My Franken ice axe trekking pole

ozyclint

WKR
For quite some time I have wanted an ice axe for tahr and chamois hunting but backpacking in for them dictates that only the necessities are able to be brought along. After starting with a trekking pole I then moved to the next best thing in a Black Diamond carbon whippet. This works well but I still wanted a fully functional ice axe and a pole combined in one tool.
The only combos I know of are the Petzl snowscopic and the Stubai tour lite trekking pole ice axe. Both were not what I wanted in an ice axe pole. Both are too long when collasped and not long enough at full extension and the Stubai has an alloy pick head. Recently the other option was a MTN gear MTN stick. Again, too long collapsed, too short extended and IMO, poor head geometry and ergonomics. Not to mention the hefty price tag.

So when no one makes what you want, you make it yourself and that's what I did.
I took the head off my BD whippet and set about turning it into my ideal ice axe pole combo.

I trolled the net looking for ice axe replacement heads that would suit my needs and be able to be adapted to the whippet pole. I settled on the 'Mix' replacement ice axe head by Grivel. It is a replacement for their 'north machine' technical ice axe. It looked to be what I wanted in an axe. Suitable shape for comfortable piolet style use and simple enough to make an adapter for to mount it to the pole. It also has the option for use with either a bolt on hammer or adze which gave it some versatility appeal.

IMG_8116.JPG
IMG_8125.JPG

Plan was to fabricate a stainless steel adapter that the head bolts to, with a flange either side of the head and a stem that both fits inside the original pole and has a sleeve like outsert that fits over the pole.
With available material sizes, this required the outside machining and internal boring (on the lathe at work) of 2 aluminium sleeves to get from the OD of the pole to the ID of the stainless tubing used for the adapter. The sleeve lengths were made progressively shorter to create somewhat of a taper.

IMG_8117.JPG
IMG_8118.JPG
IMG_8124.JPG

Last edited:
OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
I wanted the strongest connection possible so I made the adapter as monolithic as possible. The axe head mounting section is 5mm thick so a 5mm piece of stainless steel plate was sandwiched between two 6mm side plates. The ID of the pole is 16.2mm so these 3 pieces stacked together gave me 17mm thickness which later was machined to fit inside the pole. I machined the outer flanges that mate with the head to 3mm for weight reduction. I welded the 3 pieces together after shaping them to what was needed then machined the stem in the lathe for fitment inside the pole shaft.
With the stem inserted in the pole I then welded the final outer sleeve on to the adapter for maximum strength.

I bored a hole into the stem for further weight reduction.

IMG_8145.JPG
IMG_8142.JPG

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
After some finishing work it was ready to assemble. I epoxied the sleeves on then epoxied the head on over the lot. Then pinned it to connect all the sections. The head was modified to be more comfortable to hold in piolet style by removing the teeth on the top and underneath closest to the pole.

I now have a fully capable ice axe and pole all in one with infinite length adjustment between 68cm and 144cm.
IMG_8192.JPG
IMG_8196.JPG
IMG_8200.JPG

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
While I was at it I dealt with a couple of issues that the BD whippet has. For some reason unknown, the designers at BD made the tip section of the pole taper so much at the tip that the last flickloc wouldn't lock onto it when fully collapsed. I wrapped the end with fibreglass weave matting and epoxied it on then machined it to a suitable diameter so the flickloc holds it solid when fully collapsed.
IMG_8121.JPG

The other issue was that the sections were free to slide apart and be lost if the flickloc became snagged on bush and opened up. I once lost the 2 bottom sections in a river in NZ while adjusting the pole mid stream. They unexpectedly slid out and were gone forever. On other occasions the flickloc had been snagged open and the tip of the pole became stuck in mud and I walked off leaving the section stuck there and having to back track after realising what had happened. Same thing had happened to my mate and his whippet pole.
So I machined a bush that glues into the bottom section and into that is a threaded plug with hole to allow attachment of a string which runs the entire length of the pole and joins all 3 sections together. There is a hole bored along the axis of the adapter into which the string attaches. This is hidden when the head is bolted in place and eliminates the possibility of losing sections ever again.
IMG_8120.JPG
IMG_8203.JPG

All that remains is getting to NZ to use it. Maybe next year......

Mt Al

WKR
Very impressive fabrication skills! The string/line to not lose the bottom parts of the assembly is genius. I've never been in a situation where losing the bottom part would put me in danger, but the middle of a rough stream doesn't sound good at all.

Congratulations, awesome build!

Poser

WKR
Good job, man. While I don’t need one of these for hunting, I’ve found myself wanting one a few times when out backcountry skinning. The BD design is indeed pathetic, as are most/all of their poles.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
weight is 763 grams/ 1lb 11oz. bit heavier than I was hoping for but it's not that bad. You don't carry it on you're pack. That's only 5oz's more than the long version Mtn Stick, yet it is considerably longer when extended and it has a replaceable head and adze etc.

The whippet pole is just what I already had. It's good now with the mods. Any suggestions on what would be a good pole to base a build like this on?

Poser

WKR
weight is 763 grams/ 1lb 11oz. bit heavier than I was hoping for but it's not that bad. You don't carry it on you're pack. That's only 5oz's more than the long version Mtn Stick, yet it is considerably longer when extended and it has a replaceable head and adze etc.

The whippet pole is just what I already had. It's good now with the mods. Any suggestions on what would be a good pole to base a build like this on?

I’ve been using the Sissy Stix for the last year, both hunting and splitboarding. I love the ergonomics of the handle tops and the telescopic locks are the burliest I have seen.

cronsman

WKR
This is awesome. Ever think about prototyping and trying to reduce a bit of weight in order to sell?

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
No, I'm into making my own stuff to my exact needs.
It's quite unbelievable that none of the outdoor brands make such a thing.
Maybe there are design and safety standards that inhibit such a product? I'd place more trust in mine than some of the axes I've seen whose head appears to be attached by a pop rivet.

cronsman

WKR
I’m curious about the same thing. I’ve tried to find a good trekking pole/axe and there are very few of the market

Nice build! Looks quite a bit stronger than the standard stuff out there.
I’ve modified some ice axes and ice tools and I agree it’s always shocking how little there is holding them together.
What kind of snow conditions do you see in Tahr hunting?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That looks really good. Now you have me wanting to cut up some kit and turn it into something similar.

On a short section of trail (maybe 50 feet of exposure) I did not drop my pack to pull out an ice axe as I would no longer be wanting it in 30 seconds. I came pretty close to taking a 100 foot plus ride with my daughter on my back. Thankfully trekking poles where enough once I was on my butt, but I have been considering a whippet, though every time I handle one in a shop I don't like them.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
The whippet is a good tool for what it is designed for which is steep of trail skiing.
I wanted a full ice axe and a pole so had to make one.

ozzyshane

FNG
Clint have you looked at the ones that Pat has for sale at Boulder creek archery .Thanks Shane

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
Gday Shane, good to hear you're still around mate. No, I haven't seen it. Had a look at their website and couldn't see anything about an axe or pole. ??