My mountain rifle is getting walnut…

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
That stock is beautiful! I know you said that you were building it to hunt with, but man, I don't think I could bring myself to pack that in the woods. Are you going to checker the stock after finishing, or is the practice checkering for the next stock?

I vote 257 AI for the next build with the Mauser.

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
That stock is beautiful! I know you said that you were building it to hunt with, but man, I don't think I could bring myself to pack that in the woods. Are you going to checker the stock after finishing, or is the practice checkering for the next stock?

I vote 257 AI for the next build with the Mauser.

I don’t think I’ll be ready for a nice stock for a while yet, this practice stock is a semi inlet with a lot of wood, so the curves are quite generous. On a slim stock with tighter curves, I think that’s where the tough stuff begins. I have a couple more old stocks that I won’t use to practice on as well, one day I’ll get it :)

An AI, would complement my slim walnut stocked M96 6.5 AI…. Good thinkin!

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
7x57 or go with a lightweight 9.3x62 bear stopper for camping and hiking.

I have a few .375 bore rifles that are pretty dedicated bear guns, actually just ordered a recoil pad for a custom Mauser .458 Wm Iv had the past 20+ years, thinking I’ll try packing it this season maybe, if I can handle it. 20 or so years ago, I fired 2 rounds with its steel butt plate, it’s sat in the safe ever since lol.

IMG_6449.jpeg

gerry35

WKR
I have a few .375 bore rifles that are pretty dedicated bear guns, actually just ordered a recoil pad for a custom Mauser .458 Wm Iv had the past 20+ years, thinking I’ll try packing it this season maybe, if I can handle it. 20 or so years ago, I fired 2 rounds with its steel butt plate, it’s sat in the safe ever since lol.

View attachment 671962
Yikes a steel butt pad wouldn't be fun, a recoil pad would be a must lol. Since you also have 375's the 7x57 would be cool.

Last edited:
OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
Hey thanks 81! It’s hard to look past the soul in wood, especially above timberline where there are no shadows to shade its beauty!!

Iv rubbed in a couple more coats of 50/50 tru oil and BLO now, out in the light I can see I had some streaks, the next coat I may do outside, sun light sure makes a difference.

Everything feeds and ejects as should, the next time the temps warm up I think I’ll try to get to the range.

IMG_3383.jpegIMG_3374.jpegIMG_3373.jpegIMG_3380.jpeg

Just under 6 pounds

IMG_3395.jpeg

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
View attachment 671886

Found a 1908 Brazilian in not bad shape, a building base for the other stock blank posted above. Thinking a nice slim iron sighted 7x57 or 257 rob maybe, no needs, only wants.

What would you build?

View attachment 671888View attachment 671889

Something I never thought of, the .458 I posted on the previous page is a GWR Mauser 98 and has 2 stocks, this Brazilian action is identical and will fit like a glove with a little scraping. Being the barrel channel is quite large to accommodate the .458 size, im kinda wondering about a .416 Taylor, which is based off a .458wm case. It would complement my 375-338 (.375 Taylor)…. I think. I believe it will entail a bit more action work though to make it work.

IMG_3354.jpeg

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
I added another last coat, gave it a good buff and letter season a couple weeks. Today it warmed up enough to get to the range.

IMG_3500.jpeg

IMG_3503.jpeg

A few out today.
IMG_3554.jpeg
IMG_3553.jpeg

IMG_3560.jpeg

I knew going into this that the recoil was going to be a bit stout and the stock slippery, but slippery turned out to be quite an understatement. Checkering was kinda on the wait list until I had a chance to shoot it, which checkering is a must now that Iv shot it lol.

Now to decide if I’m confident enough to do a simple point pattern on it myself? Or send it to someone that I know will perfect It….

IMG_3564.jpeg

Macintosh

WKR
I ordered 22-24 and 26 lpi spacing cutters yesterday, I think I’ll try tackling it with 22 or 24. Iv been practicing with 20lpi, it’s been good for learning, but prefer a finer diamond I think.
👍
I like 22lpi. Fine enough to still look really refined, meaty enough to be plenty functional.

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
I’ve read through all of your stock building threads and it inspired me to do one myself. Picking up a walnut blank tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Never done something that precise but I have quite a bit of finish carpentry experience so hopefully that helps.

That’s awesome Bruce!! What kind of wood are you going with?

If interested, a couple of books that helped me alot were Alvin Lindens “Restocking a rifle” and David Wesbrooks “professional stock making”. David’s book has sone good write ups on finishing techniques from a few other stock makers, both books are full of great info.

Feel free to message if you have any questions :)

I’m also inspired! I’ll start with a cheap chunk of maple and try a Rokstok clone for one of my old Swedish Mausers.
62cddac991132555d8a1acd274a6a4bf.jpg