My revolver set up. Not ideal but…

I just couldn’t justify spending the coin on a new gun that would have so much overlap with this one. Top three considerations were…

G40 (Glock 10mm with 6 inch barrel)

G20 (4.6 inch barrel)

Smith 460vxr 6 inch

Just stuck with what I had. 44 and 7.5 barrel. It’s a bit unwieldy with that barrel but perfectly manageable with the Gunfightersinc Kenai chest rig. Shooting underwood with Leigh 220 gr extreme penetrator.

This plus binocular harness going to be a bit of a pain, but having both on chest for a drop hunt won’t be all that common of an occurrence. Without bino harness it’s not bad at all arms and it draws easily. Ditched the pretty wood grips for something a little more rough and tumble as well as grippy for wet / bloody / sweaty conditions.

All in all it’ll be better than nothing and will make me FEEL better hauling meat, cleaning, fishing, around camp.

Really like the chest harness!

Only thing I’m wondering now is if I want to try and get some type of illuminated sites on gun. Current set up worthless in dark and not worth much in low light.

F8334460-6BF5-4896-9B6F-23D26E256573.jpeg4202645E-B203-4A48-AF85-D95901C9AED2.jpeg49606EF2-D9FA-46A4-AA4E-4DF0175327F7.jpeg353847CF-9B6F-40A5-B248-F7BF391D4E78.jpeg

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Barrels a bit long for my taste but that should work just fine. I carry a S&W XDM 10mm in a shoulder holster when I don't have my rifle available, otherwise the pistol stays in camp.

OP
P
Barrels a bit long for my taste but that should work just fine. I carry a S&W XDM 10mm in a shoulder holster when I don't have my rifle available, otherwise the pistol stays in camp.
Agreed. But had to stop spending money at some point! The picture of the gun case makes barrel look even longer than it actually is. Other pics pretty accurate representation.

JColony

FNG
Shoot, throw a scope on that thing and take your moose with it! All kidding aside, as stated above, maybe not ideal, but it'll do the trick. In all reality, you'll either have time to draw or you won't, 3inches of barrel likely won't be the deciding factor.

Good luck on your hunt!!!

OP
P
Shoot, throw a scope on that thing and take your moose with it! All kidding aside, as stated above, maybe not ideal, but it'll do the trick. In all reality, you'll either have time to draw or you won't, 3inches of barrel likely won't be the deciding factor.

Good luck on your hunt!!!

Haha. I actually took the scope off for this hunt. I know you joining, but It would do the trick in a pinch, but not the best odds. I’ve got too much riding on this hunt to accept that much margin of error.

That's a beautiful 44. I say if it feels natural to you, stick with it. The added sight distance may come in real handy too as really the only way to quickly stop an aggressive bear is to hit the central nervous system.

If it is too unwieldy, the the 6" S&W X frame should be out too. The only way a 10mm beats what you've got is if that system is stupid accurate for you and you can pump several rounds in the right place for every 44 mag. Which, it is for some people.

KHNC

WKR
I just couldn’t justify spending the coin on a new gun that would have so much overlap with this one. Top three considerations were…

G40 (Glock 10mm with 6 inch barrel)

G20 (4.6 inch barrel)

Smith 460vxr 6 inch

Just stuck with what I had. 44 and 7.5 barrel. It’s a bit unwieldy with that barrel but perfectly manageable with the Gunfightersinc Kenai chest rig. Shooting underwood with Leigh 220 gr extreme penetrator.

This plus binocular harness going to be a bit of a pain, but having both on chest for a drop hunt won’t be all that common of an occurrence. Without bino harness it’s not bad at all arms and it draws easily. Ditched the pretty wood grips for something a little more rough and tumble as well as grippy for wet / bloody / sweaty conditions.

All in all it’ll be better than nothing and will make me FEEL better hauling meat, cleaning, fishing, around camp.

Really like the chest harness!

Only thing I’m wondering now is if I want to try and get some type of illuminated sites on gun. Current set up worthless in dark and not worth much in low light.

View attachment 441308View attachment 441309View attachment 441310View attachment 441311
That gunfighters inc rig is almost identical to the one i have for my G22.

280ack

FNG
How are you with getting that revolver out of the holster with hunting clothing on and can you field dress an animal with it on? The barrel length represents some challenges in getting the thing out of the holster and layers of clothing add to that.
Far too many people remove the gun/holster when dressing game and arguably, that is when you are the most vulnerable to attack. See the details of a tragic bear attack in Wyoming in 2018.
I suggest you wear it around the house, do some chores and see if it works.

Most hunters leave something that big in camp after a day due to bulk, weight, and interference with moving around. While I am not a 10mm fan, I would seriously consider the Glock M20 with a 4" bbl, for mobility, weight, and re-sale purposes if you don't want to keep it after the hunt.

TheGDog

WKR
Ooh! I know that pistol! I want to get one of those for pistol hunting! The have a detachable part that you can mount a scope or RedDot on that then mounts onto drilled and tapped holes on the top of of the pistol just in front of the rear sight. It felt much lighter than it actually is. And the SA trigger pull was a thing of beauty!

But yeah.... if the pistol is meant to be your backup protection for when you're getting bloody and processing the animal... I'd seriously want to consider getting something not as long. Something where you can whip it out crazy fast if you need to. My $.02

I guess I'd just say if you can, move the animal to someplace where you have good visibility all around you and are a decent amount away from the edge of thick stuff where something like a bear could creep around and get closer to ya before attempting to charge ya. Ya know, just to stack the odds in your favor as best as possible.

PS.. that strap by your neck is gonna bug the EFF out of ya out there. I have a Diamond D center chest that I'd gotten for my revolver, before I switched over to G29 under the bino harness. And that strap by the neck... over the course of the day... tends to bug and rub on ya. Although I have kinda thicker trapezius muscles in that area so maybe that's why?

Last edited:
OP
P
Well, that harness allows it to cinch down pretty tight. Onviously drawing with a bunch of clothing on will slow things down but that’s going to happen to the same degree with any set up. In a t shirt it was absolutely no problem. I was very surprised by how easily it came out of holster. If you notice, the length of gun covered by the molded holster is pretty short. And the cavity therein is quite large with a gaping aperture on muzzle side. This allows gun and barrel to slide out at many various angles. My theory as to why it draws so easily. Plus the harness stays put, which helps. I’ll again admit that it is less than ideal. But for for now I’m comfortable with plan and at least I know I can shoot it accurately. This was not the case with partners G20 this past Sunday.

As mentioned earlier when discussing the new grips… I absolutely intend to wear it while working on an animal. I imagine for the work I will have likely dressed down to a base layer, or maybe base layer plus rain gear.

Wearing around house a good idea. I’m pretty much out of time to shift gears at this point, so making the most of what I’ve got will likely be best option.

In terms of “leaving at camp” with any luck camp will be near (if not the actual) primary glassing spot, so the bulk weight “shouldn’t@ be too big of a deal.

There won’t be any moving of a moose if we’re able to connect with one. Hopefully (unlikely) he’ll go down in some semi open terrain.

Hate to hear that about the strap. Didn’t notice it after a few minutes, but a few minutes a lot different than a few days. It’ll be outside all clothing. I figured that plus some tension around my torso would help with that.

If the system proves to be just awful, i guess it’ll be an item worn only during high risk scenarios when rifle is absent.

Yes… this is the gun that comes with removable rail that’s screwed in to factory tapped holes. I took that off for this hunt. Gun is pretty damn accurate. With a rest and zero experience shooting any handgun at distances greater than self defense, in no time I was making lethal whitetail shots at 100 yards probably 8 / 10 shots if I took my time. Have only take one with it to date, though. About a 15 yard shot. Had a Match Ultra Dot II on it.

280ack

FNG
Sir, I would re-evaluate how you're wearing that holster. See the company's web site. The strap around your neck should be worn over your left shoulder. This helps secure the rig on the left as you are pulling with your right hand. I have a few years of wearing this exact rig.

Good luck, plan, practice, and pray it's never used!

OP
P
Sir, I would re-evaluate how you're wearing that holster. See the company's web site. The strap around your neck should be worn over your left shoulder. This helps secure the rig on the left as you are pulling with your right hand. I have a few years of wearing this exact rig.

Good luck, plan, practice, and pray it's never used!
Haha. 10-4! Will do. Had a lot going on last night when I got home.

Just checked. You sure enough right! Will mess around with it again tonight. It sure rode well and drew easily the way I had it. Hopefully I’ll like it even more set up the correct way. Thanks.

This guy wearing it wrong, too. At least I’m
Not the only one out there.

Actually, later in video he switches it, which effectively drops muzzle towards ground. I may leave it like I have it, as I suspect pulling that long barrel out across body be easier than the more upward motion.

Last edited:
OMG! Is somebody on Rokslide actually advocating NOT BUYING GEAR? WTF is wrong with you? Here we justify all gear whoring without constraint or concern. If you have a charge card...you buy it. Stop this senseless nonsense immediately...this is Rokslide damnit. Such vile notions do not belong here. Good Lord...where did I put my heart medication?

buy-buy-buy.gif

OP
P
OMG! Is somebody on Rokslide actually advocating NOT BUYING GEAR? WTF is wrong with you? Here we justify all gear whoring without constraint or concern. If you have a charge card...you buy it. Stop this senseless nonsense immediately...this is Rokslide damnit. Such vile notions do not belong here. Good Lord...where did I put my heart medication?

buy-buy-buy.gif
Trust me…. There’s been PLENTY of buying the past year or so. So far over “budget” the initial “budget” might as well have been drafted by a toddler.

I made the terrible mistake of documenting every purchase for this trip and it’s depressing. Stupid amount of money. Just plain stupid.

Trust me…. There’s been PLENTY of buying the past year or so. So far over “budget” the initial “budget” might as well have been drafted by a toddler.

I made the terrible mistake of documenting every purchase for this trip and it’s depressing. Stupid amount of money. Just plain stupid.
STOP IT! STOP IT!!
JUST STOP IT!!!
200.gif

OP
P
Fully geared up top with almost maximum bulk. Just doesn’t SEEM all that bad.

Definitely going to do the house chores routine with harness on. I prefer it around “wrong” shoulder, actually.

Not trying to be AT ALL argumentative. I’m not the guy that posts a “question” with his mind made up and then fights until end of time with folks because he heard the wrong answers.

To me this just seems to be a decent set up and didn’t have to buy a new gun. I must be missing something. maybe it’s because Ive never put together a package like this with all the best components.

Wonder how long you tube will allow this?

Had some one draws on video but can’t get them to post.

141E18B0-0075-42D4-B999-B9242D63527B.jpeg767B3459-599A-45B8-8544-49BC1C15F6FD.jpeg