Muzzle break options

Gusbus208

FNG
Hey everyone,

Curious what everyone is running for a muzzle break? Looking at upgrading my stocker that came on my waypoint to something that would help out a little more with spotting impacts. Starting to dabble in some PRS/ NRL stuff. Shooting a 6.5 creed and can see impacts but often times am not able to see exact impacts so adjustments are tricky. Rifle is 9 pounds loaded so I have a little room for weight if needed. Looking at SRS ti, area 419 and the MPA. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I use a APA little bastard and fat bastard on all my rifles. They do a great job reducing the recoil! With that being said you do not want to shoot one without ear pro while hunting (ask me how I know). A lot of guys like the are 419 and from the sounds of it they are very comparable to the APAs. If you are interested in a tuner brake it sounds like the Strike without warning is the way to go for them. According to the testing on their website they are getting even better recoil reduction than the APAs or 419s with the tuner brake.

Roll my own… sorry, being a smart ass. Most three baffle side port brakes will do well up through Win mag size rounds. I add an extra port once you get into the RUM size powder capacities.

Attachments

• 9B1E8CF7-11EA-45B0-859D-F43AA50ADD92.jpeg
    9B1E8CF7-11EA-45B0-859D-F43AA50ADD92.jpeg
    778.3 KB · Views: 33
  • EAD48029-A28E-448C-8DDF-49ABFC5197AA.jpeg
    EAD48029-A28E-448C-8DDF-49ABFC5197AA.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 33
  • CDCA89BF-CD82-49AA-B6C2-EAB920C27F38.jpeg
    CDCA89BF-CD82-49AA-B6C2-EAB920C27F38.jpeg
    566.4 KB · Views: 32
I'm also a fan of APA, they work very well. I have a micro bastard on a 6.5x47, which has comparable recoil to a 6.5 creed. No problem spotting impacts. I'm also interested in the SRS, and Boring Rifles Supra bee for my next build. I would go APA again, but they don't make a model that will blend with the barrel contour I've chosen.

I run a 419 sidewinder on a 9lb 300 win mag and it is insanely effective. Like into the light 308 feel if that. It’s a joke letting people see it go off and then they experience behind the trigger there being almost nothing but a small bit of recoil.

5 port muscle brake on 300 wby results in minimally perceived recoil and markedly improved consistency. May be worth looking at their smaller offerings for 6.5. It made my wby enjoyable and worth keeping…

Really, how many have you compared and how are you comparing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had a bunch of different brakes. There's been several scientific tests over the years too and the APA's are always at the top. They're also consistently the #1 brake used by top PRS shooters which is a game of recoil management.

I've had a bunch of different brakes. There's been several scientific tests over the years too and the APA's are always at the top. They're also consistently the #1 brake used by top PRS shooters which is a game of recoil management.
When comparing apples to apples(angled baffles)APA’s come in mid pack. Most of the “tests” you see are angled baffles against straight baffles.

Here is a apples to apples test

Here is a apples to oranges test

APA makes a great break but its defiantly not the most effective!

When comparing apples to apples(angled baffles)APA’s come in mid pack. Most of the “tests” you see are angled baffles against straight baffles.

Here is a apples to apples test

Here is a apples to oranges test

APA makes a great break but its defiantly not the most effective!

I guess all those too pro shooters who consistently choose APA brakes for the most part are wrong then.

I just rewatched the video, his brake performed to best. Yeah, there wouldn’t be any bias in that to mess with results, huh? He’s got skin in the game.

Last edited:
Back