New Leupold Scope - Which One?

RSC12

FNG
Hey guys, guess I posted this on the wrong sub-forum so it got deleted. I'll try again here. I'm just hoping for some insight into which scope I should be looking at purchasing to put on my old Parker Hale 7mm Rem Mag. I'm looking for something lightweight and low profile with a dial system (Rifle is already ~ 9lb bare).

I'm debating between the:
- VX3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS-ZL
- VX3i 4.5-14x40mm CDS-ZL
- VX5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2

I'm looking to shoot at targets out to 5-600yrds and hunting to around 400yrds max. I currently have a 4.5-14 Bushnell Legend which has a mil dot system. I find the glass lacking and the 14x power difficult to use in real world hunting situations and think I would prefer to dial then using the hold over dots. It definitely has a tight field of view and makes follow up shots difficult on higher magnification.

So I guess my "new guy" question is if whether low end magnification is worth more than high end for realistic hunting distances. Also is it worth spending almost double the price and some extra weight for the VX5HD. I hunt a mix of heavy timber and open alpine. I almost wish there was a CDS version of a 2-12 in a more affordable option.

Thanks for the opinions,

RSC

Can I ask why?
They are pretty notorious for failing to dial accurately and returning to zero. I have a vx 3i on a 7-08 with the cds that’s been fine and had one on a 300 win mag that was fine until one day at the range when it was several inches off, corrected it thinking the dial may have been moved accidentally only to have it walk all over the place while trying to get it zeroed again. I have up and put a Nightforce shv on it and been much happier. The one on my 7-08 will be replaced before I hunt with that gun again. The one that came off my 300 is still sitting in my safe...I may put it on a 223 and see what happens but I’m pretty sure it’s gonna have to go back to leupold for repair.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Is the Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50BT a better option. Like I said I'm really liking the idea of a scope with a zero stop that I can reliably dial out to a reasonable range of 4-500yrds. Not sure who else makes them. Zeiss?

I'm also working with a budget of around $1500Can ($1200USD) and availability in Canada might be an issue as well.

Thanks

Is the Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50BT a better option. Like I said I'm really liking the idea of a scope with a zero stop that I can reliably dial out to a reasonable range of 4-500yrds. Not sure who else makes them. Zeiss?

I'm also working with a budget of around $1500Can ($1200USD) and availability in Canada might be an issue as well.

Thanks

the standard Rokslide answer would be go with one of the “proven” options

swfa
Nightforce
Bushnell lrhs/lrts

seems like these are always a solid bet, others are hit or miss. Anecdotal of course.

amassi

WKR
I find the eye box and relief on the vx5hd to be more forgiving than the vx3i. You've already got a heavy rifle so an extra 6 ounces won't break the bank. I have a dozen or so current leupys and they all work as advertised

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR

Thanks
Better? Yes, definitely. Failure proof? No. I still think the Z5 is a good choice for hunting and occasional dialing. The glass is outstanding. But if you want rock solid reliability, tracking and RTZ, and want to dial a lot, your options are all gonna be 20oz+.

Does it need to be a 1” tube? Take a hard look at Tract Toric. If willing no to go 30mm, Zeiss V4, and of course any Nightforce you can afford are all good choices.

83cj-7

WKR
If I’m buying a 3.5-10 optic it can be a 1” tube without a parallax adjustment. If I’m going to 4.5-14, I want the 30mm tube with side focus. Among others, I own 4 4.5-14x40 Leupold MK4 scopes and 2 3.5-10x40 VX3s. I spend lots of time behind Leupold optics. That said, the VX5 is worth the extra $ over the VX3i line.

Last edited:

Graves14

WKR
I recently replaced a vx3 4.5-14x with a vx5 3-15x.

I was really happy with it but when I drew a goat tag this year, I used it as an excuse to upgrade to a VX5 (ended up shooting my goat at 75 yards lol)

I miss how lightweight the VX3 was but the glass quality and side focus of the VX5 is astounding. For the purposes I think you will be happy with either but the VX5 glass is in another category.

They are pretty notorious for failing to dial accurately and returning to zero. I have a vx 3i on a 7-08 with the cds that’s been fine and had one on a 300 win mag that was fine until one day at the range when it was several inches off, corrected it thinking the dial may have been moved accidentally only to have it walk all over the place while trying to get it zeroed again. I have up and put a Nightforce shv on it and been much happier. The one on my 7-08 will be replaced before I hunt with that gun again. The one that came off my 300 is still sitting in my safe...I may put it on a 223 and see what happens but I’m pretty sure it’s gonna have to go back to leupold for repair.
This just isn’t true. Leupold sells way more scopes than companies like Nightforce. I bet with comparable high end optics, they fail at the same rate. They also sell cheaper scopes that people spin turrets on like a tactical scope - like the VX3i line. I have owned several leupold VX5HD and VX6HD scopes and they have been awesome. I shoot out to 1250 with them regularly and they all track like they have eyes. Glass is amazing - way better than NXS glass pretty comparable to ATACR glass.

Anyway OP - my vote is the VX5HD. I am putting together an UL backpack rifle and it will be sporting a VX3i.

My vx5 is the only scope I’ve ever owned that actually moved my scope what it was supposed to. I haven’t done a box test, just basing my claim off setting it up. I do have a vx3i 4.5-14 zl 30mm but haven’t gotten to test it out yet. The 3i 4.5-14 in 1 inch was ok but I like the ability to focus so I got the 30mm instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just isn’t true. Leupold sells way more scopes than companies like Nightforce. I bet with comparable high end optics, they fail at the same rate. They also sell cheaper scopes that people spin turrets on like a tactical scope - like the VX3i line. I have owned several leupold VX5HD and VX6HD scopes and they have been awesome. I shoot out to 1250 with them regularly and they all track like they have eyes. Glass is amazing - way better than NXS glass pretty comparable to ATACR glass.

Anyway OP - my vote is the VX5HD. I am putting together an UL backpack rifle and it will be sporting a VX3i.
I promise you I’m not the only one that’s had a leupold fail, if they work for you great but I’ve lost confidence in their dialing capabilities. The last thing I want during a hunt is to have to worry about if my scope is gonna track accurately when I need it to. If I was using it as a set it and forget it scope I would probably be ok with it. Like I said if they work for you though rock on.

elkguide

WKR
Another no confidence in Leupold vote here. Some are really good and others aren't. Their customer service can be really good or it isn't. I don't trust them especially for returning to zero from my experience. Hate to have the question in my mind when I'm hunting of is this scope going to be on when I pull the trigger.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. Sounds like the VX5HD is worth saving up for. I think I'll need to go see if I can find the VX5HD and Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50BT side by side to see which one I like better. Its too bad I definitely liked the price and weight of the VX3i and the fact that it now has a zero lock.

amassi

WKR
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. Sounds like the VX5HD is worth saving up for. I think I'll need to go see if I can find the VX5HD and Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50BT side by side to see which one I like better. Its too bad I definitely liked the price and weight of the VX3i and the fact that it now has a zero lock.
The 30mm vx3i with parallax is no slouch either it certainly outperforms its 1" counterpart.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I promise you I’m not the only one that’s had a leupold fail, if they work for you great but I’ve lost confidence in their dialing capabilities. The last thing I want during a hunt is to have to worry about if my scope is gonna track accurately when I need it to. If I was using it as a set it and forget it scope I would probably be ok with it. Like I said if they work for you though rock on.
Thats because you are trying to treat their low end cheaper scopes like a Mark5hd. So because your VX3 doesnt track perfect you shoot down the whole company. Its just BS. Props to Leupold for making all of their scopes in the US and not selling out to china. Even their cheap lines are made here.

BTW - my buddy had an ATACR crap out on him on a once in a lifetime alaskan moose hunt. Damn thing wouldn’t hold zero and the elevation turret wasn’t working. Nightforce isn’t bulletproof like some claim. They just sell a lot less scopes than Leupold and all of their stuff is expensive.

SDHNTR

WKR
Thats because you are trying to treat their low end cheaper scopes like a Mark5hd. So because your VX3 doesnt track perfect you shoot down the whole company. Its just BS. Props to Leupold for making all of their scopes in the US and not selling out to china. Even their cheap lines are made here.

BTW - my buddy had an ATACR crap out on him on a once in a lifetime alaskan moose hunt. Damn thing wouldn’t hold zero and the elevation turret wasn’t working. Nightforce isn’t bulletproof like some claim. They just sell a lot less scopes than Leupold and all of their stuff is expensive.
I hear ya on this, and agree to an extent, but stuff should also work as designed and marketed. If they market the CDS system and put it on a VX3, the damn thing should work the way they say it will. Or Leupold should not offer the option on scopes that aren’t robust enough to dial reliably.

SDHNTR

WKR
To the OP, if you like the VX3 weight and price, just get one with the BDC reticle and use holdovers. That’ll work fine out to 4-500 no problem, and they are still a good option for a set and forget zero.