My 2016 DIY Alaska Moose Hunt

cnelk

WKR
Like many, an Alaskan moose hunt has always been on my bucket list.

This was my year to cross that off the list.

I carried my bow for a few days but I ended up using a rifle to seal the deal in the thick black spruce.

By no means is an Alaska Moose hunt easy, but definitely worth doing!

Enjoy the video

DIY Alaska Moose Hunt 2016 - YouTube

KJH

WKR
Amazing video. I could almost feel myself there... Great stuff.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks truly enjoy the video. Congratulations that bull definitely has the WOW factor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting the video. Looks like you had a great trip.

Pilots don't get much better than HiM.

dariny

FNG
I was privileged to go on an DIY Alaskan Moose hunt on September 5-25, 2016. I worked with a new company called Alaska Monster Moose Transporters, LLC out of Holy Cross, Alaska. They have 139,000 acres of Native corporation land to hunt on and you pay them to hunt on it and drop you off on it. I was contracted to do their photography for the marketing of their new business in exchange for a moose hunt. Since I was a paying client I went and got my moose early on September 8th. I use a Diamond bow normally but had a backup Marlin 45.70 for this unique trip. This company was great for DIY! Their website is Home

I spotted my moose on the banks of the Innoko River near the village of Holy Cross. I was taking pictures of the massive bull before he went into the brush. Out there it is mostly flat with lots of trees and meadows. So the boat operator let me off with my bow and I went into the thick brush. As I came out of the brush into a clearing, the monster moose was about 75 yards away. He was with a younger bull and they stood their ground. I proceeded by moving slowly towards them to see how far he would let me get. After he started trotting off a second time I let out a cow call and they stopped again. I could not let this monster get away! But I still could not get close enough to him so I dropped my bow and pulled out my Marlin 1895 Guide Edition Lever-Action 45.70. I dropped him about 200 yards from the boat. Then the fun began! It took me 3 hours to field dress him and I hired some help from the village to get it carried out of the field because the company can’t help you carry it to the boat per Alaska State Transporter rules. I brought home over 500 lbs of meat, hunter sticks, polish sausage, and hot dogs. His antlers came in at a 58 3/4" spread with 43" tall paddles! It was a once in a lifetime hunt and a bucket list item! I recommend it and their company to anyone.
View attachment 43982
View attachment 43983
View attachment 43984
View attachment 43985
View attachment 43986