New RBros rifle getting some use already

bamagun

FNG
Bought a 7Mag from Travis last month and dove into hsndloading for the first time. I found a solid load with the 195 EOL pretty quick and stacked a couple on top of each other at 400 once I got out to Wyoming to validate some drop info. Feeling pretty good and confident at most any range, I decided I would just shoot one at 27 yards. Haha. I hope i never have to shoot one at an extreme range, but having a rifle capable of stacking two rounds in the same hole, at 400, then shooting an elk at 27, doesn't seem like I'm putting this thing to great use. Im in Idaho now and maybe I'll stretch its legs and look for a 75 yard shot.

Attachments

• 20200925_153143.jpg
    20200925_153143.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0780(1).jpg
    IMG_0780(1).jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 180
How was bullet performance at the close range? Bullet come apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes it did, but it wasnt like I expected.... We found one piece flattened about the size of a dime just prior to the guts. I havent weighed it yet, but Im guessing its around 45-60 grains. Its the first animal Ive shot with this bullet, so im not sure if its the inner core or outer jacket, but it looks like you beat a penny with a spike hammer and then made it the size of a dime. I may buy a small metal detector before I go to butcher this thing because the front shoulders have to have a ton of something in there. I initially thought the part we recovered was the outer shell and the core passed through, but there was no damage to the guts according to by buddies that cleaned it (I had to go flag a trail for the horses and let them quarter it up, so Im just going off of what they said with regards to being no damage to the guts). There were no noticeable marks on either front shoulder for what thats worth.... Either way, it was 27 yards, frontal, with a bullet going a hundred or so FPS faster than that bullet is "supposed" to go out of that cartridge and waayy faster than that bullet was designed to impact and the critter fell dead on the rock he stood on. Ive been using LRAB's out of my 270wsm for the past four or five years and have shot a handfull of deer less than 40 with it and they all died within a step or two, but it was an absolute mess to deal with the meat (I shot a doe two years ago and the bullet went through the lower chest cavity and out the butt and it was a disaster.. I think I like the fact that the 195 the other day expended all that energy in the first two feet and did its job. My stance, TODAY, is the 195 EOL is perfect for any critter under 75 yards and probably pretty dang great at anything from 400-800, but the 100-300 is what Im curious about and could probably go either way. I know my experience will be somewhat apples to oranges because Im shooting that bullet so much faster than others out of a 7mag, but so far so good... AND DAMN is that bullet out of that riffle accurate... Travis took me from making excuses why my other high end rifles had 1 inch plus groups at 100 to bragging about putting two in the same hole at 400..

Back