New Packs from Kifaru 2024

Do you need an actual shelf?

If I remember correctly, you are a fan of the K4? Did you find any trouble with not having a shelf on that?

It’s an interesting point you bring up. I have a quarter panel from Kifaru and I wonder if you could run that in between the frame and bag to give yourself a sling/shelf. Similar to the crib under a K4. Of course adding the additional weight runs counter to the ultra light nature of that bag. Which then brings me back to your point, could the new bag be separated from the frame and just used to sandwich the load in between shelfless like a K4? I have generally been in camp needashelf so I appreciate your thought provoking question.

sndmn11

WKR
It’s an interesting point you bring up. I have a quarter panel from Kifaru and I wonder if you could run that in between the frame and bag to give yourself a sling/shelf. Similar to the crib under a K4. Of course adding the additional weight runs counter to the ultra light nature of that bag. Which then brings me back to your point, could the new bag be separated from the frame and just used to sandwich the load in between shelfless like a K4? I have generally been in camp needashelf so I appreciate your thought provoking question.
My wife moved multiple carcasses with her K4 last season without any sort of shelf other than the bag https://www.rokslide.com/exo-mountain-gear-k4-exs-pack-system/

I know lots of folks did the same as well. I can't imagine that similar wouldn't work in this case. The nice thing about UltraGrid/EPX400/UltraPE is that you just wipe wet blood or let it dry and flake off; no more wet cleaning or soaking.

prm

WKR
Regarding the ”shelf”, I don‘t need a true shelf, but I vastly prefer a system where meat or an additional bag can be supported between the main bag and the frame. The easier that is to accomplish, the better. The Stryker is the best example in my opinion. Tremendous versatility and with nothing more than un-clicking a couple straps I can go from 2k to nearly 5k. Total weight penalty is a few ounces (3.4 to be exact) for the additional dry bag.
The K4 is another good example. Not quite as quick and easy, but certainly no issue. Like the Kifaru, you can add straps dedicated to securing load to the frame, at whatever position you prefer, without impacting the bag.
My hope is Kifaru produces a new material version of the Stryker XL that ends up a bit lighter yet.

sivart

WKR
I must be missing something. This bag weights 1.8 lbs, with virtually no pockets, not even side compression straps. It's marketed UL. Yet, my EXO 3200 bag is basically the same weight w/ side pockets, side stretch pockets, center stretch pocket, and it's cordura. The SG solo bag is ligher than this bag w/ more features, and again, made of cordura.

I'm not hating. I just don't get it. Don't get what this is offering..

fatlander

WKR
I must be missing something. This bag weights 1.8 lbs, with virtually no pockets, not even side compression straps. It's marketed UL. Yet, my EXO 3200 bag is basically the same weight w/ side pockets, side stretch pockets, center stretch pocket, and it's cordura. The SG solo bag is ligher than this bag w/ more features, and again, made of cordura.

That’s a valid point. The k4 7200 system w/lid is 4 oz heavier than the KU 4300 arc with a lid.

2800 more inches of storage, organization, features for 4 oz. . . And it’s 120 bucks cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR

The Ultragrid material they are using (the tan on the pack) is 4.x oz/yd, the epx400 (the green) is 9.x oz/yd. 500d cordura is usually 7-8.x oz/yd depending on the inner coating. The bag composition from the two photos so the average textile weight might be around 6.x oz/yd.

The two challenge fabrics are offering waterproofness, and an increase in abrasion resistance and tear strength.

"Ultralight" might be relative to one's existing perspective. It cuts ~35% in weight from other Kifaru bags, bit I also don't see "ultralight" in the product description either.

fatlander

WKR
"Ultralight" might be relative to one's existing perspective. It cuts ~35% in weight from other Kifaru bags, bit I also don't see "ultralight" in the product description either.

Doesn’t KU stand for “Kifaru Ultralight”?

sndmn11

WKR
Doesn’t KU stand for “Kifaru Ultralight”?

The first ones did, who knows what the U stands for now, maybe just Ultra? Maybe Unbecoming? Maybe Unconventional? Maybe it's just KU so people know it's a different line than others?

bmart2622

WKR
Ok, Im talking about the U standing for Ultralight. I honestly dont care what it weighs and dont chase weight with packs and am not the least bit interested in this bag but I do think the U stands for UL

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
That name is awfully similar to another company's packs...

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

man, this bag is tempting especially if they come out with a bigger bag. Aron in the video said he used same bag just bigger. I think the ARK frame will be amazing. I do like simple spartan style bags, but I also have fallen in love with my access in the Exo bags. I had the gnargali and liked it, but it was a pain in the butt when getting to a spot when the bag was full, and I wanted to get to sleeping bag or tent without dumping my full bag to get to the bottom. I'm sure I could work around it, but in a lot of cases I get to a spot to setup camp and want to leave everything in my bag until tent is setup. I also have come to like a side zip spotter pocket. Again, not end of work to strap a spotter to outside but I do like the extra protection on expensive optics. The more I type the more I talk myself into sticking with my K4, haha.