New Rain Gear from FL

OP
switchback7
yeah, maybe if i lived in a rainier climate. but i am probably out on these, too.

It’s at least as durable. I’ve never had issues with my SEAK though. I would say a little more packable as well… I wouldn’t say like way more packable but I noticed right away it seemed to be a more “sleek” jacket if that makes sense
Appreciate it Jordan! Look forward to seeing it… I’m holding off on rain gear until I see this stuff

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s posted up on First Lite now. Interesting changes…not sure what to think. Chest and triceps vents vs traditional pit zips, hood flip up visor, big magnetic flap pocket covers=26oz of rain jacket
Jury’s out
The chest zips were easier to zip and unzip compared to a pit zip I thought. Also gives you access to any pockets on your bino harness versus opening from the front. I carry my pistol in a chest rig so these side zips were perfect for accessing that when I had to use the jacket.. that was big for me.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the breathability aspect is this a dual purpose piece? Can it be used as a Soft shell like a Jetstream? There by eliminating one more thing in the pack?
Thanks
It certainly could in my opinion. It's still a rain jacket so it'll inevitably be louder than a soft-shell, but it'll buck the wind better than any no doubt. Usually my clothing system runs like this, which basically uses the rain jacket as a soft shell for most uses. Base merino, mid fleece layer, puffy jacket and rain jacket. Using the rain jacket over the fleece is a good way to do it if you're trying to bring the least amount of clothing as possible.

As soon as its avail I will get a set.
yep! i just watched their video on it and bought in on their marketing hype, haha.... their previous raingear was close, but the kuiu yukon and kutana both held up longer by enough to matter.... i have high hopes for the omen lasting a couple seasons... the amount of zippers i'm not too keen on, but the design looks pretty good to keep water out.

the knee pads and why they are there is excellent.... on good raingear that doesn't get taken out by pinholes like most, the knees are the first place to leak, they addressed that, which gives me high hopes the people designing it know where raingear fails, and how it fails..... looks like a very well thought out set, and i like first lite.... they have great gear for my needs, and their camo patterns aren't so trendy looking..... i need a new set of rain gear, and looking forward to trying the omen.... it may be close to perfect if it holds up. the integrated gaiters are cool too.... i will still wear gaiters most of the time just to protect the lower legs, but days i just pack my raingear rather than wear it, those will be handy... or jumping through creeks, less likely to get wet feet

i'm optimistic

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
I can't find what waterproof membrane is used in the product description. Anyone know?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Dries

WKR
anyone have experiences with the Omen ?
I have no experience with it in the field I just seen it and felt it at a Full draw Event and was very impressed with it. I think it feels like an uninsulated version of the older style Jet stream(I don’t have the new one). I think it could do the Job of a soft shell rather easily. It was about as quiet as the Jet Stream. It felt very well constructed. It felt very Durable also.
Again no experience in the field but very impressed with the feel of it.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I had the SEAK set and was disappointed with the durability and DWR performance. Wetted out quickly and was torn up in one fall season. I’d be curious to try this new Omen set but have been using Kuiu and Sitka with good results. Dream set is a dumbed down version with no pockets and minimum features.

Any reviews on this rain gear as far as durability and its weight? Does it feel heavy?
I just sold my Vapor storm light rain jacket I had in large and I want to upgrade. I think I need an XL, but some people say the Omen runs big. Any insight will be helpful. I am 6 foot, 200 lbs.