Native New Mexican FNG

Moehunt

FNG
Anything outdoors has defined my life passions. Grew up hunting fishing and trapping in Northern NM Chama Valley. Chose my career for the last 30 years in the US Forest Service so I could be close to hunting and fishing. Love to help others so long as you’re not pumping for honey holes. I’ve been stalking this site and appreciate the contributions so I decided I need to contribute.

I may have drawn a 2nd archery tag in North NM this year. Been two other times, including last year. Love that part of the state.

Im new to big game hunting I usually just coyot or duck hunt. I drew 16 e cow elk hunt this year, I am going to do a bunch of scouting trips this summer. Just wondering if anyone could just give me a heads up on the unit. I have heard a lot of people say it has a lot of private land on it but when I look on onx I dont really see that much until I get close to highway 60. Like I said just trying to get a lay of the land not looking for your hunting spot

Welcome, I am in Abiquiu, let me know if I can be of any assistance.
I drew 5b 1st archery elk along with my uncle from Los Ojos and cousin from Santa Fe. Can’t wait to get back in there. It’s been about 5 years and only ended up tagging a dead head.

Im new to big game hunting I usually just coyot or duck hunt. I drew 16 e cow elk hunt this year, I am going to do a bunch of scouting trips this summer. Just wondering if anyone could just give me a heads up on the unit. I have heard a lot of people say it has a lot of private land on it but when I look on onx I dont really see that much until I get close to highway 60. Like I said just trying to get a lay of the land not looking for your hunting spot
I hunted that unit last year mostly on and around the BLM continental divide wilderness study area. Vehicle Access is limited and popular. If I had to do it over again I would have packed in. I glassed the grasslands on the southern flank of the unit and stuck to it too long but managed to find and shoot a spike. The sign was there but they had moved with all the pressure around Access points and I didn’t adapt.

Hi Hank, I sure like that country. Only hunted 16e on the North side for Antelope and South side for elk, but it sure has peaked my curiosity about units out that way.

Hi Hank, I sure like that country. Only hunted 16e on the North side for Antelope and South side for elk, but it sure has peaked my curiosity about units out that way.
Yeah pretty much heaven in my book. Tags have gotten hard to come by,but that goes for everywhere.

Back