Need powerful electric chainsaw

slimbw3

FNG
I used and abused a EGO for years. It was my primary chainsaw and it would easily fit your needs. I had a 18 inch bar but they do make a smaller bar.

Love my makita with a 16” bar. It does everything I ask for a truck saw, which is just sawing up the trees in my way on roads.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Top handle saws are extremely unbalanced for any "real" cutting. They're lightweight limbing saws for tree climbers to use in close quarters. Easy to slip and get a hand in the chain, or nick your arms/legs. I keep my GW in my truck box, have another one in the SxS - all rear handle.

Interesting. Thanks.

Weldor

WKR
Greenworks are good, I have the 18" and the 16". Have not had any issues. Like everybody said: sharp blade. Bought both at Tractor supply during a sale, right at $500 for both with chargers and batteries.

I carry a dwalt 12 on my horse and agree with you. In lodgepole they do well but if you encounter 12-18" fir it takes a while. Two batteries at a minimum. I prefer to cut out trails with a stihl 170 gas. If things are serious I go to my stihl 311 or 038.

There is nothing that would qualify in Montana for hardwoods so I can't comment on that. Working in eastern wash when I was in high school I was exposed to locust trees. They were so hard you couldn't drive a staple into them. You just got it started and once or twice a year you would walk the fence line and urge them in a little more.

I have a little 12” 20v DeWalt and it sucks. Not enough balls to cut through oak. I need something better and more powerful. Before someone says it, I already have a big, gas pro-grade 24” Husqvarna. I just need something that rides in the truck for occasional light cutting. I’m not stockpiling cords with it. Want the most powerful electric saw without spending $500+. Any suggestions?
The echo is probably the best. Heard good things on ego. Buddy had milwaukee its good also.

gbflyer

WKR
We have the M18 Milwaukee because we adopted their system for all of our cordless tools. It works good. As others have stated, keep it sharp and let the saw do the work. If you dull it and think you’re going to pressure it through, it’s going to eat batteries like crazy.

I have a stihl, 320? It was the second largest they made. It has 1/4 chain with similar output to the larger saw with a bigger chain. Couldn't see using a larger cut with same power. I rarely get my 460 out anymore. It did come out today, had a dead ash drop that was probably 48".

I can cut firewood from redoak tops for 45 minutes on a single battery, made a post about it here. Pretty happy with it stihl, like 2 years later.

hiker270

WKR
On Youtube Project Farm Electric Chainsaw Review will give you some of the best info on Battery chainsaws.

Bears

FNG
I have that greenworks 60v. 3 years I think, priced so cheap I thought it would be a dog. It has exceeded my expectations. Really nice in camp not dealing with the noise and gas too.

Agreed 100% - I too have been pleasantly surprised. Ended up buying four of them so cheap I keep one in my truck, one in the trailer, one in the SxS, and another in my gear bag. The best deal was buying one of them complete (for less than the price of the battery) that was a customer return because it "couldn't cut". The chain was on backwards.

Shraggs

WKR
Agree on stihl. I’ve cut a shitton with it.

Msa 220 cb with their ap batteries. Definitely the equal if gas for 35-45 straight minutes of run time.

The big big trees best left to a longer bar and therefore gas

11boo

WKR
Agreed 100% - I too have been pleasantly surprised. Ended up buying four of them so cheap I keep one in my truck, one in the trailer, one in the SxS, and another in my gear bag. The best deal was buying one of them complete (for less than the price of the battery) that was a customer return because it "couldn't cut". The chain was on backwards.
lol. I bought 2 spare chains so I’ve always got a sharp one. Takes the same battery as my mower too. Good cheap saw that just works.

IMG_3199.jpeg

I have a little 12” 20v DeWalt and it sucks. Not enough balls to cut through oak. I need something better and more powerful. Before someone says it, I already have a big, gas pro-grade 24” Husqvarna. I just need something that rides in the truck for occasional light cutting. I’m not stockpiling cords with it. Want the most powerful electric saw without spending $500+. Any suggestions?
Get the 16 inch version of that you have. That thing is a monster! I throw it in the back for my spring hunts which is a must.