New Mexico Elk hunting Questions

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
2024 will be my first year applying for a elk hunt in new mexico, it will be me and my brothers, can we apply together as a group on one application??. would this better are odds. how would you choose a unit? ive looked back threw old threads and other info finding a lot of good stuff. so many units look good but absolutely we can only get one unit.

hiker270

WKR
Odds to draw New Mexico are slim no matter what unit. I drew an archery tag in c many years ago and haven't drawn since. Hunted the Santa Fe National Forest NW of Espanola. I have hunted New Mexico several times but bought a landowner permit.

Last edited by a moderator:
My hunting partner and I applied on the same application every year, and got picked once. Not sure if doing it on separate application is better. If only one of you is picked, what plans do you have for the other hunter?

We tried for the Sargent area because we hunted in Chama on the Quinlan. At the time we were picked, we had the Quinlan ranch to access the back area of the Sargent by horseback. At the time (still could be true) you can't camp on the Sargent, and no motorized vehicles allowed so we were able to access the back end (7 miles from the front gate) by horseback. We both killed great bulls with the help of the Quinlan brothers who ran the Quinlan at the time. I heard that non-residents can no longer apply for bull tags, at least on the Sargent management area. Land owner tags only in that unit (as far as I know).

Npike4040

FNG
So would it be better to apply individually vs as a group?
If there is only one tag left and you have two people applying neither one of you will get a tag. So if you would be happy if either of you will get a tag then yes apply separately.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
We drew New Mexico unit b the 2nd year we applied we applied as a group if you apply as a group and are drawn and there is not enough tag left for you’re whole group nobody will receive a tag. Gila national forest is some of the best elk habitat I’ve seen unfortunately we had a poor choice of outfitters

Last edited by a moderator:

satchamo

WKR
Your odds of drawing are so slim I’d apply individually- your chances will definitely be better

OP
Andrewlonghi
I've noticed that some of the units aren't as high in elevation while I've been doing some research. Will this make a difference during September? I know elk like cooler temp and are usually higher in colorado must of the time. Anyone want to share their experiences with this in NM

fatlander

WKR
No one is going to tell you where to apply and where the elk are. The worse the odds are, the better the unit. The odds in New Mexico suck for a DIY nonresident across the board. Just Google around a bit and you’ll find what you’re looking for. Shoot for the moon and have a back up plan when you get those red bars the 3rd week of April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaker_cc

WKR
People on here do weeks of research before they apply for units across the west. My advice for you is to go to game and fish website and look around for a while. As bad as it sounds no one wants you to apply for their unit, and they probably won’t be happy to run into you in a unit they drew. Do the leg work and pick a unit that you would be happy hunting. You can’t draw New Mexico often enough to plan for it. Don’t get your hopes up unfortunately.

OP
Andrewlonghi
People on here do weeks of research before they apply for units across the west. My advice for you is to go to game and fish website and look around for a while. As bad as it sounds no one wants you to apply for their unit, and they probably won’t be happy to run into you in a unit they drew. Do the leg work and pick a unit that you would be happy hunting. You can’t draw New Mexico often enough to plan for it. Don’t get your hopes up unfortunately.
Thanks for the advice

The only way to slightly improve your odds is to apply through and outfitter. They give you a number
and it helps slightly.