Muzzy Hunt - Bullet Recommendations

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
I was lucky enough to draw a NM muzzy tag for this upcoming season and this is actually my first time ever hunting elk with a muzzleloader. In fact, first time ever hunting with a muzzleloader period. I have a TC Triumph that I purchased for the possibility of drawing a CO muzzy tag as I'm kinda in no man's land with PPs. With the CO restrictions, I don't have any saboted bullets, only the Bore Drivers, but was looking at the Traditions Smackdown SSTs or maybe the Barnes Spit Fires. I guess the adage of a well placed bullet appliles, but any advantage to 250 vs 300 on an elk? Given that NM went to open sites, I'm not sure I'd be shooting too much farther than 100 yards unless conditions were perfect. Just curious what bullets the seasoned muzzy guys rely on for elk. Thanks!

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Interested to see the responses - I'm in the same situation for moose. People seem to like Thor and No Excuses, but everything I've been able to find is pretty anecdotal. I killed one with a Powerbelt in the neck, but I'm not really that happy with how they shoot.

There's a lot of very differently constructed bullets and not much information on how the construction affects terminal performance at muzzleloader velocities (at least that I've been able to find).

It doesn't help that muzzleloader restrictions are all over the place and consequently everyone's working with a different set of parameters.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last year my daughter used the Hornady Bore Driver ELD-X on her cow moose. It didn't even make it 20 yards and fell over. Great accuracy at the range with 90gr BH. In 2017 her sister shot a big bull elk with a 338gr Powerbelt Platinum. It worked, but there was absolutely no blood anywhere on the ground or the side of the bull. I had to search with my hand to find the entrance hole. He went about 80 yards. If he had run further, it might have been real difficult to find him with no blood. The hit on the moose was high double lung (just like the elk) but there was plenty of blood on the ground and on the side of the moose. Both shots were under 40 yards and close to the same distance.

CMF

WKR
It doesn't help that muzzleloader restrictions are all over the place and consequently everyone's working with a different set of parameters.
This is definitely something to consider. You can use sabots and pellets in NM but not CO, we hunted NM in 2021 with scope, pellets and powerbelts, see elk in profile pic. But then hunted CO this past season so we had to switch to loose powder and full bore bullets.
I ended up getting a new CVA MR-X put a Williams fiber optic globe sight. With BH209 it shoots Powerbelt ELR's(330) and Thor 300 almost equally as well.
My daughter took her elk in CO this year with the ELR's and it performed well.
If you know you'll eventually hunt CO, I'd find a combination that meets those requirements as well so you aren't back to the drawing board when you draw CO.
I'm not sure I'd be shooting too much farther than 100 yards unless conditions were perfect.
I think 150 is pretty doable.

I have been using Barnes TMZ 250gn bullets and BH 209 for a long time out of a TC Encore Pro Hunter. I added a rear peep from EABCO. Huge difference in iron sight accuracy. I have whacked several muzz bucks between 190 and 210yds with that peep and some practice.

Thor 250 or 300’s for elk. Full bore conicals and loose BH209 that make a very accurate and effective load. Ive recovered the thors from elk and deer (they have not typically passed through, just stopped on the backside hide). They dont lose their weight (except the 3 grains from the plastic tip). Ive not shot sabots too much, but it seems like their advantages are diminished without the use of optics on the rifle. The .50 caliber Thor is a chunkier hunk of intention heading down range. And in my rifles they shoot within 2” at 100 at around 1850 fps.

I like the PeepRib sight too. It allows you to develop loads with a scope and then strip it off and shoot the peep sight for hunting. Good luck to you and congrats on the NM tag!

For open sight/no sabot muzzy elk hunting I would go with a good penetrating 300+ grain bullet. I have 2 of my muzzies sighted in with the Thor 300 gr Lighting (Universal fit) bullet on top of BH209. I keep my shots no further than 100-125 yds. at live game. If the state you're hunting allows sabots, consider some of the Barnes saboted bullets for elk.

OP
fap1800

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. This has all been a lot of great information for me to digest and consider. Thanks, all, for the input. Truly appreciated. I have a lot of work to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
I've had good accuracy with the boredrivers and 209. However, sometimes the terminal performance leaves a bit to be desired. I've seen too many powerbelts leave absolutely no blood trail for up to 75yds resulting in lost animals here in the thick woods and I wouldn't use them at all.

The harvester gold bullets have worked better than the FTX and shoot almost as good for me.

I'll be testing the barnes expander bullets this year. All behind BH 209 and cci magnum 209s.

GeoHunter

FNG
This is the Barnes Spitfire I recovered from just under the hide on the opposite side of the bull in my profile picture. 86 yard broadside shot and managed to double lung him. He went less than 100 yds after the shot. This was in NV so using 150 grains 777 pelletized powder
IMG_1264.jpeg