Nemo tensor insulated reviews?

I’ve been planning to get the newer XTherm max, but saw the Nemo tensor insulated is on sale on a lot of sites. R 4.2 is probably fine for most of my uses and I have a CCF pad for another R 2.0 (+/-) but some reviews complain it’s fragile and some say it’s fine.

Curious of any long term opinions from a hunting perspective (ie not perfect weather and not perfectly groomed campsites)

I basically like my insulated tensor.

It lasted about a year before it started going flat inexplicably. Nemo replaced it, but it was not a quick process with their customer service.

My hunting partner says it's noisy, but I've never noticed.

ChrisAU

WKR
New edition are on the way that allegedly don’t suffer from the durability issues. A new one called the Extreme Conditions is 3.5” thick with a 8.5 R-value and only 17 oz. I think a wide version of it may join my stable for cold hunts.

svivian

WKR
I just used the new one from Nemo with the higher R rating with a 15 degree bag and I was very impressed. Stayed warm even though it got down to zero degrees by morning this past weekend. Not loud like the xtherm which is a big plus

Tahoe1305

WKR
New edition are on the way that allegedly don’t suffer from the durability issues. A new one called the Extreme Conditions is 3.5” thick with a 8.5 R-value and only 17 oz. I think a wide version of it may join my stable for cold hunts.
Careful here. I got one and it was almost 1/3lb overweight. Made a stink about it with nemo CS. They admitted to grossly under advertising the weight. I sent it in to see if something was wrong (at their request). After a week they just admitted they screwed up and offered a refund or to send back.

I have the reg-wide. It’s 25oz on a scale. Original online (and on box) weight was 20oz.

To the OP. I have a L-W tensor alpine (a slightly warmer version r-4.8) for sale in here if you want to try. Not sure how much more the alpines are over the regular tensors but may be a good value to you. It actually came in under weight at 25oz as well.

Last edited:

hippa613

FNG
I picked one of those deals up and have a few nights on it in the back country. Its comfy and doesnt seem too noisy compared to my friends older sea to summits. I was apprehensive about the reviews too but its worked good and holds air for now. I dont have any trips for a while so hoping it works next time I need it!

ChrisAU

WKR
Careful here. I got one and it was almost 1/3lb overweight. Made a stink about it with nemo CS. They admitted to grossly under advertising the weight. I sent it in to see if something was wrong (at their request). After a week they just admitted they screwed up and offered a refund or to send back.

I have the reg-wide. It’s 25oz on a scale. Original online (and on box) weight was 20oz.

To the OP. I have a L-W tensor alpine (a slightly warmer version r-4.8) for sale in here if you want to try. Not sure how much more the alpines are over the regular tensors but may be a good value to you. It actually came in under weight at 25oz as well.

Ithe reg wide is claimed as 25 oz now on their site, atleast “packed weight” even though it still shows a “trail weight” of 22 oz. I figured the packed weight included a stuff sack and pump sack. Even at 25 oz there is still norhing I know of that comes close to that R-value. I slept on packed snow in CO a couple weeks ago and froze my ass off with a BA Zoom UL and an Academy foam pad under it. Learned my lesson lol. Had gotten by with 3ish R ratings in single digit and even negative temp nights, but had never had to sleep on packed snow/ice before.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Ithe reg wide is claimed as 25 oz now on their site, atleast “packed weight” even though it still shows a “trail weight” of 22 oz. I figured the packed weight included a stuff sack and pump sack. Even at 25 oz there is still norhing I know of that comes close to that R-value. I slept on packed snow in CO a couple weeks ago and froze my ass off with a BA Zoom UL and an Academy foam pad under it. Learned my lesson lol. Had gotten by with 3ish R ratings in single digit and even negative temp nights, but had never had to sleep on packed snow/ice before.
Yup they changed it based on my and a few others feedback. Tried to make it seem like a website typo until I showed them the box that said 20oz too …..agree it’s still solid. I had it shipped back. They said that too” well even though we were wrong it’s still the best” so good luck. ;).

Weights for my Tensor Extreme (24.8oz) and Tensor Insulated (21.6oz), both Regular-Wide and including stuff sack, pump sack, Velcro compression strap, and patch kit.

For the extra inch of thickness, twice the R-value, and (supposedly) improved durability, for only 3oz more, I'd take the Extreme every time. Word on the street is that Nemo will be updating the Tensor line with a "All-Season" and "Trail" models with R-values of 5.4 and 2.8, respectively. I'll probably end up with one of those as well for ultralight summer & early season trips.

Attachments

• PXL_20231102_161242141.jpg
    PXL_20231102_161242141.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20231102_161258751.jpg
    PXL_20231102_161258751.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 18
Weights for my Tensor Extreme (24.8oz) and Tensor Insulated (21.6oz), both Regular-Wide and including stuff sack, pump sack, Velcro compression strap, and patch kit.

For the extra inch of thickness, twice the R-value, and (supposedly) improved durability, for only 3oz more, I'd take the Extreme every time. Word on the street is that Nemo will be updating the Tensor line with a "All-Season" and "Trail" models with R-values of 5.4 and 2.8, respectively. I'll probably end up with one of those as well for ultralight summer & early season trips.

I’d be interested to try out the Xtreme, I love my insulated Tensor though.

joelski

FNG
Big fan of my Tensor Insulated pad. I've had it for close to 2 years I think and never had an issue, also think it's quieter than most Thermarests out there. I have a zero degree bag and camp throughout the winter, I've never really had nights where I wished my pad was thicker/provided more insulation, and it's not overkill for summertime backpacking either. Great all around pad if you're looking for one to fit most of your use cases IMO.