New Garmin Messenger

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody have first hand knowledge and reveiw of the new Garmin Messeger device and the messenger app for phone

Have it, love it. I’m coming from a gen 1 Inreach Explorer, and I’m super impressed with the size, app interface, and speed of sending and receiving on the Messenger. I never had the mini, so I can’t compare it with that, but the Messenger is pretty awesome. It’s battery life is legit, too. I had it on a four day backcountry excursion and came back with it at 59% charged.

I have one but have not used it yet.
Thanks for the link. I have used a borrowed mini and a zoleo on different trips, but hadn’t thrown down for my own. I actually had a mini 2 in my REI basket. Seems like this is the new hotness for back country coms. I noticed they are available at REI For $300 now. Curious to hear some field reports but I expect this will be on my shopping list for next year.

How are people using these compared to a Rhino when hunting with partners? I know this may not be how this thread was intended to start but am done with Rhino lack of ability. Thank you.

I have one. Used it for a week in Colorado this year. Had service for most of the trip so didn’t use it a whole lot other than letting the wife track my location and shoot a message over to my buddy. Worked fine, but developed a rattle at some point. Not sure if something internal broke or what, but the tracking and messaging still works.

Mine will pretty much be used to communicate with family back home or friends in the field. A lot of areas where I roam have no service.

A bit off topic - but can someone run me through the logic of having these things on your pack strap? Is it to facilitate service connection?

there are certain items I like to keep on my person (not pack or bino harness) specifically in my pants pockets or on my pants belt like a small emergency kit, my gps, small fire starter kit so that I am unlikely to be separated from them. If I start carrying a communicator like this, I would prefer to have it in my cargo pocket In case of an emergency.

I haven't really tested mine yet but it's supposed to have the antenna, top, in view of the satellites. Not sure how it would do in a pocket. I'll try to test it out when I get around to using mine.

Worth it for the battery life, can also reverse charge with it (use it as a power bank and charge your phone if needed) assuming you have a cable with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can try to make you one before I leave for Alaska next week. How does $20 plus shipping sound? I sent one via UPS to someone else but the shipping was almost as much as the holder.
Ya that sounds fair to me. Does it just secure with Velcro? My hope would be that I could attach it to the bottom of my stone glacier bino harness so I make sure that I always have it with me.

It does. I use some Velcro straps wrapped around my shoulder strap so it has a clean view of the sky for the antenna.

Back