New Mountain House

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member

Poser

WKR
I checked out her website and was fairly impressed with the ingredients list, but was rather put off by the price. I have been trying hard to eat a lot more "real" food, organic when possible, so I am thrilled to see that offered in a backpacking entree. But at $12 per entree, it would cost Luke and I $24 just for dinner. We currently shop around and usually get our MH, Alpine Air, Natural High and BPP entrees for between $4.50-$6.00 per pouch. I am willing to pay more for better quality, but I am not sure I can afford to pay double....

Yeah, they are expensive -as is eating nutrient dense food in general. I try to mix them in with other meal options as much as I can. Since I normally eat a modified Paleo diet, the Heather's Choice meals are a great way not to wreck my gut with the shock of a bunch of processed carbs at the beginning of a trip. The Buckwheat Breakfasts are excellent, BTW. Filling, warm and instant. I like the chipotle pork chili, too.

boom

WKR
It doesn't look like they listen to feedback suggesting they shorten the container to allow for shorter utensils.

i like my long spoon. allow me to fish trout out of the fry pan safely..when the pan is in the fire.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
LOL, have you bought dog food in the last three years? Prices have gone up and poundage is down. $50 for a freaking 35# bag of dog food. Ridiculous.

Of course not. If I was paying $50 for 35 pounds of dog food, I'd probably just get a cat and make it fend for itself......and I hate cats. If I had a dog it would be a BIG dog, and probably require 3 bags of food a week. Pets are a pain. At least we can leave my daughter's tortoise for a couple weeks at a time without worrying about it starving to death.

People always comment on the sodium content and such in these meals. The way I look at it, unless you're eating these things all year round.......it's probably not an issue. I'll go through 2 MH a day for 20+ days in Sept, and haven't had any issues with that. Then several more during summer trips.

Shrek

WKR
Who shops at Walmart???????????????:rolleyes:

Randy

Honestly , I have been in one once in the last few months and there's one every couple miles around here. They've jumped the shark and it's a long slow decay happening there. I can find almost everything as cheap or cheaper elsewhere and not have to deal with the Walmart experience. I do stop in and buy 20 gallons of ATF to run as fuel additive in my tractor but that's about it. The small MH sounds like a Walmart special so they can be a little bit cheaper but they're delivering much less value.

Poser

WKR
Just curious. Since WM is notoriously demanding with their bulk buying power, often companies are forced to find cheaper manufacturing and material sources to meet WM's price point demands. Was anyone able to tell a difference between pre and post WM era Mountain House meals? Maybe WM only carries certain meals that can meet the price point demand?

husky390

WKR
People always comment on the sodium content and such in these meals. The way I look at it, unless you're eating these things all year round.......it's probably not an issue. I'll go through 2 MH a day for 20+ days in Sept, and haven't had any issues with that. Then several more during summer trips.

I agree. Last year I ate MH and everything else and still cut 15lbs. And I have the type of metabolism where I can eat a pine cone and gain 5lbs in the off season.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boom, these are the new flavors shown on the website. I didn't see any of them except the breakfast skillet in our store...

I dunno Brad, curious to see what you find out. The MH website shows some new flavors for 2015, but all of them are the 2 or 2.5 servings per pouch except the breakfast skillet which I think has always been one serving...

http://www.mountainhouse.com/M/category/NEW.html

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Repackaging single portions from the #10 cans is certainly an option. i would imagine you would only want to do what you were sure you are going to eat, as the shelf life on the food is much diminished after the cans are opened. Even in vacuum sealer bags, I don't think it would keep more than a season unless you are using oxygen absorbers.

For the volume of meals we need at our house, I am not willing to spend the time required to portion out and seal all the entrees. I spend enough of my time counting and organizing food for summer and fall trips as it is. But we probably eat dehydrated food 70-80 days a year x2 of us. I am willing to spend a little more for the pouches, especially when I can get them on sale.

boom

WKR
Boom, these are the new flavors shown on the website. I didn't see any of them except the breakfast skillet in our store...

Thanks for the response. I'm gonna mail order mine to try to get some variety. I need some new stuff to replace-my usual suspects.