Need Alaskan fishing lodge recommendations

SDHNTR

WKR
Got a buddy who wants to take his Father in Law and Brother in Law to AK fishing. They are total greenhorns. They will need a full survice lodge with all gear, lodging and guiding. My only experience was with a semi-guided type place and they need more than that. They want to go the latter half of August so Silvers will likely be the best bet. They would want a nice place, but it doesn't have to be really posh. Can anybody suggest some options please? Websites?

Brado16

WKR
I would recommend Captain Steve's- we had a group of 23 of us fish their last July. We spent 4 days fishing in total- 2 days at Sea for Halibut and Lingcod and 2 days fishing Silvers in the Kenai River. The Lodge, staff, food, boats were all top notch- the ocean fishing was amazing and the fishing for Salmon on the Kenai was fun but very crowded. Each of us brought home over 50# of Flash froze fillets. I would take a good look at this place. Here is the link: http://captainstevesfishinglodge.com/index.html

Island View Resort and Charters out of Sitka. Family run and the best skippers and boats on the Island. I've never brought home less than two 50lb boxes of salmon and cod. Check out their website. I can't recommend them enough. My first trip with them was over twenty years ago and I'm looking forward to my next trip. Right now is prime time for kings. Coho in July/Augest.

I joke my only real responsibility for the three days is to get dressed and out to the boat on time. They take care of everything else :).

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Great thanks. I'd like to give them a recommendation for a place in "civiliation" like the Kenai, and also a more remote, fly in destination too.

The better "civilization" silver fishing in south central would be either Valdez or Seward (ocean fishing). For a little more remote I would suggest the Ayokulik river on Kodiak (largest silvers in the world) or the Nushagak or Naknek rivers in western Alaska or the Situk down in Yakutat which all have very good runs. As far as outfitters I can't suggest anyone because I've never been guided/outfitted or stayed at any lodges. I know there's some good silver fishing in SE Alaska also but the only experience I have only goes as far as the Situk. I would suggest picking the places that you want to go (rivers etc.) then check out outfitters/lodges for those places on the internet and look at ratings/reviews.

Great thanks. I'd like to give them a recommendation for a place in "civiliation" like the Kenai, and also a more remote, fly in destination too.

Ahoy-Try Bob Ball at http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/. I've never fished with him in Ak but have a few times in Wa and have shared the river with him several times. He's one of the best guides I've ever met and had the pleasure to fish with. He's also been guiding up there a very long time now.

Good Luck.

Hardway

FNG
Tracy Vhrem @ blue mountain lodge all fly in fishing never saw another person I 5 days of fishing.

wyosteve

WKR
12 of us went last July with Crooked Creek RV out of Kasilof. Had a great time and very reasonable, i.e. 7 days lodging, meals, 2 Kasilof river trips for sockeye and 2 days ocean for halibut ran just under $1600 per person. I preferred fishing the Kasilof as it was not crowded at all compared to the Kenai.

WRO

WKR
Togiak river lodge, a friend of mine owns it, and by all reports is excellent.. 100 fish days in late august are not impossible.

4ester

WKR
We went with Doc Warners out of Juneau on a semi guided trip last year and had a blast. They teach you the basics before they send you out in your own boat. I'm running low of salmon and halibut again so maybe its time to schedule another trip.....

JPD350

WKR
I am headed back to Doc Warners at the end of July, it will be my 3rd time. I can't say enough good things about having your own boat, it is truly an experience that just about anyone can do, Doc's staff will take care of everything, all you have to do is jump in the ready to go boat and fish for 5 solid days.