Archery Deer hunting in January

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
This year was my first putting in for New Mexico. Mainly went for elk but since I bought a license I put in for deer as well basically shooting the moon going for low odds not particularly wanting a tag. I drew an archery tag for January. I’ve only hunted mule deer archery in Nevada early season thus far. We have been successful but I’m really not sure what I’m getting into with this hunt. I’d like to keep this not unit specific unless someone would want to talk in a private message. It is a northern unit.
If it’s cold am I looking for deer bedded and have a chance at stocking in their beds? Or do they move around to much for that?
What do I need to prepare for weather wise? Is it fairly predictable cold or warm or be packing layers on my back for anything? Also I’d like to drive my diesel is that a bad idea that time of year for starting issues if it gets to cold? I honestly haven’t done any e scouting yet so I am a long ways away from even dreaming to ask questions about terrain or good places to look for deer. Mainly I’m just really excited to see a successful if anyone would want to share knowledge of past experiences that would be great!

Depending on the unit, that will most likely be a rut hunt. A few of the units I know of that have January archery, the deer are rutting. Should be a fun hunt. I don't think your diesel will be an issue. I've taken a diesel to New Mexico and Wyoming a few times on hunts.

OP
Dirtscoots

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. Rifle hunting the rut in Montana makes me feel like it could prove challenging to make stocks considering how much bucks move. I really don’t know how it would go in snow either. I’ve only made stocks on deer in socks. That would prove very cold I’m fairly sure.

TX_Diver

WKR
Be ready for cold. I lived in NM for awhile and it was significantly colder the year I drew a January deer hunt compared to normal. Highs around zero with negative wind chills some days. I’m not sure it got above freezing in the mountains. The year I drew the bucks started rutting the day after I left. Other years they’re rutting at Christmas.

You can get additives so your diesel shouldn’t be an issue. Jumper cables and a jumper pack as well as a sleeping bag and some extra food and water in the truck to get through a night in an emergency is always a good idea though!

OP
Dirtscoots

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
That is my concern exactly! On the Oregon coast 0 isn’t a thing hahaha. I may just take my gasser so I don’t have to worry about my fuel gelling up. Is there any tuning issues to be aware of with your bow in cold temperatures? I guess I’m a fair weather archery hunter. I’ve only had to deal with rain.

OP
Dirtscoots

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I get the forum is running rabid especially on the elk side on people wanting unit specific information. Just trying to clarify, the most valuable information to me is strategy to hunt deer with a bow at a time of year I have not. Or tips on what to expect weather wise. I’m assuming it’s too cold to be worried about snakes?

TX_Diver

WKR
That is my concern exactly! On the Oregon coast 0 isn’t a thing hahaha. I may just take my gasser so I don’t have to worry about my fuel gelling up. Is there any tuning issues to be aware of with your bow in cold temperatures? I guess I’m a fair weather archery hunter. I’ve only had to deal with rain.
I’ve hunted antelope at 80+ and deer at -10 to 20 wind chill and never adjusted my bow. Things do sometimes want to creak a little when cold so if you’re fighting bow noise get it taken care of ahead of time.

Bring lots of hand warmers too. I had 2 in each glove, one in my pocket with my release, and another in my other pocket for some extra warmth.

That said it’s not always that cold and you could easily see days in the 40s-50s.

Take whichever truck has better tires/suspension. The diesel gel issue isn’t an issue with additives. I drove my diesel through winter in NM and WI and never had an issue. Local stations should already have treated fuel too.

Just be prepared.

Be prepared for really cold weather and for those bluebird sunny days when the temp can hit 40-50. It won’t affect your bow any except for the creaking noises. No snakes to worry about since they have gone into their dens long before January. There aren’t many in a Northern unit anyway. Get on high points to find them out in sage flats. You can try stalking up on them but if there has been snow then melt and snow again it will be super crunchy and hard to walk in. I have had luck sitting tree stands in saddles and game trails as well as ground blinds. I like the ground blind more since it keeps the wind off and you can put a small heater in it with you. I will only sit in a tree stand in the afternoon and on warmer days. I tried sitting in a tree stand once in the morning and I was so cold and shaking that the tree could have shook right out of the ground. If there isn’t much snow or its powder then spot and stalk works really well. Mule deer usually rut in late November into mid December in the north. You might see some post rut activity in early January if a doe goes back into heat. The last time I had the January hunt it was -22 the first day and warmed up to -5. It did that for about a week then it was in the single digits above zero at night and warmed to mid to high 30’s during the day. Pray for cloud cover because those clear blue sky mornings are a lot colder till the sun comes up.

BGNRSLK

FNG
Be prepared for really cold weather and for those bluebird sunny days when the temp can hit 40-50. It won’t affect your bow any except for the creaking noises. No snakes to worry about since they have gone into their dens long before January. There aren’t many in a Northern unit anyway. Get on high points to find them out in sage flats. You can try stalking up on them but if there has been snow then melt and snow again it will be super crunchy and hard to walk in. I have had luck sitting tree stands in saddles and game trails as well as ground blinds. I like the ground blind more since it keeps the wind off and you can put a small heater in it with you. I will only sit in a tree stand in the afternoon and on warmer days. I tried sitting in a tree stand once in the morning and I was so cold and shaking that the tree could have shook right out of the ground. If there isn’t much snow or its powder then spot and stalk works really well. Mule deer usually rut in late November into mid December in the north. You might see some post rut activity in early January if a doe goes back into heat. The last time I had the January hunt it was -22 the first day and warmed up to -5. It did that for about a week then it was in the single digits above zero at night and warmed to mid to high 30’s during the day. Pray for cloud cover because those clear blue sky mornings are a lot colder till the sun comes up.

What was the deer behavior on those super cold days? Warm days?

Deer behavior was the same except that they may stay in their bed longer on a warm day. Also, mule deer are a lot more jumpy and nervous in the morning than late afternoon and evening.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I had this tag for a different unit a couple years ago. I stopped applying for not great tags that involve a 17 hour drive after that hunt 😂

The rut was definitely over when we hunted - we saw a fair amount of does but the bucks seemed to be hanging out in the thick stuff. I would go as early as possible, we were pretty far south and hunted the last week of the season. Supposedly the first week had some rutting going on.

As far as the diesel, I would check the forecast and if it looks cold get some straight #1 in your truck before you head into the boonies to hunt. Maybe get a Noco booster to get it started…

shoot me a message and I can give you any other details.

OP
Dirtscoots

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the info. The more I read and research the more I’m getting excited for this hunt! I’m not to concerned about the rut seems like they would be easier to make stocks on if they hold still longer. I will definitely take the whole season off. As long as I’m seeing deer I would like to hold out for a decent buck.

CMF

WKR
I hunted a southeast unit in Jan and got there a few days later than the opening. I didn't see much rutting activity, but still found enough deer to make several plays on bucks, but it never worked out and I had to cut the hunt short for a work thing. Always saw deer moving well after daylight.