New Missoula Hunter

Been reading on and off for a while. 30 years old and living in Missoula for the past year — will be here for the long haul. I came for the fly fishing but have been using the amazing public land here to take up hunting. Wanted to do it from a young age but didn’t grow up in a family where that was possible.

I’ve been taking the approach of doing it myself using resources available on the internet and it’s been amazing. Did a ton of grouse hunting last fall, learned how to “process” them, shoot, etc. Have also been shooting my .270 and working on getting dialed in for deer, elk, and antelope this fall. I think I’ll be ready in that respect, and I’m comfortable with the physical and mental demands of backcountry hunting. I like doing hard things and the basics of backcountry safety are baked into me. But I’m concerned that the going it alone approach may be a mistake when it come to processing and packing a larger animal. I’ve made some hunting acquaintances here but so far they aren’t exactly guys who have the same ethics or approach as me. I’m not exactly looking to day hunt, or road hunt, or get wasted, or do drugs, etc. So based on the folks I know, I’d rather go it alone than be in bad company.

So the question: are there ways you all recommend to meet guys with the same interests in terms of ethics and hunt plans? Or best to go it alone for now and see where things go?

Michael

Most every partner I got was acquired from those I met in the field doing the same thing. The partnership was developed over time with brief trips together as they happen.

Otherwise I tell the wife where the truck will be in the morning before I leave and send a text if the plan changes. I have been hunting alone for 45 years. Even hunting with my son on the weekends, I spend the preceding 5 days each week scouting for the weekend. Sometimes he just shows up to help me pack meat.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I live south of Missoula, recently moved here (two years ago). I have similar interests, although I have been big game hunting since I was young and recently took up fly fishing! I have had my best luck running into people at trail heads and through work.

Legend

WKR
Been reading on and off for a while. 30 years old and living in Missoula for the past year — will be here for the long haul. I came for the fly fishing but have been using the amazing public land here to take up hunting. Wanted to do it from a young age but didn’t grow up in a family where that was possible.

I’ve been taking the approach of doing it myself using resources available on the internet and it’s been amazing. Did a ton of grouse hunting last fall, learned how to “process” them, shoot, etc. Have also been shooting my .270 and working on getting dialed in for deer, elk, and antelope this fall. I think I’ll be ready in that respect, and I’m comfortable with the physical and mental demands of backcountry hunting. I like doing hard things and the basics of backcountry safety are baked into me. But I’m concerned that the going it alone approach may be a mistake when it come to processing and packing a larger animal. I’ve made some hunting acquaintances here but so far they aren’t exactly guys who have the same ethics or approach as me. I’m not exactly looking to day hunt, or road hunt, or get wasted, or do drugs, etc. So based on the folks I know, I’d rather go it alone than be in bad company.

So the question: are there ways you all recommend to meet guys with the same interests in terms of ethics and hunt plans? Or best to go it alone for now and see where things go?

Michael
Great name!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member, Michael.

Eddie

t_carlson

WKR
I wouldn't go way back in alone if you've never butchered an animal before. That goes 10X for an elk. Just don't. You'll see why when you finally do kill one or help someone get one out. In the meantime, get a doe tag or two and kill one (relatively) close to your vehicle. Use them as "practice girls" so to speak.

OP
T
Appreciate everyone reaching out and sharing some tips. Good reassurance that I’m on the right track.

Michael

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy. I am in Missoula as well and we are on the same page with how we want to hunt and the effort put in. I'll send you a Dm.