Mystery ranch metcalf- loud squeaks!

Does anybody have experience with mystery ranch metcalf squeaking?

I bought the pack 2 years ago and it seems to progressively be getting louder. I hunted with it both years and the squeaking is so annoying while hiking that it's driving me nuts. I thought it was maybe a weight issue but it squeaks if I have nothing in it, 50 pounds, or even 100+ pounds.

Has anybody found a fix or do I just need to buy a different pack?
I like the layout. It's decently comfortable once adjusted, hauls a load OK but the dang squeak is killing me

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
have no experience with that pack but could just need cleaned. Focus on the where the frame meets the pack, or where ever you hear the squeaking from. Cold water, light detergent, and a brush

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'd call MR and see what they say - the squeeking is a know issue to they'll be able to key you in on some areas to focus I am guessing.

OP
E
I'd call MR and see what they say - the squeeking is a know issue to they'll be able to key you in on some areas to focus I am guessing.
I have heard mixed things on their customer service. Do you have any personal experience with them?

OP
E
have no experience with that pack but could just need cleaned. Focus on the where the frame meets the pack, or where ever you hear the squeaking from. Cold water, light detergent, and a brush
I washed it thinking that would help and it still squeaks. It's loud enough I can't imagine drawing my bow in range of an elk

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Mine did the same but only when it was really loaded heavy. Now it doesn’t seem to squeak anymore so it’s probably just a break in issue. (Unfortunately It took a couple years for that squeak to go away)

OP
E
Mine did the same but only when it was really loaded heavy. Now it doesn’t seem to squeak anymore so it’s probably just a break in issue. (Unfortunately It took a couple years for that squeak to go away)
Had it for 2 years with multiple pack ours and it squeaks the same is it did the first day for me. I'm super bummed about it because I actually like the pack a ton for the layout

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yes - when it is something with the pack iteself that is faulty, they will certainly take care of you. What you are describing is a known problem so they should know exactly what to do. It helps that you've eliminated it being dirty by washing it already.

11boo

WKR
I just called EXO today about a similar creak. Definitely in the frame and nylon interface per them. I cleaned it up and will test later.

update, it worked. EXO has a different frame interface tho.

Last edited:

Rook7

FNG
I’m looking for an update on this thread. Anyone have a confirmed fix for this issue? My Metcalf pack is squeaking too and it’s driving me crazy. Thanks in advance!

I've had my Beartooth a little over 4 years originally it was the buckles that squeaked, a little bow wax solved that issue. Now its the frame that is squeaking, if you remove the pack from the frame and flex it side to side it makes a really loud rubbing/squeaking noise. In my opinion what happens over time is that the material around the stays either shrinks or starts to dry out. And the issue really cant be fixed because the stays are sewn into the frame. The frame either needs to be redesigned or MR needs to create some sort of lubricant to rehydrate the material/frame stays.

How did I come to this conclusion? Separate your frame from your bag, put your frame in a tub or any container where it can be fully submerged. Submerge it under water for 5-10 minutes take it out and flex the frame from side to side. The squeak should be gone.

3Esski

FNG
hockey tape over buckles and cams usually helps. friction somewhere. hopefully they have a resolution for you.

R_A_W

FNG
The only Mystery Ranch I have squeaks.

I've never emailed Mystery Ranch regarding this issue, but have on two other issues. They're pretty responsive, but ultimately unhelpful.

Pdzoller

WKR
Had the same issue. Washed it in a little swimming pool with baking soda and dawn and the problem went away. Not sure if it was the washing or the bear fat that I was trying to get rid of that actually fixed it.

maxriver

FNG
Mine squeaked bad the first few miles with it. It stopped squeaking with time, maybe it needs time to break in?

rahby1us

FNG
I've got some squeaks as well. Seems to be less noisy at 60 lbs + compared to when i've done backpacking @35 lbs. Guess I'll be calling MR next week. More worried about my sanity than an animal hearing it!

Idahank

FNG
I have squeaks in my frame as well, with my Sawtooth or Beartooth bag on it.

Here’s what MR told me:

OP
E
Just an update- I sent the pack in for work. Mystery ranch was actually super helpful and warranted whatever work they did on it. I got the pack back after I was home from elk hunting so it was too late to take out west. I ended up buying a used SG solo and used that this season. No squeaks on that pack yet so between the two I'm hopeful that I'm able to keep a quiet pack

I hate squeaks. Hate hate hate. LOATHE ENTIRELY.