MT elk update?

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone on the east side of the rockies hearing much for rut activity? Was there for a few days last week and it was pretty quiet and slow with lots of rain and wind. Planning on heading back out this weekend for another week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
Been hunting from 9/8. Bulls in central MT weren't really fired up until yesterday. Had multiple young bulls coming in silent or would answer and not come in until I forced their hand and got in their red zone. Yesterday they were pretty fired up in the herd I was hunting with multiple bulls fighting and bugling until I had to leave at noon. I'm in eastern MT now and it seems pretty slow yet out here.

OP
H

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I was going to head out this weekend and stay for another week but the weather looks like a lot of rain (18th -22nd, dont seem to do well in the heavy rain) and I have the feeling I might be a tad early for the peak. Thinking i might be better off heading out friday the 23rd and hoping the weather cooperates a bit more.

Last edited:

Ted

FNG
I am hoping to use the rain to help cover up some of the fact that I am human ;) but we we'll see. Hoping for snow up high.
I am heading into HD 313 with the bow for Thurs and Friday, Sept 22-23. I pulled an anterless permit for 313 this year so am pretty excited that I might fill the freezer this year.
I have hunted a bunch throughout Region 3 but only a little bit around Dome Mt in 313, so am looking for any suggestions. My boots do like to put on the miles so don't hold back on the potential punishment :)
Regards,
Ted

Jaguigui

FNG
The past hunt we were on 9/17-9/19 had Bulls bugling all day and night. It was crazy. The windy conditions (swirling) made it hard to stalk and call . We had a nice bull come in at 45 yds but the damn side wind on those mountains busted us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Was out east end of last week, never heard a bugle. Spotted multiple bulls with cows, but never saw them pushing them around.. headed to Western MT, rain dumped on us last night, got into a few talkers today. Big bull didn't want to play. Laid in his bed and half assed chuckled

jmez

WKR
Haven't been out yet. I leave tomorrow. Hunt south Central MT. Reports from a group that just came out and a local that I know are things are slow. Not much bugling at all. If they were seeing them it was small bulls with a few cows.

Our area has been stark quiet, there's elk around but they are all coming in quiet, so we are heading farther south in the next 3 days to see if we can find some rut activity

Jon Boy

WKR
Getting into some good rutting activity in eastern montana. I almost hate the peak rut as its so dang hard to get with in bow range of herded up bulls!

slick

WKR
Western MT bulls are fired up with this cold front and rain.

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Went out last night toward Libby area and it was ULTRA quiet out not a breath of wind and sat on a water hole for a few hours and not a single sound came out of the woods. No bugles no owls not anything. Was stifling quiet and was hoping to hear something even in the distance stayed after dark hoping they would fire up...and nada.

OP
H

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Im out right now...just got here yesterday afternoon... didnt hear a thing until this morning...2 bulls bugling for about 3 hours and thats it.

hobbes

WKR
Im not anywhere close to Kalispell, but I got on a good bull this morning at a little after 8. He'd sound off at every cow call I made for almost an hour until I got in close. The wind finally swirled and gave me away. I was only able to see one of the cows he had.

Gumbo

WKR
Elk in my area of SW Montana are rutting like mad. I watched a big 5x6 breed two cows in between chasing a medium-sized 5x5 off. The 5x5 in turn was chasing a couple raghorns around, and fortunately chased one of the raghorns right by me. The raggy 5x5 took a Rage to the lungs at 53 yards. They were all bugling and raking horns in the willows, and the cows were mewing like crazy. This was Sunday the 25th.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Central MT Bulls were wound up this weekend, very rare for locates to get responses, but they were going nuts Sunday night.