Muzzleloader Hunting Success Thread

Floridave

FNG
Maybe I've missed it, but is there a Muzzleloader Hunting Success thread? If not, here we go. Post'em up! I know this will not be along the lines of what most are using in the current muzzeloader/primitive weapons seasons, but using my Lyman Great Plains 54 cal, that I built from kit near 30 years ago. Been hanging on my office wall since then, probably shot it about 20 -30 times. Took it hunting for the first time a few weeks ago and was successful in tagging a big doe. With the 25-30 year old caps, round ball and Pyrodex I bought way back then!

20 yards
54 cal round ball facing straight on.

265528-MuzzleDeer-20231023.jpg

Last edited:

kjw

WKR
Maybe I've missed it, but is there a Muzzleloader Hunting Success thread? If not, here we go. Post'em up! I know this will not be along the lines of what most are using in the current muzzeloader/primitive weapons seasons, but using my Lyman Great Plains 54 cal, that I built from kit near 30 years ago. Been hanging on my office wall since then, probably shot it about 20 -30 times. Took it hunting for the first time a few weeks ago and was successful in tagging a big doe. With the 25-30 year old caps, round ball and Pyrodex I bought way back then!

20 yards
54 cal round ball facing straight on.

View attachment 636286
That’s awesome, my neighbor across the street is too old to get out and hunt anymore and he keeps offering his old school muzzies for me to use on a hunt. I believe he said they are green rivers. Might have to take him up on it and leave the modern gun at home. Congrats. Gonna be some good eating

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
My first Bull, and first hunt with a Muzzleloader. This was a fun, hard, and rewarding hunt. Day 1 we found lots of elk, finally found a big bull, and made a stalk. He had 30 cows bedded around him and 2 other bulls on the side of the mountain. We made it to 250 yards before the wind shifted and those cows got up and blew out of there.
Day 2 we found another nice bull, we saw where he went into the trees, but he just disappeared we never saw him again.
Day 3 we didn’t see a single Elk all morning. For the afternoon, we went and sat up on the hill above where the elk disappeared into the trees from the day before. At just about sunset there was a bugle and we started watching cows start filing out of the forest into the flats. At the end of the line of cows was this guy. He wasn’t as big as the guy from the morning before, but I wasn’t going to pass up an opportunity.
I made my way down through the forest into the edge of the flats. There just happened to be a perfect little rise between me and the elk. I slowly made my way up until I could see the elk. The bull was at 190 yards. After waiting for what seemed like forever I finally had a shot. I sent a 290 grain Barnes TMZ into him as he was quartering towards me. He ran another 40 yards and stopped and started to stumble. I had reloaded and sent a second round at 230 yards that hit him through both shoulders and he went down.
My Nevada bull hunt was a success.IMG_3351.jpeg

Last edited:

kjw

WKR
Ive tinkered in the past with muzzleloaders doing some whitetail hunts at my brother in laws in Tennessee. This year I had to get serious as I cashed in points on a late season elk tag. First elk with a muzzy and best bull ever. Glassed him under a cedar over a mile out. After a tricky stalk to keep the wind right I was at 120 yds laying prone. After a 2 hr wait he finally stood and tried to sneak out the back door. 325 gr fury put him down after a forty yard sprint

Attachments

• IMG_6402.jpeg
    IMG_6402.jpeg
    594.2 KB · Views: 71
First two hunts with a muzzy including my biggest public land buck.
ddd1050568dc9c396dfaa0ecc02a5eb3.jpg

b27720159e6ddb05a345d6d143fb1aff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk