New Eastern Virginia hunter

Vail26

FNG
Brand new hunter here. Live in Virginia Beach, was curious about hunting deer on public land in the area like Back Bay, Cavalier, etc. If it's super over crowded, etc. I have a few friends who are going to take me up to some private land after the rut this year but I wanted to get in earlier and try my luck. Looking forward to starting hunting for the first time in my 40's!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

P.S. Ah, my hometown. Makes me just a little homesick. Lived in King's Grant (with my parents and as an adult) and a FCHS and ODU grad. Used to hunt dove right outside the back gate at Oceana. Was there last June and the place ain't the same, but nothing ever is.

OP
V

Vail26

FNG
My hometown as well... Can't stand it. Haha, but trying to make the best of it. Looked at hunt clubs but haven't found one that seems reasonable and doesn't run dogs.

Own a small patch of land that's too small to hunt on around Gloucester and dogs get run through it all the time. Drives me absolutely nuts. Can't stand them.

OP
V

Vail26

FNG
The dogs? Well... That's, am I? Yes, would it be a wise idea due to the payback that would come in various forms? No.

yeah i see your point
if it was me they would be a dead bunch of dogs, wouldn't be the first time
and won't be the last that I've shot dogs running on our property the owners get 1 warning to keep their dogs on a leash and under control when off the leash the second time we catch their (dogs) running on our property for any reason there is no second warning the dogs die on sight

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
There are some great military bases a couple hours from you. Ap hill both fort Pickett have great hunting and you don’t have to worry about dogs too much. If I was in your shoes I would be driving that far. Whatever you do if you ever get an invite from @GlendonMullins to go hunting turn it down, he will take you where you hear banjos.

OP
V

Vail26

FNG
Yeah, already been done in our area, caused a big issue. Guy who did it has his lab killed in retaliation and his kids harassed at school. I don't live up there but own the property. It's... Interesting. But yeah, looking to find a spot or two for deer come rifle seasons, which doesn't look like anything near me can be hunted. Chickahominy is the closest outside of hunt clubs I believe.

OP
V

Vail26

FNG
There are some great military bases a couple hours from you. Ap hill both fort Pickett have great hunting and you don’t have to worry about dogs too much. If I was in your shoes I would be driving that far. Whatever you do if you ever get an invite from @GlendonMullins to go hunting turn it down, he will take you where you hear banjos.
Appreciate it. I'll be doing ground hunting I think. I have a stand (was given to me) but given I'm new to the whole thing I'll stick to the easy stuff I think. Do you need a pass to hunt on the bases? Besides an ID (veteran with an ID)

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate it. I'll be doing ground hunting I think. I have a stand (was given to me) but given I'm new to the whole thing I'll stick to the easy stuff I think. Do you need a pass to hunt on the bases? Besides an ID (veteran with an ID)
Not sure about Pickett cause it’s been years. The hill is right in my back yard and the hunting is great so that’s where I’ve been hunting. https://faph.isportsman.net/ this can help get you started. A lot of studs get killed every year for people who put in the work.

Shooting a hunting dog without any threat to livestock or family will currently likely get you a felony animal cruelty charge in VA.

Something to consider.

There's a lawsuit challenging right to retrieve currently, but right now there's nothing you can do to keep dogs or hunters from trespassing while retrieving their dogs.

Are you allowed to shoot them ?

Shooting a hunting dog without any threat to livestock or family will currently likely get you a felony animal cruelty charge in VA.

Something to consider.

There's a lawsuit challenging right to retrieve currently, but right now there's nothing you can do to keep dogs or hunters from trespassing while retrieving their dogs.
Good thing I don't live in Virginia thanks for the info
We will be resident of West Virginia next spring

If it's running through y property and our horses start panicking then I concider them a threat
It's a dead dog

If it's running through y property and our horses start panicking then I concider them a threat
It's a dead dog

I don't know if horses are considered livestock.

Generally anywhere in the east you are going to find yourself with a whole world of headache if you start shooting dogs.

You can hold the owner liable for damages tho.

I believe west VA has some similar laws, they don't have deer dogs, but it's a lot of bear hunters. Don't know what part of WVA you will be in, but I'd recommend thinking very hard before shooting any hounds that are running thru horse pasture. Legal or not, most those guys aren't going to care about the law and I'd be willing to bet they will see it as an eye for an eye. They won't have hounds, and you won't have horses.

Bear hounds typically aren't much problem on private land, they stay to large tracts of public. Deer dogs in VA, that's a different story, the days are numbered tho.

Yeah, already been done in our area, caused a big issue. Guy who did it has his lab killed in retaliation and his kids harassed at school. I don't live up there but own the property. It's... Interesting. But yeah, looking to find a spot or two for deer come rifle seasons, which doesn't look like anything near me can be hunted. Chickahominy is the closest outside of hunt clubs I believe.
Chick is worth a shot. I scouted it but never hunted there when I lived in Richmond. Go just a little farther than the average bubba, hunt archery season and muzzleloader, and try to learn as much as you can every time you go. A good mapping program like onX or Gaia will help you get into and out of places in the dark which is key to success. When we lived in Richmond my wife and I would shoot 5-7 deer a year on public and we were very new to whitetails. A little extra effort goes a long way. The whitetail woods of Virginia will always be a special place for us!

I don't know if horses are considered livestock.

Generally anywhere in the east you are going to find yourself with a whole world of headache if you start shooting dogs.

You can hold the owner liable for damages tho.

I believe west VA has some similar laws, they don't have deer dogs, but it's a lot of bear hunters. Don't know what part of WVA you will be in, but I'd recommend thinking very hard before shooting any hounds that are running thru horse pasture. Legal or not, most those guys aren't going to care about the law and I'd be willing to bet they will see it as an eye for an eye. They won't have hounds, and you won't have horses.

Bear hounds typically aren't much problem on private land, they stay to large tracts of public. Deer dogs in VA, that's a different story, the days are numbered tho.
It will be Weston west Virginia we have bought
The property (480 acres) we are having a custom log home built hence the next spring until we move
I spent 20+ yrs in NYS Adirondacks 30 yrs here in Montana
Thanks again for the info im brushing up on the laws there

It will be Weston west Virginia we have bought
The property (480 acres) we are having a custom log home built hence the next spring until we move
I spent 20+ yrs in NYS Adirondacks 30 yrs here in Montana
Thanks again for the info im brushing up on the laws there

I don't think western, especially NW is nearly as bad as the rest. Southern, central, and eastern before the pan handle can be pretty rough.

Tho a lot of areas in the greater Charleston area ain't too favorable.

*Cough Nitro, *Cough Hurricane....