New LandCruiser

You ever been to Kenya? Man you can go to the smallest of the small towns and they are crawling with land cruisers and land rovers. From the dog catcher to the town council. Amazing. The first time I was ever truly car jealous.
Haven’t been to Kenya but have worked oil and gas all over the Middle East. Those real LCs are everywhere! I’m flying to Argentina tomorrow for work. No LCs down there because the country has too many economic issues (but the new President is fixing those problems finally!!).

There are tons of Hilux’s which are awesome bullet proof trucks!

gearguywb

WKR
What most people consider "real LC's" are Prado's.

Want to guess what the 250 series is built off of? :)

Buzby

WKR
LC 70 series are “real” land cruisers
LC 250 series (Prado/new US LC) are “real” land cruisers
LC 300 series are “real” land cruisers.

The hybrid drive train will be a nonissue. Toyota has been making reliable hybrids for over a 1/4 century. I’d guess there are more hybrid Prius’s with 300,000mi on them than just about any other vehicle. Been to NY? Seen the thousands of Prius taxis? They’re fine. They’re proven.

You don’t have to like it, but the EPA is killing off V8 engines. It was never going to be an option for this new Land Cruiser. The 4cyl hybrid is making 326hp! That’s not much of a compromise

yfarm

WKR
2k difference in towing capacity, only drivetrain difference is the engine, can’t imagine that doesnt have a performance effect.

Buzby

WKR
2k difference in towing capacity, only drivetrain difference is the engine, can’t imagine that doesnt have a performance effect.
Fair point.

Im not sure how Toyota calculates their towing capacities. The 4Runner specs are all over. Even change year to year during the same generation.

The new GX is actually rated at over 9k! 3k more than the LC yet similar power ratings.
349hp/479tq vs 326hp/465tq
For reference a 1993 Chevy 3500 was rated at 10k with a whopping 190hp!

I’ve never thought power to be the main limit. Transmission, brakes, vehicle weight, and suspension being much more crucial in my eyes.

Edit to add, the V8 4Runner was only rated at 5k with a standard hitch. 7k with a WDH. I’m not sure what hitch the new LC is rated with.

Last edited:
I looked at a Lexus they had on the floor for a few days. Really liked the size/features.

I have cash down on a 250 series, but absolutely refuse to pay anything over retail. We will see how it goes.
may want to buy through Costco. It’s pre-negotiated price. Ours was a few thousand under list. Wife wanted very specific model which was not common, or I would have taken that price as highest possible price and gone to othe Lexus dealers and negotiated down from there. Lack of availability right now in US makes it a sellers market, although I think that may change later this year.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I drive a 100 series, my wife drives an LX570, I've got a 1979 FJ40 sitting in the shop (runs and drives fine), and I've owned/sold another FJ40, a 60 series, and I had a double cab 75 series from Australia for a while. Those are on top of other Toyota's I've owned throughout the years.

I'll get one of the new ones, but I'll wait a few years for the used prices and to see if any bugs have to be worked out.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think I will ever sell my 100 series. I would jump in it and drive it to Alaska today. I am eyeing the new ones, I will have to wait until the hype dies down and I can pay sticker price before I will consider having two Cruisers

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's awesome that they're building a "budget" option, that doesn't have all the Lexus luxuries/add-ons.

This is a way more intriguing package to me than the 200 series was.

My FJ Cruiser was easily my favorite mountain vehicle I've owned. I could definitely see getting one of these to use the same way.

hoot504

FNG
I think it's awesome that they're building a "budget" option, that doesn't have all the Lexus luxuries/add-ons.

This is a way more intriguing package to me than the 200 series was.

My FJ Cruiser was easily my favorite mountain vehicle I've owned. I could definitely see getting one of these to use the same way.
I'm all for a budget option and think it could be really popular here. I only wish they offered the 'budget is no consideration' 300 series state-side. Just a much more robust platform, that admittedly doesn't make any financial sense. That way I'd have something to replace my 200 series with if something ever happened to it. The way it stands currently, I'm terrified of some idiot crashing into me, as the only thing I would really want to replace it with would be a used 200 series.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
I'm all for a budget option and think it could be really popular here. I only wish they offered the 'budget is no consideration' 300 series state-side. Just a much more robust platform, that admittedly doesn't make any financial sense. That way I'd have something to replace my 200 series with if something ever happened to it. The way it stands currently, I'm terrified of some idiot crashing into me, as the only thing I would really want to replace it with would be a used 200 series.

Im not super familiar with the larger ones. Is the new Lexus LX the same as the Landcruiser 300 sold elsewhere?

Weldor

WKR
Sure wish they would sell the fullsize FJ along with the Diesel Defender in the USA. Jeep needs some competition.

Beendare

WKR
Man I wish the stupid EPA would allow those Toyota Hi Lux motors. Some of those mid size getting 40+ mpg.

I have a Hino 1.5ton truck in one of my businesses and that thing with a 14’ x 7’ high steel sides and dump and its always hauling something heavy gets almost 20 mpg. It would get that easy unloaded. Those little 4 cylinder diesel motors are very efficient.

Weldor

WKR
Big oil, EPA? someone doesn't like great mpg diesels. My 3 cyl. Kubota runs days on 11 gallons.

Drak

FNG
Man I wish the stupid EPA would allow those Toyota Hi Lux motors. Some of those mid size getting 40+ mpg.

I have a Hino 1.5ton truck in one of my businesses and that thing with a 14’ x 7’ high steel sides and dump and its always hauling something heavy gets almost 20 mpg. It would get that easy unloaded. Those little 4 cylinder diesel motors are very efficient.
I was drooling over the HiLux’s all over Costa Rica but sounds damn near impossible to get into Canada.