New .325 wsm (for me anyway)

TylerW

FNG
Just put a Ruger m77mkII .325wsm on layaway today and was looking for loads, field experience and if anybody has seen one of these before I did not even know Ruger made a .325wsm. For a scope I was thinking a leupold, vortex, or maybe a zeiss hd5 but that's a little more than I'm wanting to spend more like in the $400-800 range, for bullets I'm leaning towards a 200gr. TSX or swift A-frame or Partition. Looks like it will be a good elk, black bear, probably goats it won't be a light weight but if can keep my scope in the 1'' 3-10 or 4-12 range it will still be lighter than my .300 Dakota at 9.5lbs.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have been using a 325 Wsm the last two years. So far it has taken a sheep, a couple moubtain goats, a couple caribou, a moose, a couple grizzlies, a black bear, and a couple Sitka deer. Mine is a browning ti version cut down to 18" from 23". With a leupold vx2 2-7x28 it weighed in at 5.9 pounds so it is plenty light for mountain hunting. In 2013 I used 160 ttsxs with rl17 powder and was averaging 3050 fps out of the 18" barrel and this past year I was using 200 partitions at 2800 fps. Both worked great but I like the 200s a bit better as I bought a 325 to shoot heavier bullets if I wanted to shoot 165s class bullets i would have just got a 300 WSM. You can add about 150 fps to my velocity if shooting a 23-24" barrel rather than the stubby 18" barrel but it sure is nice to carry on a pack through the brush.

Anyways I hope that helps some. It's a great all round cartridge for Alaska for sure I think you will be happy with it.

OP
TylerW

TylerW

FNG
I'll will trying 200gr. bullets first just like you said if I wanted to run 165-168 I would run my .300 Dakota 168 tsx at 3350 and the next gun up the chain is my kimber .375hh so this should fit in between the two just fine. Hoping the end weight will be around 8.5 lbs my 30-06 ruger is about that I figure the 06 is a long action 22'' barrel the 325wsm is a short action 24'' barrel so they should be close.

Did you use the partitions on the moose and grizzlies?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Have used partitions and ttsx on Grizzlies and the harder to kill animal the mountain goat at well. Works well certain and cheaper than a frames though 200 grain a frames seem like a sweet bullet to use as well.

P.S. I have a Kimber Talkeetna in 375 H&H as well and I plan on cutting it down to 20" to make it handier as well as rebore it to a 416 Remington as the sole purpose of this rifle is bear hunting and backing others up on bear hunts and like all my rifles its carried much more than its shot.

Last edited:
OP
TylerW

TylerW

FNG
oooo....... don't tell me that! I have been eye balling the ruger guide gun in 416 ruger I keep telling myself that if ever draw my Kodiak bear tag I will get a 416. I bought my kimber when I was like 15or16 I was going over my 375 brass the other day and had over 150 pieces of empty federal premium brass! What is factory ammo about 75 bucks a box. Took my best caribou with it and the next year rolled my 4 wheeler on it and busted the stock in half!

416 Remington mag is what you would rebore it to?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
oooo....... don't tell me that! I have been eye balling the ruger guide gun in 416 ruger I keep telling myself that if ever draw my Kodiak bear tag I will get a 416. I bought my kimber when I was like 15or16 I was going over my 375 brass the other day and had over 150 pieces of empty federal premium brass! What is factory ammo about 75 bucks a box. Took my best caribou with it and the next year rolled my 4 wheeler on it and busted the stock in half!

416 Remington mag is what you would rebore it to?

Bummer about rolling your wheeler over on your rifle!!! That sucks big time.

Yeah I will be talking to JES in the coming days about that project. I sent him a Kimber Montana in 270 two months ago and had him bore it out to a 338-06 and I like it a lot. Find a better load with it than I ever did with my 325 WSM and its lighter and looks better too and isn't a Browning ;) This will be my main carry rifle for the coming season I feel.

If you want I have a few different load combinations I can give ya? I ran a Model 70 in 325 wsm for years and still a few friends with them and I load for all of us. I really like the round out to about 350 yards as it has good K.E. with mild recoil. The problem I had here in Oregon is trying to find bullets for it! I finally gave up on it and picked up Model 700 in 300 RUM. Good luck with the new toy

OP
TylerW

TylerW

FNG
If you want I have a few different load combinations I can give ya? I ran a Model 70 in 325 wsm for years and still a few friends with them and I load for all of us. I really like the round out to about 350 yards as it has good K.E. with mild recoil. The problem I had here in Oregon is trying to find bullets for it! I finally gave up on it and picked up Model 700 in 300 RUM. Good luck with the new toy

IF you don't mind I will give them a try. I have been looking around for some brass in stock, the only thing in stock is nosler and its $$$$ oh well its not like I need 500+ rounds, 100 will kill a lot of game.

OP
TylerW

TylerW

FNG
TylerW - Kimber will put a replacement Montana stock on for not much over $300 if I remember correctly

That was 5-6 years ago, after hunting season I sent the gun in to Kimber about a week before Xmas and got it back just after New Years I did have to ask for the manager or what ever you to call him, I could not understand the first person I talked to(I don't mean a New York accent) but the manager was helpful and I got my gun back quickly.

GKPrice

Banned
Was I accurate on the cost ? and did they fix it or replace it ? I don't understand what the deal is with customer service at Kimber - I am good friends with the owner of a local gunshop here in Eugene and he showed me a Kimber 1911 that came in, I'd sooner spend my money on a Rock Island 1911, yet the next 2 that showed up were perfect - their QC person maybe wears "bad" glasses or something ??
I love the Kimber Montana, Classic too for that matter, but if you cannot have at least decent customer relations in today's world of "American Made" then I stay away - Having said that, don't expect much from Beretta USA either ...

OP
TylerW

TylerW

FNG
Closer to $500 but the stander Montana stocks are a little different than the Talkeetna. Their was no fixing it, it was a takedown in the wrong way tonight I will post a pic