Nevada 241-245

Hello everyone, I guess I got lucky and drew a 241-245 rifle tag in Nevada. I'm excited to have finally drawn my first tag in Nevada for any species after years of applying.

Definitely looking forward to a tough hunt with potential of finding a mature buck. Anyone that has hunted this unit in the past I would love to hear about your experience. The good, the bad etc. I feel like I know what I've got myself into but who knows.

Thanks in advance.

OP
T
Thanks, hopefully it will be a good time. Congrats on drawing the same tag as well.

I'm interested to see how the antler growth turns out this year being how dry its been in the area.

Not sure where to set my bar on this hunt besides trying to find a mature 5+ year old deer. I know densities are low and luckily I've been hunting a very similar unit in that aspect as well as the terrain for the last few years.

Either way, I can wait. It feels like I've been waiting for a long time to hunt Nevada!

lvtuna

FNG
Hit the water. If there are more than 12 camera's you know there is a big buck around. Assuming this. Have been scouting around. I am not a professional hunter. I also have a 24 rifle tag. Have seen deer in the flats to 8000 feet. We drew awesome tags.

OP
T
Thanks for the advice. I have been out a few times and plan to continue scouting over the next couple months. It seems like an awesome place.

Deer do seem to be scattered from top to bottom. I have definitely been focusing on water. It's been way too hot and dry not to.

Have either of you hunted or been on hints on the unit in the past? If so how did it turn out?

mickeyelk

FNG
Thanks for the advice. I have been out a few times and plan to continue scouting over the next couple months. It seems like an awesome place.

Deer do seem to be scattered from top to bottom. I have definitely been focusing on water. It's been way too hot and dry not to.

Have either of you hunted or been on hints on the unit in the past? If so how did it turn out?
I had the tag last year and hunted 241 and 242 mostly. There was plenty of water everywhere. Cameras are pulled by August 1st, I believe. During my hunt it was really cold so take the required items to stay warm. I wasn't successful, I missed, wish I could get the tag again. Really couldn't spend the time on the unit that it deserved. Most of the deer I saw were at the end of the season. The bucks were by themselves and traveling. Good luck.

lvtuna

FNG
My dad put me in for 24 since i was 12. 40 years later I got it. I get 13 mostly.
I had a 23 24 elk tag in 2004. So I hunted and scouted in there.
I grew up in Alamo also. So played around in this area a bit when I was young.
Each unit is holding very big bucks.

OP
T
That's awesome, congratulations on finally drawing the tag! I'm really looking forward to it and hunting hard. Luckily I have the ability to hunt the majority of the season so hopefully that helps.

I have spent the majority of my time in 23 over the years. Hopefully the experience i have in that unit will translate a little to 24. I haven't been able to narrow down where exactly I want to to concentrate yet but thats the fun of it.

Good luck to you guys and maybe I'll see you there!

lvtuna

FNG
A few more fires going in our area. The Bishop fire is still going as of yesterday. I was in the area this weekend. I usually try and narrow it done to three great spots. So yes this is making it much more fun on the choices. I do not know on how soon they move into a burn area. I was in a area that burned a month ago. The deer already moved in.