New Mexico Record Bull/BOAL

intunegp

WKR
Haven't seen any mention of this yet here on the 'Slide, so I figured I'd share and start the discussion. Guy shot it on his family's cattle ranch. Rough scored at 436 1/8", previous record is 420 7/8" assuming it's scored as non-typical. Has to beat 398 7/8" if it's considered typical. I'm not familiar enough with elk scoring to say whether I think it should go one way or another.

ridge_crum_new_mexico_elk.jpg

Not to steal this guy's thunder, but I plan to hang my Colorado 2nd rifle OTC tag on a bigger one :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
That is a boom pole (with a chain hoist) that is doubling as a skinning rack. No tractor pictured! Bull was killed on a working ranch! Damn private landers!!! Unbelievable Bull!

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
The ranch appears to be just off the 60 between Magdalena and the VLA. Lots of big bulls run around that country. 16E is right next door and has seen it's share over the years.

IMG_1822.png
IMG_1820.pngIMG_1821.png

Last edited:
OP
I

intunegp

WKR
I heard it was 437-ish

I think 436 1/8" qualifies as 437-ish in most people's books. I gotta say though if I shot one anywhere near this big I don't think I'd feel the need to round up when talking about it's score.

WCB

WKR
It is funny all the "hate" this bull is getting online. As soon as guys hear "ranch" it is assumed it is a high fence ranch. Sounds like the bull lived on some public a lot. Jealousy is a funny thing.
Always makes me wonder when I see an elk hanging from a tractor.
Makes you wonder what? Ranchers can't have tractors? Even if shot with access to a tractor guys need to pack it out on their backs?

Aggie007

FNG
I think 436 1/8" qualifies as 437-ish in most people's books. I gotta say though if I shot one anywhere near this big I don't think I'd feel the need to round up when talking about it's score.

The comment above made me laugh and also congrats to the hunter. I have seen a lot of posts on FB about this bull.

Gerbdog

WKR
No hate, i'm sure that bull did visit public in that area from time to time, and i suspect it can only grow as big as it did by being damn smart and staying on private land as often as it could. No hate at all. Good for that guy for killing that bull and it looks like he made a great shot too.

OP
I

intunegp

WKR
It is funny all the "hate" this bull is getting online. As soon as guys hear "ranch" it is assumed it is a high fence ranch. Sounds like the bull lived on some public a lot. Jealousy is a funny thing.

Makes you wonder what? Ranchers can't have tractors? Even if shot with access to a tractor guys need to pack it out on their backs?

Agreed. How about the fact that none of the pictures show a tractor? Guys glance at something long enough to think they know what they're talking about before the intrusive thoughts take over and they can't stop thinking it shoulda been them. BOAL guy would be proud.

Where is it hanging from a tractor?

Maybe I missed it. Article says they loaded it onto a truck, but it's pictured on a trailer.

I think it comes down to semantics. If I loaded a bull onto a trailer being pulled by my truck there's a fair chance I'd just say I loaded him onto the truck. Especially for some ranch folk, the trailer is probably considered part of the truck the way they use it.

BBob

WKR
i suspect it can only grow as big as it did by being damn smart and staying on private land as often as it could.
The guy said it didn't show up at all last year and it was rumored to be holed up high in the San Mateo's all that year. There's more public in all that area than there is private and from what I see public land hunters most certainly could have had a chance at him. I'd bet that bull spent more time on public than it did private. It looks to me like he killed it right on the edge of their private which just outside of that is public and a stones throw (for an elk) from the San Mateo's.