Need help on picking a tent. Apples or Oranges? Tarptent vs Seek Outside

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I know there are a million "pick a tent" threads or "what is better". This will be a bit different.

short version.... is the stove/stove jack worth it and when?

Contestants:
Seek Outside Gurdian 2p XL with stovejack and nest https://seekoutside.com/guardian-2p-xl/

VS

Tarptent Stratospire Ultra https://www.tarptent.com/product/stratospire-ultra/#tab-id-2

The Guardian can be just the rainfly or add the nest. Camping with kids (3yo and 3mo) would be needed in TX (scorpions/snakes). I love the idea of the stove jack but not sure when I would use it. (I have only hunted early elk and weather isn't bad...) but next year want to go at the end of Sept/ early October.

The Stratospire Ultra does everything the Guradian can do but no stove jack. Looks like it can still handle weather and is a little over a pound lighter (with nest in each). I can still run the rainfly without the nest and go Uber light but no option for a future stove.

In short, how do I justify the additional weight and cost of the Guardian? Budget allows for 1 tent at the moment and not 2. I could get a new Stratospire Ultra or a used Guradian with nest.

Any thoughts / experience would be great having never used a hot tent before.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
With kids that young - I personally wouldn’t want to run a stove in the tent (I kind of assume that the kids will be with you in TX and not out hunting).

Most times the stove is a luxury but - depending on weather & duration - a stove can be a life-saver.

With a tent that size - if you add a stove - you are cutting down on useable space of the tent. And when using the stove - you need to keep a clear path around stove because if anything touches it, it will scorch quick (ask me how I know and that happened in 6 person tipi)

It sounds like you don’t need a stove this year - then get the tent you want now - and readdress in future if you want to upgrade size of tent and/or add stove.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
With kids that young - I personally wouldn’t want to run a stove in the tent (I kind of assume that the kids will be with you in TX and not out hunting).

Most times the stove is a luxury but - depending on weather & duration - a stove can be a life-saver.

With a tent that size - if you add a stove - you are cutting down on useable space of the tent. And when using the stove - you need to keep a clear path around stove because if anything touches it, it will scorch quick (ask me how I know and that happened in 6 person tipi)

It sounds like you don’t need a stove this year - then get the tent you want now - and readdress in future if you want to upgrade size of tent and/or add stove.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are right. Kids would camp with me in TX. (Along with the wife but kids are currently able to fit in any nook/crany).

Stove would be fore elk season without wife/kids. It would be for just me and to dry things out if wet. Was not sure if the stove is that helpful as I have historically not hunted in "cold/nasty" weather and just dried off in the sleeping bag...

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would go stove and at a minimum the cimarron. Kids will get bigger and that will work for a few years. The stove saved me on an early October hunt that turned freezing and tons of snow. Won't go without again.

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I would go stove and at a minimum the cimarron. Kids will get bigger and that will work for a few years. The stove saved me on an early October hunt that turned freezing and tons of snow. Won't go without again.
All good points. I could run the Cimarron with nest in TX. The ditch the nest and add the stove for a 2 man and stove in CO.

Whth that being said, I like the Argali Stove over the seek outside stove.

Does anyone have experience with the Argali Absaroka 4P Tent? It is made of 20D vs 30D. (Not as strong) but total weight is about 9oz lighter and thier nest is 13oz lighter. The Argali is also a shade bit "larger" (2" height, 16" length, 12" width) this could be a pro with kids and a con finding space in the mountains.

How heavy and strong is too heavy and strong and how light is too light?

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
All good points. I could run the Cimarron with nest in TX. The ditch the nest and add the stove for a 2 man and stove in CO.

Whth that being said, I like the Argali Stove over the seek outside stove.

Does anyone have experience with the Argali Absaroka 4P Tent? It is made of 20D vs 30D. (Not as strong) but total weight is about 9oz lighter and thier nest is 13oz lighter. The Argali is also a shade bit "larger" (2" height, 16" length, 12" width) this could be a pro with kids and a con finding space in the mountains.

How heavy and strong is too heavy and strong and how light is too light?
I can definitely understand space with kids. I can't speak to the argali but I do know the cimarron can handle 4ft of snow like a champ. For TX I don't think either would have a problem. If I did it again I would probably take the weight penalty and take the next size up. Cimarron barely handles 2 guys, gear, and stove. 3 adults without stove. It is tight though. When on a mountain for 10 days plus I won't risk toughness.

PlanoDano

FNG
No here on the stove but I am old and sleep as much as I can. I do not want to wake up and tend a stove. No to cots also - they make you cold. Use the extra weight on top notch equipment laying on well insulated pad laying on closed cell foam pad laying on the ground.