Moving up leupold vx3i to Swarovski z3. Worth it???

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m in the process of getting all my gear to where I want it. I have a kimber Montana 308 which I use for sheep and goat hunting and I’ve used a leupold vx3i 2.5-8 for the past 2 seasons and actually like it quite wellz

I’m wondering if upgrading to a Swarovski z3 3-10brh would be worth it. As I see it I can get a z3 for around 700 bucks, should be easy enough to get 3-325 for my vx3i (or just keep it for the next rifle I get).

Do you think that upgrade is worth it??? Noticeable differences??? Has anybody else made that switch???

Thank you!!!

I noticed a difference personally when i compared them before picking up the swaro.
I'm at the point now where I would sell my Zeiss for the Z3 3-10x42 because they are very clear.
I was told by an optics pro i would have to move up to the VX5 series to get the same clarity.
Id try and fondle one and see what your eyes like.

handwerk

WKR
I have quite a few Z3's and like them very much. To me they are brighter and have a sharper image when compared to the VX 3's I've used. I'd suggest looking at the swaro 4a reticle, my all time favorite.

wyosteve

WKR
Thinhorn, I made the exact switch about 4 yrs. ago. Went from the Leupold 2.5 to the Swaro 3-10. Honestly, I think I'm going to put the Leupold back on. To me, the crosshairs in the Leupold seem 'crisper' and clarity is as good or better than the Swaro. The Swaro is also slightly larger than the Leupold. Don't get me wrong, the Swaro is a good scope and I've killed critters with it, but I prefer the Leupold. If you decide to go Swaro, shoot me a pm, I may be selling mine.

Has your current scope ever caused you to miss an opportunity that the new one wouldn’t? I kinda doubt it. IMO for a piece of gear used approximately 10 seconds per year it’s hard to justify that much $$$$$

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Has your current scope ever caused you to miss an opportunity that the new one wouldn’t? I kinda doubt it. IMO for a piece of gear used approximately 10 seconds per year it’s hard to justify that much $$$$$

Nope, I actually like my vx3i I just finished some extra work so I have some play money which I havn't had for a few years so I'm going over my list and picking up some things that I've been wanting for awhile (hilleberg tent, western mountaineering sleeping bag, swarovski spotter etc).

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have a few pieces of Swarovski optics, including the z3. In my opinion they are far superior to other optics I have owned. I have an older 3.5-10 I sent in for cleaning and reticle change and it is as good as the day I bought it. There are other comparable optics out there, but it would be hard to find better in my experience.

Axlrod

WKR
I have the z3 ( and a z5, & z6) also a few Leo's, Zeiss, Trijicon, N.F. etc. the only thing I dont like about the z3 is the lack of parallax adj. the glass on the swaro's is far better than anything I have.

I went from Leupold VX III to Zeiss Diavari-C, now have a Swaro Z-5. If you can handle a few extra $$, I think the jump to a Z5 would be worth it. The Z5 has 4 coil springs in the erector assembly, and the Z3 only has 1 leaf spring. The 4 springs add to the ability to tract more accurately if you are spinning the knobs instead of using the reticle for distance shooting.

Last edited: