Muzzleloader Elk in Colorado - Bullet Choice

A minority voice here, but .50 Aerolite powerbelt. Had bad luck with the copper/platinum powerbelts, but great luck with the Aerolites - great expansion/accuracy/retention and shoot well out of my CVA Wolf w/ 95gr. 777

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Are you guys using the lubed pad at the base of the Thor bullet?

No you don’t use a line pad the bullet is inverted at the bottom and pocketed when the powder goes off it expands to act like a sabot or a pad . The Thor is deadly accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this thread - i have a traditions buckstalker and was looking at buying some thor bullets. Whats your experience been with hollow point vs ballistic tip? What grain bullet?

I just bought today for this september, i was planning on using my powerbelts but i didnt realize the barrel diameters were different.

Bumping this thread - i have a traditions buckstalker and was looking at buying some thor bullets. Whats your experience been with hollow point vs ballistic tip? What grain bullet?

I just bought today for this september, i was planning on using my powerbelts but i didnt realize the barrel diameters were different.
I hear good things about Thors but never used them. We have been using the Federal Bor Loks for the last few years and killed several elk and mule deer with them with great success. Full copper ballistic tip.

Tsimms

FNG
Barnes TMZ has been my go to out of my encore. 250gr shoots accurately and has killed everything it has hit.

whitetail88arch

Lil-Rokslider
Barnes TMZ has been my go to out of my encore. 250gr shoots accurately and has killed everything it has hit.

I love my Barnes TMZ too but they are saboted? Unless they make one sabotless nowadays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrhardin

FNG
One more vote on the Bor Lokts. Been doing some experimentation and have been really satisfied between it and the No Excuses. B3A2377A-33A6-4B8B-81E5-E86C0520C995.jpeg
No excuses on the bottom, Bor Lokts on the top. BH209 powder for both at 75 yards with iron sights.

Fieds3536

FNG
In my cva optima and accura the federal bor locks shoot great. But only with federal 209a primers. With cci magnum primers they either barely make it out of the barrel or don’t at all. 84gr blackhorn 209.

ColoradoV

WKR
460gr No Excuses…

I shoot them out if a Doc White..

Last edited:

Rambo

FNG
4 bulls with Thor bullets and they have all performed flawlessly. None have passed through but all retrieved near the hide on the opposite side. And for those that asked or don’t know, no lube or patch with the Thors. You first get a test kit with .500, .501, .502, .503 micrometered bullets. Then you order what fits your muzzy with a certain amount of pressure. 👍IMG_0442.jpeg

Hnthrdr

WKR
Shot powerbelts at pronghorn and deer, but was speaking with a guy who is turning me towards TC maxi balls 370 grn. Gonna try them through my accura v2 100 grn of trip 7, black horn has become too expensive and hard to come by

I like no excuses and I do use a wad over the powder charge to improve the gas seal. I shoot a 54 cal. Hawken with a fast twist 1-24 barrel. It's a 2" gun at 100 yards with open sights and is legal in every state.

Del Gue

FNG
I am heading to Colorado this September for the elk muzzleloader season. Got my 1-28'' twist GM barrel Renegade. 460 grain NEX Bullshop conicals, wool wad and 85 weighted grains of Swiss 2F.
Good out to 200 yards with the Lyman 57SML peep sight and .04 green fiber optic front sight.