Nevada draw system

Beendare

WKR
I’m going to post this here to help guys allocating their $$$

I have 19 points in Nevada for elk. I think the license fee was under $100 when I started…now $155 or so for a non res.

The point; after 19 years of applying, my odds for a decent archery elk tag ( in most of the units) is less than 1%. In fact, the odds have gotten worse not better.

I edited out units from the chart but heres what a couple decades of paying the fees in Nevada gets you
IMG_0270.jpeg

Nevada has such a limited resource and they strive for quality hunts. So very few tags are given out. I apply there but dang it always seems like a waste of money.

Riplip

WKR
That's crazy after 19 years. I have been applying for five years, and not holding out any hope. I do like the fact that there is a very very very small chance that you can draw an incredible tag with low point totals. I kind of look at as a lottery every year.

Hope you draw something soon to make it worthwhile.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Wow! and here I was considering just trying my luck with 0 points. I bet they don't even carry the decimal point out far enough to give those odds.

Good luck to you this year!

I hear ya on the draw odds, but with the quality, limited tag numbers and long seasons it’s hard to pass up as a serious western hunter. Sure is nice when you do get lucky. I am sitting on 16 points for elk, deer, desert sheep, antelope and now 0 for Cali Bighorn where I previously had 11. It was a pretty amazing hunt for $1200 sheep tag. Hope to draw another species again in the future. I have never been lucky but sure was last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Legend

WKR
I’m going to post this here to help guys allocating their $$$

I have 19 points in Nevada for elk. I think the license fee was under $100 when I started…now $155 or so for a non res.

The point; after 19 years of applying, my odds for a decent archery elk tag ( in most of the units) is less than 1%. In fact, the odds have gotten worse not better.

I edited out units from the chart but heres what a couple decades of paying the fees in Nevada gets you
View attachment 700882
I have looked at this pretty hard and even spoke with the Department. It really isn't possible to calculate draw odds in NV. At best you could build a model and run simulations.

I guess my point is don't loose any sleep over these numbers as they are not draw odds. The reality is you just need to get lucky.

cfdjay

WKR
That's how the get me every year too...that small chance. I've been the one to luck out before so I fully subscribe to the "you have to be in it to win it" idea

johnsd16

WKR
Nevada is not the state to apply to for elk. Apply for other species and just add the elk app, but if you’re in NV only for the elk game, that’s a very very low odds game.