new moose hunter needs advise

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck to you Frank! I have been reading every post trying to gain as much knowledge as I can. At 53 I still haven’t made a moose hunt but I’m bound and determined to do it in a year or two with my Longbow. So many great folks here sharing info it’s much appreciated guys!

Corey

Southeast

FNG
Definitely. An ultralight chair, a glassing tarp, and a kindle loaded with books are three of my must-have items for a moose hunt. I struggle with the sedentary style of moose hunting - it is so different than the run-and-gun style of elk hunting I love. It can be very hard to go 4-5 days sitting in one spot and seeing no game larger than a swan. That's one thing I'd really warn people about as they go on their first moose hunt - especially in the first half of September.

mooster

WKR
Definitely. An ultralight chair, a glassing tarp, and a kindle loaded with books are three of my must-have items for a moose hunt. I struggle with the sedentary style of moose hunting - it is so different than the run-and-gun style of elk hunting I love. It can be very hard to go 4-5 days sitting in one spot and seeing no game larger than a swan. That's one thing I'd really warn people about as they go on their first moose hunt - especially in the first half of September.

my thoughts for stationary lake moose hunts where we have more generous weight allowances and want to be comfortable for 11 day camps. I've opted to spend a few more pounds (3.7 lbs. total to be exact), to buy a larger camp chair that is comfortable for long sits in camp and glassing the lake. its also taller for better visibility and ease of getting in & out. I also recommend oversize ball feet (11 oz) that slip over the chair legs to help prevent the chair legs from post holing into the soft soil. These ball feet, when removed, will fit inside the provided camp chair bag. When we're on an 11 day hunt, being comfortable all day is worth the weight penalty to me.

MARCHWAY Lightweight Folding High Back Camping Chair with Headrest, Portable Compact for Outdoor Camp, Travel, Picnic, Festival, Hiking, Backpacking
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728H6BXD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_VJDXYREM98MW8NP4E0XB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hikenture Camping Chair Stabilizing Rubber Ball Feet, Compatible with Helinox Chair, Anti-Slip Ball Feet for Uneven Terrain, Lightweight Anti-Sinking Ball Feet for Soft Surface, Khaki (Set of 4)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F315RM1/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_CPGWWDQWR36EPF9G6TG8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
my thoughts for stationary lake moose hunts where we have more generous weight allowances and want to be comfortable for 11 day camps. I've opted tp spend a few more pounds (3.7 lbs. total to be exact), to buy a larger camp chair that is comfortable for long sits in camp and glassing the lake. its also taller for better visibility and ease of getting in & out. I also recommend oversize ball feet (11 oz) that slip over the chair legs to help prevent the chair legs from post holing into the soft soil. These ball feet, when removed, will fit inside the provided camp chair bag. When we're on an 11 day hunt, being comfortable all day is worth the weight penalty to me...
Right on and amen! I am of the same mind. I started with the lite wt Helinox chair (the low one), and I used rebar end-caps to keep the legs from disappearing into the tundra. A couple years later I went to the higher backed and padded headrest Helinox chair...we use tennis balls for those feet.

I think the Helinox rocking chair is my next move LOL!

MTredneck

FNG
This sure was a great thread for an aspiring moose hunter to stumble across! Thanks to FCG for posting and all of you for the great information. As a lifelong elk hunter moving to Alaska in a couple weeks the learning curve for moose seems a little daunting, although I guess I'll have a painful year to figure it out while I wait for residency. It sounds like I'll have to trade 'spot and stalk' for 'lounge and locate.' Not sure how I feel about that, but like FCG I'm not as young as I once was. I figure once a moose is in the freezer I can shift my sights to goat, sheep, and a caribou or two! Not sure how long it'll take to work through that list, but sure excited to try. I never could draw a tag for the aforementioned unicorn tags down here in Montana, although I will miss elk... I just have to survive the drive up the Alcan. Any way, thanks again for the opportunity to lurk and learn!

Viper*6

FNG
Shoot the moose next to the road. You can thank me later. Alaskans dedicate a chain saw filled with vegetable or canola oil for the bar to cut up the moose.