Mountainsmith LT for 2 with stove

Y'all who have this shelter, ; do you think I could comfortably fit me (6'8" 275lb) and my lady in here with a small stove ? Or should I look at getting something bigger for this set up. Would prefer more room than less.

I’m 5’10 and with the stove jack near the entrance and trying to keep my head a few inches from the top for condensation, I had maybe 1ft of clearance to the stove tops.

If your lady can take the stove side and you don’t need to keep a ton of stuff in the entrance/vestibule area, you’ll probably fit.

As far as sitting up, I can’t remember the height but getting in/out I had to crawl around the stove kind of carefully. You being taller
It could be pretty awkward.

I might think about a tipi or something...

You’ll need bigger. Depending on the time of year you’re camping, you may need to store several days of wood at a time so that you can get it dry and keep it dry. This takes a fair amount of room. Because of your size I think it would be more cramped than you might think for just you with the stove. You can gain a little bit of room if you use rope for the pitch rather than trekking poles. But under normal operation, it takes to trekking poles which takes up a fair amount of room.
For the money, these tents are well-made, waterproof, and relatively light weight. I’ve had several in like them but prefer the room of the Cimarron or other pyramid styles. it is almost the same weight.

I used mine without a stove for the first time this weekend. I'm 6-0, 220 and it was a little tight on the width for me and my four year old. We fit, but with the poles in place and each of use on one side of them, I was wallowing against the tent wall all night. I wouldn't have had an issue with it, but pitched on grass and with rain all night, condensation was pretty bad. Could maybe pitch it a bit higher off the ground (I had about an inch and a half) to get a little more space. This is going to be a one man shelter for me.

I have that set up, and I'm quite a bit smaller than you. It would be uncomfortably tight. If you were in a pinch it would work, but it is not something I would plan on using for anything more than a night. You would be better of getting something with more room.

I have this setup. At 6 foot 8, you’ll need the full length from the vestibule to the bottom. Problem there is, the stove is going to be too close to your face. I have fit 2 people + stove and it’s cramped for sure. If the person on the stove said has to pee, you both have to get up.

I think you need something bigger unless you are comfortable with tight quarters.

I think it would be too tight. I am 6'4" and I would not want to share my MT light, or have a stove in it. If I am running my stove, I typically bring my sawtooth.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I want to be able to use it for extended trips up to a month. I won't be using it for more than 2 people. What other floorless options should I check out ? I was looking at getting the black diamond megamid and sewing in a stove jack

I think the cimmaron is a great candidate for ya.
If you wanted smaller maybe the eolus but I'm not sure they have a stove option.
Jimmy tarps also has a pyramid shelter that is interesting and would probably fit ya well.

Personally I hate front entry tube style.
They buck the wind better.
But seems like so much more crawling.
And with 2 people your stuff is ether at your feet or above your head in the way of getting in,out.
Small tipi, pyramid is way to go for me.

For extended trips up to a month I would make sure the shelter has plenty of room!! What if you get stuck jn it for a couple days? I have the lt and have yet to use it. Still looking for a stove to see if that weird kuiu zip in stove jack is going to work.

Mountain SmithLT, Thats basically a supertarp size, I'm big like you 5'10 275-300#, but not tall. I'd say that's a no go.

My lady is 5'00 100# and we fit in a super tarp but wasn't comfy and that no stove.
For me that is a solo shelter unless it's pitched off the ground tarp style in warmer weather.

For me and her with a stove I bring my BCS2 grande ( soon to be replaced with a redcliff) and that'll be the smallest I'd probably go with a stove. But I can stand all they way up in it.

For you I'd be looking cimarron if your ok with the low ceiling height. But really a 6man would be good. Id hit up Montana marine he's tall and went through quite a few shelters before settling on 6 and 12 man tipis.

We're big, our clothes, bags, pads are all bigger so they're gonna weigh more. I gave up on a 2lbs shelter about a few years ago.

Also seriously look at an EE accomplice and 2 person pad, mines a Nemo Cosmo, for couples camping. Zipping two bags together doesn't work And I've tried every way to secure two one person pads together they all fail. Unless your lady doesn't mind being in a different bag on a different pad on the other side of the pole, then you could probably do a LBO at 2#11oz :)

Hope that helps

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Back