Need a new truck- no clue what direction

Yoder

WKR
It will be a cold day in hell before I pay $50k for a vehicle of any kind. They aren't worth that much. Think about how much money that is. My house only cost $150k. My next 4x4 will be an suv with around 100k miles. I won't pay more than $15k and if I have to fix it, whatever. If I need a truck, I have a utility trailer.

TSAMP

WKR
When i bought a new f150 about a month ago there was an option for an unlimited bumper to bumper warranty as long as I owned the vehicle. No mileage or timeline caps. In 20 years it would still have a bumper to bumper. Was about $3k. If at any time you sold the truck prior to 15 years they'd refund you the pro-rated value of the warranty costs. So if you sold the truck @ 5 years, they send you a check for 2/3s of the warranty cost ($2k).

Maybe i missed a catch but seemed like a fair deal for someone who intended to keep a vehicle for a long time.
I'd jump all over that. I got 75 cent oil changes for life with my 2014. Man I bet they regret that. I'm still showing up with 160k miles and 3 quarters.

As far as X plan pricing, I have found it depends on the model of the vehicle and the dealer. I have employee discounts for the big 3 and found instances where chevy dealers wouldn't honor it due to supply issues. We test drove one literally as it got pulled off the semi and when I asked for a price with my discount the dude laughed and say we won't discount this it will be gone tomorrow either way. I respected the honestly and we parted ways.

Although it didn't take much phone work to find a dealer that would honor it.

There's always a discount, I ended up getting 1k off for Costco memberships and another 1k for first responder. Plus the x plan. This was a few months ago.

Always ask, and If they say there aren't any. Call a different dealership and ask again.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Have you looked at the Ram Powerwagon? You can still get a manual shift transfer case and a 6’4” bed. Plus you’ll have lockers and a winch as a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am under the impression that ram stopped selling manual transmissions in the US in 2018. So, a used one could be found, but for new trucks only the Tacoma and the Gladiator can be gotten with a manual in the US.

You got me excited for a minute as I wish that were not the case.

I am under the impression that ram stopped selling manual transmissions in the US in 2018. So, a used one could be found, but for new trucks only the Tacoma and the Gladiator can be gotten with a manual in the US.

You got me excited for a minute as I wish that were not the case.

The transfer case is a manual lever to put in 4wd, not the transmission. Auto trans is only option now and I think that is a dial on the dash now. Sorry to get you excited!

This guy lives up to his screen name. I like it.

I think I’ll wait till next year to buy personally, but I might regret it with inflation.

I can never think of a good screen name so I went with what I know!

Tmac

WKR
In a similar spot, this is what I did.

I detest buying new and expensive rigs as well. That said I decided to take the plunge two years ago. I wanted something I could drive for 10-15 years and hunt/fish out of. I needed moderate towing for a 4k lb boat, ability to take 4 adults and room in the bed for an atv. I prize reliability above all else, especially when I take a couple grand kids out hunting in remote SE OR.

So I bought a two year old Toyota Certified Tundra CrewMax in 2021, made the dealer add the 100k extended warrantee. It’s been flawless. I added some mods to make it better off-road and have not looked back. Only small complaint is the gas mileage is OK not great, so I made sure to get the 38 gallon tank. I can sell it today for what I paid for it, if not a little more. 39k.

If I needed a 6 1/2’ bed, I’d have got the Tundra Double Cab for the larger bed. Just makes for less space for the rear cab passengers. When the grands fledge, I may go for the longer bed, smaller cab.

All brands have issues, but these last generation Tundra’s are as reliable as they come. New gen has had issues. I would have preferred a 2016-2018 to get the better tranny cooler with the 38 gallon tank, but could not pass this one up.

OP
J
In a similar spot, this is what I did.

I detest buying new and expensive rigs as well. That said I decided to take the plunge two years ago. I wanted something I could drive for 10-15 years and hunt/fish out of. I needed moderate towing for a 4k lb boat, ability to take 4 adults and room in the bed for an atv. I prize reliability above all else, especially when I take a couple grand kids out hunting in remote SE OR.

So I bought a two year old Toyota Certified Tundra CrewMax in 2021, made the dealer add the 100k extended warrantee. It’s been flawless. I added some mods to make it better off-road and have not looked back. Only small complaint is the gas mileage is OK not great, so I made sure to get the 38 gallon tank. I can sell it today for what I paid for it, if not a little more. 39k.

If I needed a 6 1/2’ bed, I’d have got the Tundra Double Cab for the larger bed. Just makes for less space for the rear cab passengers. When the grands fledge, I may go for the longer bed, smaller cab.

All brands have issues, but these last generation Tundra’s are as reliable as they come. New gen has had issues. I would have preferred a 2016-2018 to get the better tranny cooler with the 38 gallon tank, but could not pass this one up.
What is Real World mpg? Out of all the half tons...the Tundra gives me the warmest Fuzzy. But EVERYONE says mpg is terrible. But I am not really sure what Terrible is.....13/15 town/hwy?

Beendare

WKR
I’ve had every brand- diesel and gas…all Ive ever driven was a truck. All pretty good with Toyotas being a little bit more bullet proof.

If you are looking for a half ton, Don’t drive the Ram Limited with air suspension….

Everyone that has driven my truck has went and bought one….one buddy traded his Raptor for one….

I’m not a lot of help. I prefer older vehicle and pay cash for them. I drive a 2003 Lexus LX470 and it will be on the road longer than one rolling off the lot today if I continue to take good care of it.

Grumman

WKR
Haven’t read every post so apologize if it’s a duplicate. If your frugal look at the custom or base models. I have a 2500HD Silverado Custom model with gas engine. It’s possible to add $30,000 in options over what I paid for mine new. That is ludicrous to me.

If you don't need a lot of frills, a Ram Tradesman 1500 is likely to be the best value. They are quiet and have a more compliant ride than the competition. The 6 Cylinder cranks out over 300 HP and will get 17-19 MPG in mostly town driving and 22-26 on the open road. The Hemi returns slightly less.

For the cost of a new truck you can make your old one into a beast. 80k buys a hell of a lot of parts.

A new truck with electronic everything will be a nightmare in 15 years. Revive the old (un?)reliable!
This. I just spent $6500 last summer redoing my 2011 f150 STX. Rubber floor mats. Super power. It had a tube when I bought it at 50,000 miles and it’s over 200,000 now. I didn’t do the motor. It still runs too strong. So, I added a better tuner and sone different tunes. This truck was a really nice truck. Now, it’s a one of a kind hunting and fishing rig that’ll do 0-60 in u dee 5 seconds. And pull anything I need.

I bought a 2006 250 powerstroke and put $5600 in it before I drove it a 1000 miles. Sent it to Elon NC to have the thing bulletproofed and sone light mods to increase power. Mostly air induction and valve work. It’ll pull a house and in a hurry.

I’m as frugal as you and others are. Including the OP. And, I’m not at all optimistic that pricing for trucks is going to go down. They don’t have to. So, they won’t. So, I’d drop sone coin on making what I had, what I wanted. And drive it through the sunsets of retirement. And use the monthly payments I saved to go off shore fishing more and hunting all over the country the rest of the time.

The transfer case is a manual lever to put in 4wd, not the transmission. Auto trans is only option now and I think that is a dial on the dash now. Sorry to get you excited!

In the 2500’s its still on the tree. Their 4wd actuator is in a ridiculous spot tho. Right on the bottom of the front axel in a plastic housing where is can get hit by sticks and rocks. My buddy’s 2018 went down on a bear hunt a couple years ago. Had to open it up and manually engage and disengage. Was wishing for a manual transfer case. I have a 2020 2500 and wish I could have gotten all the fancy options I have with the manual transfer case. Their engineers are idiots.

Tmac

WKR
What is Real World mpg? Out of all the half tons...the Tundra gives me the warmest Fuzzy. But EVERYONE says mpg is terrible. But I am not really sure what Terrible is.....13/15 town/hwy?
It’s a very heavy pig. One is penalized on every acceleration, regardless of speed or how softly you press the skinny pedal, acceleration eats mpg badly in the Tundra.

So deep downtown stop & go lots of traffic, go, speed up slow down ,stop, repeat, … 8-10. Regular stop and go not in heavy traffic 10-13, steady 58-62mph on cruise 18-19, steady 68-71 on cruise 16-18. Add a head wind on the fwy and take off 1-2mpg. This is with LT275/70r18’s. Heavier and taller than stock and a hard tonneau cover.

Pure stock with the 275/65r18’s, no tonneau and not all the skids/sliders I added. I got 17.7mpg Portland to LaGrande, OR, a freeway trip almost all up hill with one pass. Cruise set at 71 that trip. Then added tires and lost 2mpg, added tonneau and gained 1-1.5mpg. Now with all the extra weight from armor and larger LT tires and tonneau, my average tank is 50/50 city/hwy and 15mpg +/-. All freeway, 17 ish+.

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a 17 Tundra last year. Stock I was getting 17-18 mpg average. Really not bad. I stayed away from them because all the bad mileage talk. Got A GMC and regretted that decision. After getting one I couldn't be happier. I had a Tacoma before the gmc and it only got around 15 mpg. I have 37s on my tundra now and I get 13 mpg on the highway. 12 around town.

What is Real World mpg? Out of all the half tons...the Tundra gives me the warmest Fuzzy. But EVERYONE says mpg is terrible. But I am not really sure what Terrible is.....13/15 town/hwyhwy
I get a little better than 13/15 out my 7.3 F250 empty...and it has 4.30 gears, 35" tires, and 2" lift...I looked at Tundras before I got my 250...The mpg vs payload/towing and the 90s era interior was a hard stop for me. I gave up on Tundras when they went to the turbo V6 and got the 7.3 F250. There is no replacement for displacement.