Moving to Missoula, MT… bad idea?

Shadow14

WKR
So I have a cool job opportunity that has come up quickly in Missoula, MT. We currently live in GA and my wife is from Oregon and would love to move back out west. We have two small children (so far) as well. I have already found what seems to be a decent church and will be visiting the area in December/January but I still have some concerns and questions as this would be a big move for my family.

What is the community in and around Missoula like? Has it turned into Bozeman? Isn’t it the Austin, TX of Montana? How did the area respond to Covid? Lockdowns and mask mandates? Did most people comply? How did the sherrifs respond? Any areas to stay away from?

How bad is the cost of living? Is there decent home availability?

What are the deer and elk hunting opportunities like within 2 hours or so of there? Are all the units in the area draw only or are there general archery/rifle tags?

Are there any good wade fishing opportunities close by?

Feel free to direct message me too. Any help or guidance yall can provide will be greatly appreciated. You can see from my questions what matters most to me when choosing a place to live.

My aunts side of the family has had land there since the early 1900’s and they’re starting to move elsewhere if that can give you any insight. It’s to cityish for me and my 8 cousins that grew up there say that to me all the time. Go spend a week there to see how you like it. For me going over there a weekend a month in the summer isn’t bad to stock up on groceries but I couldn’t live within a 30 mile radius of Missoula.

I’m born, raised, and still live in Missoula your more than welcome to Pm me any questions

The cost of living has gotten out of control for us local folks. Your starter homes are right around mid 400’s to 600’s and of course everything else above that is pricing accordingly. Houses with a little breathing room with property are horribly expensive. 1.2M+.

elk hunting within 2 hours in my opinion is tough but do able. Deer hunting you can leave out your back door within 20 minutes and do pretty decent.

Missoula isn’t as safe as it used to be. We have a pretty intense transient population. Is it as bad as other places? No, but it’s worse than it ever has been. I wouldn’t be buying a house on the north or west side of Missoula. But all the other neighborhoods can have their issues too. Missoula votes blue. Everyone that voted red either tolerates living there or they go down the bitterroot and make the icky commute into town for work. The drive in the winter can be a doozy and wrecks always hold people up a time or two on their commute.

Hellgate elementary is the public school that everyone wants their kids to go to.

We are loosing our small town feel, but parts of it are still there. Missoula is a very community focused town and there is lots of things going on all the time. And it’s easy to get in the woods and find solitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
I’m born, raised, and still live in Missoula your more than welcome to Pm me any questions

The cost of living has gotten out of control for us local folks. Your starter homes are right around mid 400’s to 600’s and of course everything else above that is pricing accordingly. Houses with a little breathing room with property are horribly expensive. 1.2M+.

elk hunting within 2 hours in my opinion is tough but do able. Deer hunting you can leave out your back door within 20 minutes and do pretty decent.

Missoula isn’t as safe as it used to be. We have a pretty intense transient population. Is it as bad as other places? No, but it’s worse than it ever has been. I wouldn’t be buying a house on the north or west side of Missoula. But all the other neighborhoods can have their issues too. Missoula votes blue. Everyone that voted red either tolerates living there or they go down the bitterroot and make the icky commute into town for work. The drive in the winter can be a doozy and wrecks always hold people up a time or two on their commute.

Hellgate elementary is the public school that everyone wants their kids to go to.

We are loosing our small town feel, but parts of it are still there. Missoula is a very community focused town and there is lots of things going on all the time. And it’s easy to get in the woods and find solitude.

This is a fantastically accurate summary IMHO.

I glass up killable herds of cows from my living room throughout the season but it’s a hike to get to them.

Bad crime in Missoula is safe as shit virtually anywhere else for the same size city. Petty thief type stuff for the most part. Lock your car doors and don’t leave your bike on the porch.

mt100gr.

WKR
I spent about 5 years there during college. A friend's dad was calling it Berkeley North, back then, 20 years ago.....anymore, unless I have to go, I avoid Missoula. There was a time in my life that it was fun, then fun to visit. Now it's fun to leave.

My usual response when someone says they went to Missoula is: "on purpose???"

OP
Shadow14

Shadow14

WKR

Thank you!! I might PM you as well. So you would recommend looking in like Powell or granite county? Also 500k is so much money for a decent home lolol

Marshfly

WKR
Thank you!! I might PM you as well. So you would recommend looking in like Powell or granite county? Also 500k is so much money for a decent home lolol

What you have to realize is that for the most part, recreation opportunities here are free and plentiful. When I think about what we are able to do here as a day trip or even after work or school, the housing cost is totally ok. Still high but ok.

Commutes in the winter can be tough. There will be significantly more snow as you go up in elevation outside of town. Tread carefully for a first move to the mountains before buying too far from your job.