfort. Now I know. Fatrascal.

I remember a friend of mine teasing me 20 years ago because my work boots cost over $300.00. But he did not mind buying a pair of snake skin cowboy boots to go dancing on Friday night. I tried to explain that I spent at least 50 hours a week in my work boots and he only spent about 6 hours a week in his honky tonk boots but he never got it.
As Luke Moffat stated, you use your backpack almost constantly when bivvy hunting. Nothing but a comfortable pack will do. If you only use your pack for a small amount of time then get what works.
Most pack companies make a frame design that fits "most" people. But if you are a person with a different shape then your pack will not fit correctly. This is where Kifaru is different. You have three different choices for stay supports in your pack. You can get straight arrow stays, or composite stays that fit "most" backs. But if these two options do not work for you, you can get the aluminum stays and bend and shape them to fit your back. Then you can get the bag and add on pouches to fit your needs and desires. I used Badlands and Eberlestock packs for years and suffered and thought that was just the way it is. But after going to a quality pack I look back and realize that I really didn't know how much I was just putting up with the discomfort. Now I know. Fatrascal.

Waaaay late for that I appologize. But agreed on everything the fatrascal said. Got Thorogood steel toes like five years ago, won’t ever wear another pair of boots untilthese are shredded. An expensive purchase that works better and longer can easily save money over a few years and definitely make your life easier. Good pack is the same thing especially if you are wearing it a lot and carrying lots of weight with you.