New 338 Win Mag

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
Help me decide on a new Hunting rifle in 338 Win Mag.
Criteria
Under $5000
Under 8 lbs
Available in 30 days or less
Very shootable
Threaded barrel with side discharging beak
Stainless
Open to using Titanium Actions or Carbon Barrels but don't want to go to light.

Love the .338 win, but choices are getting slimmer these days. Your least expensive option would be to buy a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather or a Savage 110 Storm. Both are stainless, under 8 lb, but do not have a muzzlebrake so you'd have to take it to a gunsmith and have the brake of your choice installed. After that, man, you can get as creative as you want to with a custom. You gotta figure just the components for a build is gonna run you $2000-$4000 depending how light you want to get.

Help me decide on a new Hunting rifle in 338 Win Mag.
Criteria
Under $5000
Under 8 lbs
Available in 30 days or less
Very shootable
Threaded barrel with side discharging beak
Stainless
Open to using Titanium Actions or Carbon Barrels but don't want to go to light.
Skip the carbon wrapped barrel as well, its super easy getting even a varmint contoured rifle under 8 lbs
Not sure if they chamber in 338 win mag but check out Fierce.
The 338 win is getting less common with so many of the newer offerings, just curious why you settled on that round?

If your budget is up to $5000 I'd build off a defiance anTi action with the stock and barrel of your choice, I'd rather wait a few months than hastily settle on a rifle that's convenient.
If you find an action in stock give Benchmark barrels a call, if they have a blank in stock they can fit it to your action within your time frame, and they are exceptionally accurate.

There is a slick 338 RUM in the classifieds that basically meets all your requirements. I am just trying to figure out if I want the extra performance at the cost of recoil for the 338 RUM vs 338 WM.

Back