New Easton HIT Collars

I shoot Easton Axis 5mm arrows and I want to try collars to protect the front of the arrows a little better and was looking into Iron Will collars when I found Easton is offering them now. For Axis 340 spine the arrow OD is .267 and the collar ID is .271. Weight is 17 gr. Iron Will looks like tighter tolerance - ID is .269, weight is 10gr for the titanium.

Do I care about the Easton having 4 thousandths space vs IW 2 thousandths? Does it mean I'll have to epoxy the Eastons and won't have to epoxy the IWs so they are more re-usable? I prefer the 10 gr weight, prefer the price of the Eastons. Also, I have some broadhead adapter rings from my old ACC arrows that I can use too, how effective are they? I have shot my old ACCs through plywood with no damage, the Axis are a lot more fragile.

I'll add my current setup is 15.8% FOC, IW would be 16.49% and Easton 16.95%

Last edited:

OutdoorAg

WKR
I shoot Easton Axis 5mm arrows and I want to try collars to protect the front of the arrows a little better and was looking into Iron Will collars when I found Easton is offering them now. For Axis 340 spine the arrow OD is .267 and the collar ID is .271. Weight is 17 gr. Iron Will looks like tighter tolerance - ID is .269, weight is 10gr for the titanium.

Do I care about the Easton having 4 thousandths space vs IW 2 thousandths? Does it mean I'll have to epoxy the Eastons and won't have to epoxy the IWs so they are more re-usable? I prefer the 10 gr weight, prefer the price of the Eastons. Also, I have some broadhead adapter rings from my old ACC arrows that I can use too, how effective are they? I have shot my old ACCs through plywood with no damage, the Axis are a lot more fragile.

I'll add my current setup is 15.8% FOC, IW would be 16.49% and Easton 16.95%
I can't comment on whether on not the Easton collars will fit, but I do have experience with the Iron Will collars on Axis 5mm.

1. They fit perfectly
2. They are tough
3. I've never broken an Axis due to frontal impact when a collar is in place.

Side impacts are a whole diff story, and thats where the Axis is "fragile", IMO. Head on...I find them to be plenty stout. But if things get western and an axis tumbles after missing a target, or an animal takes off with it hanging out of its body... poof, gone.

Buy the Iron Will with confidence.

nphunter

WKR
Either will be fine. I have always used hot melt. They will save the arrow but if your shooting aluminum or brass HITs they will bend inside the arrow and even with the collar the arrow will not fly true with broadheads.

big44a4

WKR
I don’t glue or hot melt collars on. Never had any issues just holding them in with field point/broadhead.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Guess I’m the odd man out. I’ve been using VPA footers for years, no glue and no problems. Cheaper than IW or Easton.
The Easton’s don’t look to be as long as the VPA or IW.

Another option is to buy some aluminum arrows and make your own of whatever length you need, just match the inside diameter of the aluminum arrow to the OD of your axis

I have a bunch of aluminum’s that are the right size for 300 spine axis, super cheap and works well. I just use a little pipe cutter and then bevel each end a little and of course dry fit every one before gluing

Just another option, but I started doing that to protect the end of the axis… only issue I have ever had with axis/hits is when I’m shooting sage rats over east, with a lot of hard impacts, I will eventually get some brooming on the end of the shaft

With that being said, that type of shooting shows how tough the axis truly are, and it shows the hit system is also durable, because I will shoot the same 3 arrows for several days and every shot is a hard impact, between the hard alkaline dirt and glancing impacts with sage brush, and not mess up an arrow the whole trip (lose a few nocks) but I have not had a hit rip out the side of the shaft yet, even without a sleeve/footer

But making your own sleeve/footer is easy if you care to

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
Another option is to buy some aluminum arrows and make your own of whatever length you need, just match the inside diameter of the aluminum arrow to the OD of your axis

I have a bunch of aluminum’s that are the right size for 300 spine axis, super cheap and works well. I just use a little pipe cutter and then bevel each end a little and of course dry fit every one before gluing

Just another option, but I started doing that to protect the end of the axis… only issue I have ever had with axis/hits is when I’m shooting sage rats over east, with a lot of hard impacts, I will eventually get some brooming on the end of the shaft

With that being said, that type of shooting shows how tough the axis truly are, and it shows the hit system is also durable, because I will shoot the same 3 arrows for several days and every shot is a hard impact, between the hard alkaline dirt and glancing impacts with sage brush, and not mess up an arrow the whole trip (lose a few nocks) but I have not had a hit rip out the side of the shaft yet, even without a sleeve/footer

But making your own sleeve/footer is easy if you care to

I do this too. I know there are maybe better options but this is solid and have never had one snap one and elk or a 3D target. It really adds a bunch of strength where it is needed. #oldschool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk