Seek Outside - Silex vs. Guardian

ilash83

FNG
Hi All - I am new to rokslide. Heading to Montana this Fall for an Elk Hunt in November. Will be utilizing a hot stove and wondering if anyone has any input on the Silex vs Guardian? In particular, I am 6'5 225 and am worried the silex may be tight with gear, etc. However, I am also trying to stay as light as possible. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the guardian with the standard stove and did the burn in on the stove last weekend. Set it up in the yard. I’m 6’ 230 and it had plenty of room with me, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I’ve heard from others that the silex can get a little cramped. Heading out for my first overnight on Thursday to get acclimated to what I expect the Montana weather to be on my deer hunt this fall.

OP
I

ilash83

FNG
I just picked up the guardian with the standard stove and did the burn in on the stove last weekend. Set it up in the yard. I’m 6’ 230 and it had plenty of room with me, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I’ve heard from others that the silex can get a little cramped. Heading out for my first overnight on Thursday to get acclimated to what I expect the Montana weather to be on my deer hunt this fall.
Appreciate the feedback!

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a silex and wouldn’t personally consider it big enough for a full size human and a stove, let alone all that and November gear. My vote would be something bigger.

mlob1one

WKR
I've owned a seek outside for about 8 years (LBO w/ tarp & vestibule). I can honestly tell you that there isn't a situation in my mind where I'd regret the additional 12oz in my back for that much more space. There have been several times when running a smaller shelter has been regretful. I like a bit of space, and if the weather turns for a couple of days, being able to lay out or hang up gear to dry, have extra room for wood, etc, has done wonders for my psyche. If you gotta shave 12oz, get lighter tent stakes, or something else, imho.
I'm 6' & 220#. When I need to cut weight, I start with my gut. If I get another seek outside, I'll likely go with the Cimarron or maybe their new Twilight without the floor for solo trips.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
I

ilash83

FNG
I have a silex and wouldn’t personally consider it big enough for a full size human and a stove, let alone all that and November gear. My vote would be something bigger.
I am leaning toward the Guardian at this point. I see they just came out with a floor liner too for condensation, etc.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
This. 6'3" 220. I have a Silex and a Cimarron. The former comes with me when I don't need a stove, the latter when I do.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own both and would recommend the Guardian. I’m not nearly as big and fit in both just fine but the Silex would be a bit cramped for you. Especially with a stove in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
The Guardian is the way to go here. You gain 12 oz. but when you can still get in a hot tent for under 5 lbs. The guardian is also going to shed snow and wind better due to the cuts and angles on it.

Luked

WKR
I 100% agree.
I had a Silex and really liked it untill I took it to the mountains.
I could not fit in it with the way it is designed with the poles and not get my sleeping bag against the sides.
The 2nd night in it it had so much condensation inside that I woke up in the middle of the night with the toebox of my sleeping bag soaked through and had my feet cold just from the bag touching the side of the tent.
I would go bigger.

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
We also just came out with a floor liner system for the Guardian that allows use with a stove while also protecting against condensation.

Geewhiz

WKR
I 100% agree.
I had a Silex and really liked it untill I took it to the mountains.
I could not fit in it with the way it is designed with the poles and not get my sleeping bag against the sides.
The 2nd night in it it had so much condensation inside that I woke up in the middle of the night with the toebox of my sleeping bag soaked through and had my feet cold just from the bag touching the side of the tent.
I would go bigger.
Maybe I should be more clear. Haha

I do like my silex alot but I tend to use it more as a 3 season scouting type shelter. I have had it in some pretty stiff winds and precip and its held up great. Its about as light as I can come up with for what it is. Plenty of room for 1 guy and enough for 2 as long as you both don't have a ton of gear you want to keep inside of it. I say 3 season scouting shelter because I cant really see room for a guy with late season gear and a stove and firewood and/or a weapon. I haven't had issues with condensation like you mention. I feel that it is a great shelter for what it is, but for the sake of the OP's inquiry, I would go bigger for a late season hunt with a stove and more gear.