MT bear attack

Not a good start to the season. I hope they have an expedient full recovery.

"Complacency is the kiss of death"
~some lady

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another reason "high risk" groups like hunters should ditch the spray and go with lead. It's probably the same bear in both attacks and maybe the 2nd group would have been spared if this problem bear was put down right away. It's going to happen anyway, right? Most bears involved in attacks are shot anyway, why let them roam until Fish and Game can track them down.

jd30069

FNG
I have always hunted solo, this year no exception ..... every time i read these encounters makes me wonder

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
If you're huting the Tom Miner Basin, best have at least two and be fast when retrieving the kill or Grizz will be there within an hour. Stay safe and have a great time hunting

K

Kootenay Hunter

Are there experiences of the 'gun shot dinner bell' in MT? It's been widely reported phenomenon in SE BC, the griz have figured out that a gun shot often means a gut pile and they start to make their way over....good case for bowhunting;)

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
That's what happens in TMB, two yrs. ago the first week the warden had told us he had had five hunters chased off their kills there and be careful when we got there.

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another reason "high risk" groups like hunters should ditch the spray and go with lead. It's probably the same bear in both attacks and maybe the 2nd group would have been spared if this problem bear was put down right away. It's going to happen anyway, right? Most bears involved in attacks are shot anyway, why let them roam until Fish and Game can track them down.

Not necessarily, if a bear is just doing normal bear things, ie attacks someone because it got surprised, protecting cubs, food, then they usually don't kill it. If they're being predatory, going after people in tents, or like what happened to that guide/hunter in Wyo then most likely they'll kill them. So depending on what they find out will determine if they kill the bear.

I do have to say it seems like game and fish is taking a more active role this year quite a few trail closures or maybe there are just more instances going on. They had closed a big area just to the east of these attacks because of a large concentration of grizz feeding on dead cattle.
https://mtstandard.com/news/local/c...cle_b6f05cf4-bea1-525b-a6d3-b3e303b0b255.html

They also just closed another trail south of Big Sky due to a dead horse knowing that a bear would probably be on it soon.
https://www.facebook.com/explorebigsky/photos/a.183203748385454/2507248139314325/?type=3&theater

sneaky

"DADDY"
There was another attack just a few days ago about 8 miles from where these guys were attacked. Talked to a guy on AT who knows the hunter that got attacked. Tore his foot up pretty good, puncture wounds in his thigh. He had a 45 on him and shot it multiple times in the head and body. Said it didn't even phase the bear. I am waiting to hear back from him on what loads he was using in the 45. He was fortunate sounds like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

I have quick clot packs in all my first aid kits, hunting, cutting wood, etc. They're cheap and compact (vacuum sealed).

sidog

FNG
Great information, new to the elk game and trying to stay out of bear country as much as possible but if I go will make sure to get clot packs and maybe a Glock 10.