New Mexico Bear and Cougar under attack!

dtrkyman

WKR
Our state’s hunting traditions are under attack and hunters need to speak up now.

Anti-hunting groups are flooding the New Mexico State Game Commission with comments opposing all bear and cougar hunting. The comments are coming in as the commission is considering a new rule to set hunting seasons and other regs for the animals over the next four years.
The game commission is likely to adopt a proposed rule drafted by New Mexico Department of Game and Fish biologists that will allow continued hunting. The problem is, the anti-hunting comments on the bear and cougar rule are only a warm-up for anti-hunters.

Game Commissioners need to hear from New Mexican hunters! Click HERE to submit a comment in favor of responsible predator hunt programs and the scientific management proposal submitted by game department biologists.​
Once the game commission allows continued bear and cougar hunting in this rule cycle, anti-hunters intend to take their case straight to the New Mexico State Legislature. They intend to tell lawmakers that the game commission ignored the public comments it received opposing bear and cougar hunting to support their request that the legislature itself take action.

Two years ago, the legislature narrowly voted to outlaw trapping on public lands. The groups that pushed the bill latched on to the tragic case of a dog that was killed by a poacher’s snare in a recreation area that already was closed to legal trapping to make their case. The fact that legal trapping had nothing to do with the dog’s death didn’t stop the animal-rights activists.

Most hunters aren’t trappers. And although the New Mexico Wildlife Federation testified in the New Mexico legislature against the trapping ban, few hunters spoke up against it.

The NMWF expects to see a push from anti-hunters to try to get the legislature in 2025 to outlaw hunting bears and lions with hounds. Again, most hunters don’t hunt with hounds, and anti-hunters are counting on continued complacency among hunters to continue their divide-and-conquer strategy against our hunting traditions.

If the anti-hunters are successful in outlawing hunting with hounds, what’s next? Outlawing hunting ducks with retrievers? Outlawing hunting quail with pointers? Hunters need to stick together and realize what we’re up against. Don’t bet that the anti-hunters won’t turn their attention to your favorite form of hunting eventually if we don’t stand together.

As hunters, we need to oppose the anti-hunters’ approach of using emotional appeals to chip away at our state’s responsible hunting programs and traditions in the legislature.

Whether or not you hunt bear and cougars – comment on the pending bear and cougar rule. Let the game commission know that you support the scientific management proposal submitted by game department biologists and the continuation of scientific predator management programs in our state.

Now is the time to speak up - comment on the bear and cougar rule TODAY.​

Rob5589

WKR
Done! If we stopped the anti bear hunting initiative here in California there's no reason you guys cannot do the same.

First the anti hunters ban trapping to see what they can get away with. Then they go after the large predators which decimate the ungulate populations. Then they cut/ban ungulate hunting. Their play book is very predictable. New Mexico already banned trapping so it shouldn't be a surprise to see they are coming after mountain lions and bears next.

NMonit

FNG
First the anti hunters ban trapping to see what they can get away with.

As a hunter and also an avid hiker in the backcountry with my dogs, I supported the ban of traps on public lands (key word: public). We can have nuance right, and not accuse everyone with different views of being an anti-hunter, right?

I'm also not a fan of using hounds for hunting, but I can understand the difficulty increase that would result in a ban. As such, I'm neutral on this topic.

JCS271

FNG
As a hunter and also an avid hiker in the backcountry with my dogs, I supported the ban of traps on public lands (key word: public). We can have nuance right, and not accuse everyone with different views of being an anti-hunter, right?

I'm also not a fan of using hounds for hunting, but I can understand the difficulty increase that would result in a ban. As such, I'm neutral on this topic.

Congratulations, you sir are exactly the person described in the second half of the original post....

But I'll bet you would be the first person out there with poster in hand if someone tried to have a requirement that you're mutts be leashed up and under your Direct Control when using our public lands. You know for the protection of Wildlife and stuff!

Nah man. You're an ignorant anti hunter.

NMonit

FNG
you're mutts be leashed up and under your Direct Control when using our public lands.
I keep my "mutts" on Garmin GPS collars and within eye-sight. They're responsive to verbal recall, but can also be recalled by shock/vibration if prey drive takes over.

You folks really have turned these discussions in to something that's almost like tribal/partisan "us vs them," which is a shame.

I wish you the best on your goals, but it's clear you're not going to win anyone on the fence over with that emotionally driven defensive counter devoid of any scientific based discussion or attempt to convert a neutral such as myself. Cheers.

I keep my "mutts" on Garmin GPS collars and within eye-sight. They're responsive to verbal recall, but can also be recalled by shock/vibration if prey drive takes over.

You folks really have turned these discussions in to something that's almost like tribal/partisan "us vs them," which is a shame.

I wish you the best on your goals, but it's clear you're not going to win anyone on the fence over with that emotionally driven defensive counter devoid of any scientific based discussion or attempt to convert a neutral such as myself. Cheers.
Well it kind of is us vs them. You supported a ban on a time honored tradition because of ignorant fear. It's funny you claim I am driven by emotion yet the whole anti movement is run on emotion and ignorance of science.

Learn the basics of releasing a dog from a trap and you're good to go. Dogs are used to being restrained so they don't fight traps much at all. Snares or footholds.

Trappers rarely trap in the backcountry because it is not efficient so your dogs chances of being caught are near 0 anyways.

Last edited:

NMonit

FNG
Dogs are used to being restrained so they don't fight traps much at all. Snares or footholds.

Trappers rarely trap in the backcountry because it is not efficient so your dogs chances of being caught are near 0 anyways.
Roxy's Law was the reason we banned traps. My dogs are my children, so please respect my traditions and cultures, and I'll try to understand and respect yours

Roxy, a senior dog, was hiking with her guardians when she was trapped near a trail at Santa Cruz Lake in Northern New Mexico. Her guardian tried to free her, but Roxy was strangled to death before he could loosen the snare.

I am willing to acknowledge nuance and discuss. NM biologists have clearly stated that the black bear and mountain lion populations continue to increase above the recommended carrying capacity, which is why they have recommended an increase to the bear and lion quotas. Pretty simple. Basic wildlife management. Folks who desire an end to lion and bear hunting are challenging that to gauge future support for more wide-ranging bans on hunting. They know they want to end hunting and are looking for any opportunity to further that goal. Confirmation bias. I can respect that you may not personally engage in hunting with hounds but the practical reality is that hound hunting is far and away the most effective method of hunting bears and lions, it also allows the hunter to selectively harvest males, preventing the killing of females and orphaning cubs/kittens. Without hounds, hunting would be a rather ineffective wildlife management tool to manage lion and bear populations to keep balance in the ecosystem with other wildlife such as elk, deer, pronghorn, etc. I would ask you to reconsider your stance and support science-based wildlife management and the NM professional biologists’ recommendations, not necessarily “hound-hunting”. Is that sufficient nuance? Rokslide is a great place to learn and stay informed of hunting/wildlife conservation issues. I completely understand your deep connection with your dogs, I feel the same way about mine. While not a resident, I have a deep respect for New Mexico’s culture, wildlife, and amazing landscapes. I cherish every moment spent there. That is why I will do everything in my power to help those New Mexico hunters preserve their hunting traditions.

Last edited:
OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
You do not have to completely ban an activity due to someone setting illegal traps in the first place.

I flattened someone's "fur baby" when it tried to jump on me while trail running, you would have thought I murdered their first born! The mutt was unscathed but I assume he will think twice about his activities next time he is on trail!

If folks treated other people half as good as their pets things would be a lot better!

why do you not like hound hunting? Is there a more selective way to take bears?

And do you leash your dogs?
Just FYI the original trapping law made it illegal to trap any where near a designated trail.

do you support banning of trapping for wolves on public land?