My daughter survived Covid and returned to work today!

fmyth

WKR
My 32 year old daughter is a CVICU nurse on a surgical heart team in Scottsdale AZ. Her patients are all circling the drain so they get surgery even if they have Covid. Knowing this we have been worried about her since this all began. Her supervisor was diagnosed with Covid the last week of September. The following Saturday my daughter woke with a headache and realized she had lost her sense of smell. She put a Halls Menthol cough drop in her mouth and could not taste or smell it. She went to the local urgent care for a Covid test. She learned on Monday that the test was positive for Covid. She had no fever and told me she felt like she had a sinus headache for the first few days. She spent 2 weeks at home with her husband and 14 month old daughter. Neither her daughter or husband had any symptoms and her daughter had to be tested before she could return to daycare today. She tested negative. I am not in the medical field and am no scientist. I know that this is only one case and my daughter is a healthy 32 year old with no underlying medical conditions. I am surprised that her husband didn't get it (or at least he did not have any symptoms).

I know many of you have children and are likely worried what might happen if they get Covid. Perhaps sharing my daughters positive outcome will help ease your fear a little.

BrentH

WKR
Glad your daughter is doing well, and appreciate what she does as a nurse.

I have had three family members test positive for Covid back in June...my dad (age 65), grandma (age 88), and aunt (age mid 50’s). They were all infected from the same instance. They are all doing fine now.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Glad your daughter is doing well, and appreciate what she does as a nurse.

I have had three family members test positive for Covid back in June...my dad (age 65), grandma (age 88), and aunt (age mid 50’s). They were all infected from the same instance. They are all doing fine now.
Thanks for sharing. I am glad to hear your family recovered and is doing well.

tdhanses

WKR
My girlfriend and her kids had it, pretty similar experience. My hunting buddy and his daughter got it with the same. My ex mother-in law that is 75 with underlying issues had it and she had the worst experience but still came out of it saying really bad flu. A cousin in WA had it with minor symptom.

I’ve yet to know anyone that had a really serious issue and had to be hospitalized but really I’ve only known about 10 or so that had it.

Glad to hear your daughters experience was similar to the people I’ve known that had it.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear that your daughter is ok. Both my parents, little brother, his wife and their five kids had it. My brother spent 5 days hospitalized, when he got out my dad took his room and spent 5 days also. Directly after he was released my mom also admitted and due to her underlying conditions they didn't think she was going to make it. But thank God she beat it and all are doing fine now. It was a scary time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Conroy

WKR
I had it and I have no underlying conditions. I had symptoms similar to fall allergies and loss of taste and smell. I worked for a week not thinking anything was wrong. On the 10th day after my symptoms were first noticed, I had chest pains and went to the ER. I ended up having a blood clot in my lung. I am on blood thinners until December and then I will be rechecked for clots. I still don't have full sense of taste, and I can't smell anything. My girlfriend and her daughter had it as well and only had low fevers, congestion and a cough. The weird thing is, my son never got it. We work together and live in the same house, we drive together to work each day.

Drenalin

WKR
Me, my wife, our 4 year old, and our 1 year old all got it in March. It ran right through the kids - nothing but mild fevers for five days and a little congestion. I had a couple headaches and lost my sense of smell for around a month. My wife spent four days in bed, ran a fever for seven days, and lost her sense of smell. Other than my wife saying her sense of smell hasn't come all the way back yet, we made it out just fine.

I work with a guy whose ninety-something year old father got it in a nursing home. He apparently came right out of it.

Glad to hear the OP's family is doing well now, and the other folks mentioned here!

Fatcamp

WKR
Scary stuff. I care for Covid patients and while most don't have much of an issue those who do, really do. My three patients yesterday were all in their early 60's, no serious underlying issues, and they are in bad shape.

If I haven't had it probably only a matter of time. I was really sick in March with many of the symptoms, but am too cheap to pay $80 for the antibody test.

Laramie

WKR
Scary stuff. I care for Covid patients and while most don't have much of an issue those who do, really do. My three patients yesterday were all in their early 60's, no serious underlying issues, and they are in bad shape.

If I haven't had it probably only a matter of time. I was really sick in March with many of the symptoms, but am too cheap to pay $80 for the antibody test.
Donate blood... Free antibody test

Wrench

WKR

I just received word that I now have to test every 7 days for work. Fun.

Fatcamp

WKR
I just received word that I now have to test every 7 days for work. Fun.

Are you medical? I'm an RN on a cardiopulmonary floor. Never been tested but have never shown symptoms other than March which was prior to the current level of testing/reaction/whatever.

Wrench

WKR
I'm a facility manager for two correctional facilities. Everything was fine until they wanted to stop the spread by monitoring those who travel between facilities....but I have an office in each so it appears my sinuses will feel like an old hooker before this is over.

Fatcamp

WKR
I'm a facility manager for two correctional facilities. Everything was fine until they wanted to stop the spread by monitoring those who travel between facilities....but I have an office in each so it appears my sinuses will feel like an old hooker before this is over.

Yup, correctional workers are frontline and definitely affected. Good on you for doing a really tough job.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Glad to hear that your daughter is ok. Both my parents, little brother, his wife and their five kids had it. My brother spent 5 days hospitalized, when he got out my dad took his room and spent 5 days also. Directly after he was released my mom also admitted and due to her underlying conditions they didn't think she was going to make it. But thank God she beat it and all are doing fine now. It was a scary time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Wow sorry to hear your family had such a difficult experience but am glad to hear they recovered. Hearing about your family sure makes me think about how fragile life is and how quickly things can change.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
I had it and I have no underlying conditions. I had symptoms similar to fall allergies and loss of taste and smell. I worked for a week not thinking anything was wrong. On the 10th day after my symptoms were first noticed, I had chest pains and went to the ER. I ended up having a blood clot in my lung. I am on blood thinners until December and then I will be rechecked for clots. I still don't have full sense of taste, and I can't smell anything. My girlfriend and her daughter had it as well and only had low fevers, congestion and a cough. The weird thing is, my son never got it. We work together and live in the same house, we drive together to work each day.
Glad to hear you went to the ER and didn't try to "tough it out". A blood clot in the lung sounds like a serous problem. Glad to hear you and your family have all recovered.