Motorola Defy Satellite Link

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what their unlimited plans will cost. I went and checked their website and couldn't find their plans listed.

WMag338

WKR
First I've heard about this. Checking it out now. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

WMag338

WKR
Maybe I’m missing something. Is this really any different than an inReach paired to your phone? Ford vs Chevy?

slifer

FNG
Wow. I was just about to pickup an inreach messenger. Seems to be a great alternative. What would you guys do?

jth7186

FNG
Idk, the Motorola seems like a good option especially with service price. Whatever you do, tomorrow will have better options if you’re like me when buying with something.

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
There certainly is something to be said about not being so reliant on one device (your phone)

jth7186

FNG
Already have the inReach, would like to hear some testimonials before switching just to save money.
That’s fair. Defy apparently operates on Inmarsat while garmin is on Iridium, which most view as superior to the old Inmarsat system. I’ve also read that Defy will eventually operate on multiple networks though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder if this will use cell or wifi when available like the Zoleo.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
One of these might be in my future.

I emailed Zoleo about battery capacity for my still in warranty (but barely) unit. They offered to send me a cord.

When I asked how a cord helps lengthen the life of a fully charged, unplugged battery, they stopped responding.

I don’t know if I replace it out of principle to stop giving them money or see if I can find a battery on Amazon.

Titan_Bow

WKR
From the article... "Recipients without the Bullitt Satellite Messenger app will receive your message via SMS, but will need to download the app if they want to respond."

Not sure I really like that, pretty sure when my wife texts me back when I inReach her, she's just doing it as a regular text message.

rideold

WKR
From the article... "Recipients without the Bullitt Satellite Messenger app will receive your message via SMS, but will need to download the app if they want to respond."

Not sure I really like that, pretty sure when my wife texts me back when I inReach her, she's just doing it as a regular text message.
Good catch. Not a huge deal if someone needs to download an app but the simplicity of how InReach works is nice for sure.