New kit to test: Vortex Fury 5000 AB

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Just received these to review.

It will be a while before the review is complete, but if there is anything particular y'all would like me to test, let me know and I'll do my best.

22lr

WKR
Looking forward to hearing about these. Would like to get some side by side reviews of the glass. They should be simalier optically to the Vipers, but always curious to hear more opinions.

Dmr400

FNG
Not sure if you have already completed this but I would be really curious how they handle ranging small things like coyotes in open fields where you can't bounce off a bush or something close by.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure I'll be able to find a Coyote to make that happen, but I'll see what I can find. The difficult thing about testing that, though, is it's really easy to range the ground right behind a target or in front of it and be thinking you got the animal when you really did not. So usually, I am looking for skylined targets so I can be sure I really ranged what I think I did. Not sure it will be a good enough substitute, but I like telephone poles for this reason. They are narrow, dark and you either hit them or hit sky. But I've been looking for animals as well, so hopefully be able to get something there as well. But unlike my previous reviews where I had the RF for months and during hunting season, so I could really wring them out, I have to return these shortly, so we'll see what we can get here.

Dmr400

FNG
I can see that, but I've never hunted telephone poles :) I guess what I'm wondering is about the rangefinders ability to get a useable range on a target like that, rather than its ability to get an exact one. Both things are important for its performance, I have a monocular rangefinder that delivers surprising good results on all the things we test them on that don't matter, and horrible results trying to range actual animals. Often times you can hit a tree or bush around the animal and get a good guess, but sometimes there isn't anything to cheat with. Thank you for the reply!

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I am totally with you on that, telephone poles taste terrible on the grill! But in all seriousness, I do look for them because of their color and texture, small width, and mainly...propensity to be skylined. That said, I have been able to get some cows and calves that were skylined so I could be confident what I was reading off of. Hope to get some more, a nice dog would be great....if I had more time with the RF, I could eventually get into some deer and elk, but not this time. But yeah, I keep considering trying to get an old hide someone does not want and making my own deer with a 3D archery target that I could move around for testing. Just have not been able to get that done yet.

Dmr400

FNG
I was thinking about the dog, I've used mine to play with rangefinding reticle before. The hide on a 3d target is a fantastic idea though!

Looking forward to hearing about these. Would like to get some side by side reviews of the glass. They should be simalier optically to the Vipers, but always curious to hear more opinions.
I agree man. Vortex advertises the optical quality to be more enhanced than the vipers, acting as a middle ground between the vipers and razors, similar to the Kaibab. However, I think they're just tech-filled vipers lol.

Does anyone think the vipers and razor 4000 rangefinders make a better pair? I have had Leupold and vortex binocular-rangefinder combos and all have horrible batteries. And I've heard these AB are worse since it has so much tech on board.