new moose hunter needs advise

The best way to learn how to kill a moose is to go moose hunting. I'm serious about that. More experience leads to more knowledge and then increasing success. Of course you can (and hopefully will) kill a bull on your first moose hunt. Using a rifle and being effective out to 300+ yards vastly improves your odds. As a longbow guy, my maximum shot distance is 25-30 yards....and you can quickly grasp what that means for my odds of success.

You've received some really great advice from experienced moose men here. Use it. There is of course no magic trick to employ. You simply must learn what you can and develop what skills you can prior to your hunt. Understanding all you can about moose...meaning the animal itself and its biology...will make you a better moose hunter. Take that knowledge and apply it to the GMU or area you're hunting to help you understand and maybe predict moose behaviors during your hunt. Nothing is more empowering (and satisfying) than hunting an animal you truly understand to its core.

Make your hunt about the adventure! Be determined to have a great hunt as defined by the experience of an Alaskan adventure....not the kill. You can't guarantee yourself a dead moose, but you absolutely can go into your hunt with a commitment to make it a great adventure with lifetime memories. Any kill should be the glorious moment where hard work and good fortune come together. It should, in my mind, never be about pressure to succeed or needing a kill to define a hunt as successful. When you unzip your tent door and step out to greet the gray dawn in Alaska....right there is your reward.

KD

OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you everyone. I will be reading and watching videos on everything suggested here.

For me it is about the adventure. The older I get the less desire I have to kill things. I won't hesitate though. The folks I am going with are friends. They have been sending lots of texts with pictures for the last few days. I am student, especially with things I don't know about. And I wouldn't want to be that one "guy" that knows everything. I would like to be invited back again. I love to work at things. Kind feel like the horse in Animal Farm sometimes. Just waiting to be shipped off to the glue factory.

I get the longer shot aspect. I have good set up. (quite a few actually. more than I need but who is to say you don't always need another gun). It shoots darts and I am a pretty effecient log distance shooter. I would like to close the distance just to be somewhat close to these animals.

They have told where we will be but everyone knows better than to share specifics. It is more barren, less timber. So it seems this will be a spot and staulk hunt. But i will let that play out.

This adventure will start in a month or two. Get to get some more gear! That always cool.

I appreciate everyone's advice!

kaboku68

WKR
I should note that I learned to hunt moose from Frank Billum who was the chief of the Ahtna Athabaskans and used to hunt moose the old way. He killed many of his moose with self made bows and arrows. He would dissect the environment after he saw where the bulls were cutting tracks, observe their poop, what they ate and could tell when the moose had come through from the oxidation on the dwarf birch that had been eaten. All of this stuff is in The Moose book that was written in New England in the early 20th century. It is a very valuable book in its first edition but like I said you should be able to find a copy. In it, it speaks about how moose are extremely intelligent except during the rut and how they circle back in loops checking their backtrail. This was true in New England as well as up here so wolves and humans must of ingrained this behavior in them. I thought I knew a lot about moose hunting starting at 12 and taking probably 30 during the course to where I am now at 53. However, the Koyukuk hunters of Nulato, Koyukuk and Kaltag have a very detailed connection with how to hunt moose that if you like to hunt moose, you should experience at least one time during your life. Those boys really know how to hunt, call and get moose. Most aren't trophy hunters but during the five years I taught in Nulato, they made sure that I tagged big moose. One individual in particular Pat Madros Sr, who was taken before his time, really knew how to hunt moose.

Will_m

WKR
This may have already been mentioned, but it seemed to me like once the bulls got hot they would come into almost anything. I’d say that’s a general rule for most callable big game, but this seemed much more the case with moose. I suppose it could have been the sheer lack of human contact but I’m just speculating.

This may have already been mentioned, but it seemed to me like once the bulls got hot they would come into almost anything. I’d say that’s a general rule for most callable big game, but this seemed much more the case with moose. I suppose it could have been the sheer lack of human contact but I’m just speculating.

This is not fact, but a hypothesis borne from years of studying and hunting moose:

Moose country is generally quiet country. An occasional raven croak is heard....and of course wolves may howl. But think about how generally silent it is in moose country. Arguably, the noisiest animal in moose-land is a moose. Grunting, splashing, bawling, stick-cracking, moaning, raking, antler-banging and other sounds originate from moose. With outstanding hearing, moose are hard-wired to hear these sounds and seek them out. It's very simply one of the primary ways moose find other moose to interact with and perhaps breed with. This why (I believe) a 'lousy' caller can have a bull run him down. Saw or chop firewood and a bull might come in to investigate. Whack rocks together....splash in the water....make moaning noises like you're trying to sh*t a brick....all of these might bring a bull right to your location. Once a bull gets convinced he's going all the way to investigate, he's almost duty-bound to get there and find the noisemaker....as long as nothing turns him off or away. Such responses can make moose hunting look deceptively simple or easy, but keep in mind those big plodding bulls haven't lost their brains, senses or wariness. They'll smell you, hear you, or see something they don't like and suddenly they're angling away or trotting off.

Last edited:
OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I should note that I learned to hunt moose from Frank Billum who was the chief of the Ahtna Athabaskans and used to hunt moose the old way. He killed many of his moose with self made bows and arrows. He would dissect the environment after he saw where the bulls were cutting tracks, observe their poop, what they ate and could tell when the moose had come through from the oxidation on the dwarf birch that had been eaten. All of this stuff is in The Moose book that was written in New England in the early 20th century. It is a very valuable book in its first edition but like I said you should be able to find a copy. In it, it speaks about how moose are extremely intelligent except during the rut and how they circle back in loops checking their backtrail. This was true in New England as well as up here so wolves and humans must of ingrained this behavior in them. I thought I knew a lot about moose hunting starting at 12 and taking probably 30 during the course to where I am now at 53. However, the Koyukuk hunters of Nulato, Koyukuk and Kaltag have a very detailed connection with how to hunt moose that if you like to hunt moose, you should experience at least one time during your life. Those boys really know how to hunt, call and get moose. Most aren't trophy hunters but during the five years I taught in Nulato, they made sure that I tagged big moose. One individual in particular Pat Madros Sr, who was taken before his time, really knew how to hunt moose.
this is so cool. I was reluctant about joining a social thing like this but the responses and honest help for making a first time hunt on a particular animal from a strategy point of view is real cool. I will do my best to share my story from the moment I leave the frank, till I get to Alaska, untill my hunt and the after hunt. I am not a good writer, my thoughts are always ten paragraphs ahead of my writing. But I will get a notebook, and start writing my story from the prep, to when i leave, and to the hunt. The prep has started from you all. Don't worry, I won't describe the hours of reading, etc. I just really enjoy reading stories on this thread about amazing hunts and I just hope I can maybe share one, and thank you all who gave advice about how to go about it.

OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
This is not fact, but a hypothesis borne from years of studying and hunting moose:

Moose country is generally quiet country. An occasional raven croak is heard....and of course wolves may howl. But think about how generally silent it is in moose country. Arguably, the noisiest animal in moose-land is a moose. Grunting, splashing, bawling, stick-cracking, moaning, raking, antler-banging and other sounds originate from moose. With outstanding hearing, moose are hard-wired to hear these sounds and seek them out. It's very simply one of the primary ways moose find other moose to interact with and perhaps breed with. This why (I believe) a 'lousy' caller can have bull run him down. Saw or chop firewood and a bull might come in to investigate. Whack rocks together....splash in the water....make moaning noises like you're trying to sh*t a brick....all of these might bring a bull right to your location. Once a bull gets convinced he's going all the way to investigate, he's almost duty-bound to get there and find the noisemaker....as long as nothing turns him off or away. Such responses can make moose hunting look deceptively simple or easy, but keep in mind those big plodding bulls haven't lost their brains, senses or wariness. They'll smell you, hear you, or see something they don't like and suddenly they're angling away or trotting off.
I have read a lot of your posts, and I think this why I finally like talking about hunting. I have always been shy about social media things. I don't want spots, that takes the fun out of the adventure. you have to learn your own spots. my take. You and everyone who has responded to my thread have been really helpful to understanding how to hunt this crtitter! And for me this is really important. Thank you so much. I am going to pour over this thread untill I go. Everyone who has taken the time to respond here, I am very thankful. And like I said a post above, I will share this hunt, and I hope that isn't arrogant. 'i just hope I share the story so its interesting.

OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
You got a damn good attitude, I’ll give you that.
isnt that what hunting or life is about, I will always share the adventure with people. Just not the place. The place is my own. It is the best part of the adventure. it is why i hunt, and why i shied away from social media

VernAK

WKR
By far the most important ingredient for a successful hunt. Every year I gear up and pay up for another wilderness moose hunt with no intent of killing a moose but if a grizzly or wolf comes by........
You got a damn good attitude, I’ll give you that.

Great article. I've heard of a lot of people using this strategy.

OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
Great article. I've heard of a lot of people using this strategy.

awesome read. Thank you! Just bought my tickets to fairbanks. Now, lots of sleepless night until I am there

AKDoc

WKR
I greatly appreciate your positive attitude, enthusiasm, and hunt priorities that you have shared, and I have no doubt that you are going to have a great adventure up here! Since you just bought your tickets, let me be the first to give you an advanced welcome to Alaska! Hopefully, you'll get a chance to experience calling a bull up real close...regardless of antler size, it is truly exciting!

All good advice. Remember that a bull knows EXACTLY where the sound of your calls is coming from. As soon as he gets to a location where he thinks he should see a moose, he expects to see a moose. If he doesn't he will probably get suspicious. If hunting open country it often helps to have a 2D moose decoy for such occasions. Enjoy the hunt and your friends!

AKDoc

WKR
All good advice. Remember that a bull knows EXACTLY where the sound of your calls is coming from. As soon as he gets to a location where he thinks he should see a moose, he expects to see a moose. If he doesn't he will probably get suspicious...
Absolutely accurate...as mentioned earlier the combination of their excellent hearing and the palms on their antlers are like a very precise directional radio-antennae dish!

Regarding the use of a decoy, I've personally not needed one for the setting where I hunt, i.e., an area that is fairly open with no other hunters at my location. I am convinced that when I'm calling from camp, the sight of our tents at distance gives the bull the sense that something is there and needs a closer look...and they will often circle as they approach closer to come from downwind to get a smell (sometimes just come trotting straight towards the tents). Often we are able to predict where he will break cover up close when circling, and we shoot him. This pattern has become so consistently common that I primarily call from camp. Of course, my comments are based solely on numerous personal field observations for the past decade in that specific location, so they are subjective to my experiences in that setting. Certainly not based upon objective research data.

I've attached some photos below of several different bulls approaching our tents after I was doing some cow calling. For reference our tents are 2 two-man Hilleberg Staika's (dome tents) and a 4-man SO tipi...
...During that first week after bull #1, I called several different bulls even closer to the meat pole that we had built, but we held out for #2 given that we had another week yet to hunt, the huge bulls that we had seen…and the high probability that we’d harvest a second bull regardless…

View attachment 331305View attachment 331306View attachment 331307View attachment 331308

OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
This is new to me. Thank you to everyone who has provided help! I have read everything and looked at all the suggested you tube videos. and all the suggested readings. It makes me wish i was 22 years old! I am 51. I suddenly have sleep shit ( cant't spell apniy?), i can't sleep. Meaning i wish I never went to college and just moved to Alaska.
So, I am lucky. The folks I am gong with have hunted the place we are going to hunt for a decade. They are from Oregon and have friends in Alaska. he keeps a super cub up there. I am beyond excited. They will let me hunt the way I want too. Meaning I don"t want to be told, just sit there and say shoot when we say shoot. I get a chance to screw it up! But still lucky that I have folks around me to push in the right direction.

I am beyond excited. Commercial flight booked. Six Fing months!!

OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
This is new to me. Thank you to everyone who has provided help! I have read everything and looked at all the suggested you tube videos. and all the suggested readings. It makes me wish i was 22 years old! I am 51. I suddenly have sleep shit ( cant't spell apniy?), i can't sleep. Meaning i wish I never went to college and just moved to Alaska.
So, I am lucky. The folks I am gong with have hunted the place we are going to hunt for a decade. They are from Oregon and have friends in Alaska. he keeps a super cub up there. I am beyond excited. They will let me hunt the way I want too. Meaning I don"t want to be told, just sit there and say shoot when we say shoot. I get a chance to screw it up! But still lucky that I have folks around me to push in the right direction.

I am beyond excited. Commercial flight booked. Six Fing months!!
And the pictures they keep sending me, makes for troubled happy sleep

Whatever you do make sure you have a lightweight chair and a bunny tarp.. made our trips so much more bearable from the weather.. and could hunt longer during rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk