"Mudding Gear"

Scruggs

FNG
Has anyone ever researched mudding gear like you do for layout blinds for duck and goose hunting? Wouldn't large game be able to pick your brand new sitka out that is super bright just like waterfowl can with blinds? Just a curious if anyone has tried and has noticed anything.

dtrkyman

WKR
46dcf46674486e29398a2192a331223c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've never done it to camo on purpose. My orange I dirty up really good before use. Not a bad idea though. Maybe that is why my 8 year old scentlok suit is so good in early season. It has a bunch of mud and blood stains that never come out.

gabenzeke

WKR
For waterfowl blinds, you're adding foliage on top of the mud when you're done. So I guess if you do it to your big game clothes you'd need to make a ghillie? Seems awful to me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

SivvyB

FNG
I mean, even color blind people probably detect brighter colors, even that should go for the cervicides

If you want to mud-down a $700 jacket that’s your prerogative.

I can attest that the trend of mudding layouts is a bunch of nonsense. I bought into it in the early 2000’s and still have a pwr hunter, finisher and x-lander mudded because that’s what Fred Zink said to do. In the last 10yrs I’ve probably been in the field w/ 30-50 blinds that haven’t been mudded and have seen zero noticeable difference. Several have been “put together” that morning and set up. Literally thousands of geese have died in those hunts, not one we didn’t kill could I say was because a blind wasn’t mudded, bad hide sure but mud vs not mudded makes no difference

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
If you want to mud-down a $700 jacket that’s your prerogative.

I can attest that the trend of mudding layouts is a bunch of nonsense. I bought into it in the early 2000’s and still have a pwr hunter, finisher and x-lander mudded because that’s what Fred Zink said to do. In the last 10yrs I’ve probably been in the field w/ 30-50 blinds that haven’t been mudded and have seen zero noticeable difference. Several have been “put together” that morning and set up. Literally thousands of geese have died in those hunts, not one we didn’t kill could I say was because a blind wasn’t mudded, bad hide sure but mud vs not mudded makes no difference
Only time I have seen it be effective is spring Snow Goose hunting in a really clean corn field where there wasn't really any stubble and in sunflower fields around standing water in the spring...100% resulted in birds finishing.

Other than I think decently stubbled or covered blinds and eliminating shadows is the key.

As far as clothing...shit gets dirty and dusty enough without rolling it around on purpose in the mud.

Deer and elk see differently than we do, I am carful to not use any detergents with UV brightener.

Unrelated to hunting, I also don’t like fragrances in general, so we use one detergent for everything in our house year round. I have a small keychain black light that came with one of my kids’ toys years ago, but you can get them on Amazon too. 95% of detergent glows like crazy in the UV light.

We used to use Ecos free and clear but I haven’t been able to find it at Walmart lately so I took the black light while doing my shopping last week and found that Tide Free & Gentle is good to go. That will be our new go to and it’s easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to kill deer in blue jeans and red plaid shirt. Wind and holding still when they’re looking at you are far more important than camo. In other words they’re more likely to pick up your motion or scent than color of your clothes. Oh … also be quiet.

All that being said I have a full outfit in sitka optifade, cause I don’t want to be seen by the hoomans.

Yoder

WKR
I wash all my hunting clothes in whatever detergent we have at the time, then throw it in the dryer with a dryer sheet. They come out static free and snuggly soft. Apparently the deer could care less as long as you are down wind and don't move around a lot. I used to use all of the scent control products, scent loc, rubber boots, scent free soaps, got dressed outside and I "forgot the wind and just hunted". I stopped doing all of that nonsense, hunt the wind and take special care of how I access my spots and kill way more deer than ever. Gadgets, $700 jackets and new Tacomas don't kill deer. Spend your time and money on scouting.

Just mount one of these to your backpack. Then you can wear your camo and comply with orange requirements
img}
trackside_atv_safety_flag8_750x750.jpg