New Releases, January 2024 Arizona OTC Videos, Desert & Agri Mule Deer Hunts

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Hello RockSliders,
First off just a big thank you to Rockslide and its members.
According to YouTube, Rockslide contributes many views to this old man's YT channel. It is my #2 source next to YT's own search engines.
Just launched a new series of Arizona OTC archery videos, from a 21 consecutive days hunt in January 2024.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6RCLnTyEgP5ek42WUVgs5g

A couple friends suggested 3 years ago that I should start a YTube channel. 2 of them younger, mentioned they learned so much camping, hunting with me in Washington State. Only 1 of 4 hunting partners my age are still on this earth to hunt with me today in WA. Miss those 3 but the younger two are sure helpful around camp...and the pack out too ;)

But when my 1st grandson, 5yo at the time, said; "grandpa, you should do YouTube..." so I did.
Retired at 63yo, my goal for the channel was to leave something that one day my grandsons (4) could look back on. Should they choose to pursue hunting. By the time the young Uns' reach that age, I'll be too old to do much in the great outdoors, heck I might not even be around then.

What a learning curve, cameras, gear, filming solo and oh the investment in cam gear $$$$.
And I've not earned one cent from YT, even though they plaster my videos with advertisements :(.
But so enjoyable, video & wildlife photography, the learning process sure keeps me busy, sort of a labor of love.
A plus was all the good feedback that I received from younger hunters, some just starting out, without a mentor. Just look at all those seeking information on the INet. It felt good to know that some of my hunting, camping tips were helping others. Benefit of my 56 years in the field.

Worked all my life to reach a point in retiring, to have the time doing the great outdoor activities that I cherish.
A medical diagnosis almost 2 years ago really jolted my inner perspective. Once again, TIME is a factor of awareness. Now, no longer have the legs or strength required to do the hike-in, backcountry/alpine hunts that I loved. To date, I've lost 3/4" in height, from 6-2 to 6-1.25, my BMI of 14, robust 220-lb weight is down to 185. I tire easily now. But will continue to enjoy my outdoor pursuits as long as I can.
The other day, my grandsons, who live in other states, said; "grandpa, we love watching your YouTube..." Hmmm, priceless.

Again, big thank you to those Rocksliders who view, especially those who have subscribed.

Last edited:

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
Great videos! I watched quite a few of them last night. Really enjoyed that desert drone video where you found some burros and that buck! Subscribed to your channel and can’t wait to see the results of your ‘23 AZ trip.
I am 34 with three young kids and I bring a camera plus my GoPro on every trip I take to record videos for them then I get out there and get so into the hunt that I never use them. I’ve got to put my foot down and force myself to take the time to capture some of my hunts for the kids. What did you do to transition into recording everything? I mostly hunt solo so I just get in my zone and start hunting then I’ll realize a few days later I never touched my camera once for pictures or videos.

OP
mavinwa2

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Great videos! I watched quite a few of them last night. Really enjoyed that desert drone video where you found some burros and that buck! Subscribed to your channel and can’t wait to see the results of your ‘23 AZ trip.
I am 34 with three young kids and I bring a camera plus my GoPro on every trip I take to record videos for them then I get out there and get so into the hunt that I never use them. I’ve got to put my foot down and force myself to take the time to capture some of my hunts for the kids. What did you do to transition into recording everything? I mostly hunt solo so I just get in my zone and start hunting then I’ll realize a few days later I never touched my camera once for pictures or videos.
Glad you enjoyed the vids. And thank you for subscribing too. My grandsons love to watch. They're the reason why I started the YTube channel. But they are young so I'm careful with graphic content in my videos. I hunt mostly solo now, my best hunting buddies have passed away (3). 2 more are still working but find the non-resident hunt fees that I pay too expensive for their budgets.
"...transition into recording everything?
Oh, wish I could be most of the time. But hunting solo, one must often choose to hunt or video/photo, hard to do both at same time. Especially mobile, spot-n-stalking. Actually, missed shot opportunities when focusing on recording. And then shots present so unexpectedly, forget to record!
"...never touched my camera once for pictures or videos.
Happens when you first start out. Just have to mentally commit to taking a few pics or vids here and there. Sort of a 'stop and smell the roses" approach when out hunting. Understand the "hunting zone" feeling.

"...camera plus my GoPro on every trip..."
I started as such, IPhone & GoPro5, Nikon Digital pocket camera. Then I fell down the expensive rabbit hole! Now use various cameras; Canon HA70 camcorder, Sony A6400 camera w/telephoto 100-400 G-lens,
InstaGo 360 G-2 hat cam, GoPro 10&11 along with iPhone Pro 15Max.
Each camera has its place and specific use. But OMG, all the little video, photography gear accessories too!

However, the end results are a significant improvement in quality video and images, often 4K resolution, frame rates in 60-FPS range and ability for zoom control.
The GPros are good for close work but lack zoom for video subjects over 50 yards distant.

sz28

FNG
Nice videos, thanks for sharing! This type of content is invaluable for someone like myself who didn't grow up in a hunting family. If you ever want company in Arizona I'd gladly tag along and swing a camera.