Need help picking out boot

Hey guys I am long over due for some new boots and im having a hard time deciding on what boot to get. I am on a budget right now so im trying to keep things around $200. I am looking for a boot with good ankle support and water proof. I hunt in western Washington so I need a boot to withstand the constant wet conditions. I tried rubber boots a few times this year but we hike to much and I end up with blisters. I would prefer non insulated because these boots will also be used for upland bird hunting as well. I have looked at Irish setter elk trackers and really like how the fit and feel I just don't like that they are insulated as my feet run extremely hot. I have read reviews on the vaprtreks and some say they are amazing and others say they are falling apart after minimal uses. I have looked at danner pronghorns and they seem nice and fit well but my experiences with danner work boots in the past haven't been great.

What is everyone's opinion?

Under $200 get the Salomon GTX 4D. I've tried a pair of these on. They were really nice, but I ended up going with a Lowa boot. I researched a lot of sites and read a lot of reviews. The Salomon is definitely a popular boot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience in your neck of the woods, so I can't really give you any sound advice on boot selection. One thing that I can say for sure to help you save some money is to check out Amazon (even better if you have Amazon Prime) I got my Lowa Tibets on Amazon for $200 with free shipping. REI wanted $280 for them. The other awesome thing about amazon is Thier return policy. I bought 2 pairs in different sizes and just returned the ones that didn't fit. It was an extremely smooth and hassle free return process. I love my Lowas and how they fit, but they aren't as waterproof as I would've liked.

GKPrice

Banned
Here's my $0.02 worth - I've been in your budget constraint position for much of my life - I suffered through uncomfortable and leaky boots for many years and when I bought my first pair of Lowa Tibets my approach completely changed because I instantly had warm, dry feet that didn't feel like I'd just had foot surgery every night - Tibets are within $100 of your striking range and my advice is to first find a boot shop who has at least one employee that KNOWS how to fit boots AND has a decent customer service attitude, then learn your product for yourself so you understand what you're hearing or reading - there are different Tibet models with specific limitations and virtues - Next, find a way to be able to buy $300 (or a bit less if you shop them) boots - Your feet will have the final word on the matter

OP
N
Thank you for the input. I'll look at the Lowa Tibets and see where I can try them on local.

I have a pair of Solomon ultra mids and GTX 4D and both of them leak with just the thought of rain. I ran them with gaiters and still had water sloshing around in my boot. Both pairs of boots were new last year and the ultra mids are already starting to come apart at they toe. I may have gotten a bad batch of boots but I'm pretty unimpressed with Solomon.

kicker338

WKR
You might take a look at zamberland's you can try them at REI stores, fery happy with mine. We've had a lot of rain here in Nth. Id. threw this yr's. hunting season's and my zamberland's have held up great no leaks at all. One more suggestion is to stay away from gortex and
insulated boots. When those leak they hold the water and dry real slow. Leather on the other hand when wet will dry quicker. Use a good liner and outer sock, they will keep your feet just as warm as insulation, been there done that.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys I am long over due for some new boots and im having a hard time deciding on what boot to get. I am on a budget right now so im trying to keep things around $200. I am looking for a boot with good ankle support and water proof. I hunt in western Washington so I need a boot to withstand the constant wet conditions. I tried rubber boots a few times this year but we hike to much and I end up with blisters. I would prefer non insulated because these boots will also be used for upland bird hunting as well. I have looked at Irish setter elk trackers and really like how the fit and feel I just don't like that they are insulated as my feet run extremely hot. I have read reviews on the vaprtreks and some say they are amazing and others say they are falling apart after minimal uses. I have looked at danner pronghorns and they seem nice and fit well but my experiences with danner work boots in the past haven't been great.

What is everyone's opinion?

Check out our Beartooth uninsulated boots. Available in a "Mid" and "tall height" If you have any questions or need help, feel free to pm me.

thanks
matt

Schnee's Performance Boots

OP
N
I'll take a look at the Beartooths.

I was doing some more reeding on approach/ mountaineering style boots and came across Salewa boots. I did some searching on here and have found a limited amount of info from people with experience with them. I found a pair of mountain trainer mid gtx for $160 shipped. Does anyone have any recent experience with these boots? Most of the reviews I have found were a few years old

texag10

WKR
If you're constantly going to be in wet weather, I'd avoid a synthetic boot in favor of leather. Every "waterproof" synthetic boot I've had....wasn't.

I was super happy with my asolo fugitives, which you could find in your price range.

Sboada

FNG
Big Schnees fan here. Have hunted elk in the Cascades and birds in the flats with my Beartooths and they have been awesome. Have owned lots of boots (Asolo, Scarpa, Kennetrek, etc). Beartooths are my go to for just about everything. Waterproof, supportive and very comfortable for me.

Hard to beat danner for price and value in my opinion. Especially if you don't mind military colors, particularly sand / tan which is being phased out of army foot gear in favor of darker brown. They have had some QC issues but the Acadias were my go to in .mil and for years after. I have put literally hundreds of miles in them in 20 years and several pairs without a problem. A bit old school but I love them. They also make a boot called the ICH which can be had on eBay for under $100. They are similar to the combat hiker model. Both are now on the outs of .mil procurement programs and A lot of boot for the money.

A bit more spendy but I have been running a pair of crispi idahoes. Super comfy boots out of the box and one of the best feeling boots I have owned. I am only 50 miles or so into them so still testing but I think they may have supplanted my old acadias as my favorite.

Thank you for the input. I'll look at the Lowa Tibets and see where I can try them on local.

I have a pair of Solomon ultra mids and GTX 4D and both of them leak with just the thought of rain. I ran them with gaiters and still had water sloshing around in my boot. Both pairs of boots were new last year and the ultra mids are already starting to come apart at they toe. I may have gotten a bad batch of boots but I'm pretty unimpressed with Solomon.
I went through 2 pairs of solomon 4d boots in 16 months, both leaked, returned both with great customer service. Replacement first pair and a refund on the second. I'm looking at lowa tibets, scarpa kinesis and meindl island pros. If there is 2 pieces of gear i wouldn't skimp on it would be sleeping bag, and boots.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tater

WKR
I was doing some more reeding on approach/ mountaineering style boots and came across Salewa boots. I did some searching on here and have found a limited amount of info from people with experience with them. I found a pair of mountain trainer mid gtx for $160 shipped. Does anyone have any recent experience with these boots? Most of the reviews I have found were a few years old

My experience with the Salewas has been with the Raven Combi GTX. I have had them for over two full years now (and a lot of miles). Incredibly light for a full shank mountaineering style (semi auto crampon compatible) boot. Great support and fit (if you have a narrow heel/average fore foot; think Asolo type of fit). Not waterproof, but a couple of passes with some Scotchguard spray for patio furniture makes them as close to waterproof as you can expect from a fabric boot.

I use them as a 3 1/2 season boot (great for snowshoeing down to minus 5 Celcius), and they are a beautifully made boot. My next pair of boots will be Salewa again (after everything from Asolos to Zamberlans and everything in between).

Muttly

WKR
I,m in SE Alaska, went from Lowa this spring to Scarpa Grand Dru. Have had them out for three days at a time, had em in some pretty good down pours on occasion, feet haven't gotten wet yet.
Mostly pretty comfortable, but I do like Frankenstein boots...
See em on sale occasionally, over your stated budget, but I would echo trying on boots till you find a pair that fit well, whatever brand. Saving up till you can a pair you want will be cheaper in the long run than buying stuff you already know ain't gonna last over and over.

OP
N
Thanks for all the input. I decided that I'm going to deal with wet feet for our late season hunt and save up and get a pair of boots that fit good and will last a long time. Sounds like any of the higher end boots are all great and its just a matter of finding one that fits my foot the best.

I've used Salewa approach shoes and found them to be sturdy and well made. My feet didnt get wet in them when hiking to various climbs through tall, dew soaked grass...but they were low tops so not the best indication as moisture could get in from the top.

Asolo Fugitives are also really solid. I've beaten the tar out of 3 pairs over the last 11 years. Everything from hiking mountains year round, snowshoeing, Iraq, field work, etc. They wont be waterproof forever, but they are very supportive and sturdy, around $200 and lightweight.

I think you're final thought of saving a bit longer, and finding something that fits great and meets your criteria is the best thing to do. Good luck!

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Big Schnees fan here. Have hunted elk in the Cascades and birds in the flats with my Beartooths and they have been awesome. Have owned lots of boots (Asolo, Scarpa, Kennetrek, etc). Beartooths are my go to for just about everything. Waterproof, supportive and very comfortable for me.

Thank you for your business and the kind words! I hope you get many successful seasons out of your Beartooths!