New rifle build - Need Help!

Jay03

WKR
Oh and by the way, if you go with defiance for your action in the future they will cut you price breaks on additional actions. More orders=higher discounts. Get some friends together and make a few orders if possible. Things will go well and they may even decrease the lead time on delivery a little. I ordered my second action recently. Defiance Deviant with machined in recoil lug and 20moa rail for a 6.5x47 build. It will be a heavier target/bench gun for long range shooting. The price was good and I am pumped about the second build. More food for thought.

Jay03

WKR
I will soon, the stock is back at Mcmillan actually. The load port was cut a little short. In all the specs for the action and stock somewhere a small detail was overlooked. So they offered to cut it the 1/4 longer for the defiance load port I ordered which was longer than standard. I didnt get the action and stock at the same time so I wasnt able to check fit. The gunsmith saw it and we decided to get the build done and have mcmillan fix it later. I didnt want to hold up the build at that point. And it didnt affect anything other than cosmetics. Its a killer stock but it took about 10 months to get. which was a bit longer than I was told. Mcmillan has been decent about it but I feel I kinda got the run around when it wasnt finished by the quoted time. Oh well... ended up nice. My next build is getting a manners though.

jlmoeller

FNG
I think you are on track with your build. You have a list of quality parts and some real world advice from guys on the forum. My pick would be 7 wsm. I think this cartridge is the best blend of high bc hunting bullets, good starting velocities, and manageable recoil. I have a 300 wsm savage and it will become a 7 wsm when I can justify the cost. Better ballistics and less recoil (which actually means more useable accuracy) is why I will switch. However, there is nothing "wrong" with the 300wsm.

Check the inside length of the magazine and compare that to loading manuals for any short action cartridge you consider. Make sure there is room for longer/heavier bullets to seat them out in the magazine as the throat grows. Talk to Pacific Tool & Gauge or Manson Reamers to make sure your gunsmith uses the correct reamer for your set up.

I would start loading the Nosler Accubond Long Range bullet. The 150 gr. in 7mm is interesting. It has a very high bc and and works all the way down to 1300 fps impact velocity. This combination will allow you to take game as far as you are comfortable with. Even if you don't shoot at long range, the high bc bullet will reduce wind drift and be a big help a the mid ranges as well.

For a gun like this my scope of choice would be the Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP. In my opinion the FFP (first focal plane) with a moa based reticle is a huge advantage. This lets you use a ballistic program (while in the field) to determine wind drift in moa and then use the reticle in the scope to measure and hold off for a correct shot. The ffp keeps the subtensions of the reticle the same regardless of what power the scope is set on.

I hope this helps you. You are definitely on track with your build. Take you time and think through all the possible scenarios to build what you really want.

Jason Moeller

KMD

Banned
+1 for skipping the Vais brake for any matter of prone shooting. One shot here & there might not bother ya that much, but for any type of volume prone shooting, the debris splatter will begin to wear on ya. I know it did me, and just recently! Wound up swapping the Vais out to an APA side port brake...

Your other parts list looks real nice! Only thing I see to keep tabs on is the bottom metal? Make sure you have enough space to cycle rounds and that your c.o.a.l. limits jive with the throating of your chamber. Also, maybe to consider a PT&G 'BDL inlet' drop in bottom metal for long action???

Looks like it'll be a real nice rig when its done, I wish ya the best!!!

OP
C

Chenube

FNG
You guys are great. So much to think about. I have never had a removable mag, but thought it would be nice. Do many people use them for this type of hunting. I am not locked in on any components yet. That is why I came here for suggestions.

KMD, can you explain why the PT&G inlet is?

I think the Vias break is definately out. I have looked at several of the suggested ones already. I can feel the rifle getting better already. It is really nice to know that you are using tried and true methods and components before you spend money on a custom build.

Rees

Rees
If you choose defiance they make the XM action and bottom metal for it. IMO its the perfect action for the wsm.

Gradous builds amazing rifles and you will be more than happy with his builds.
You have chosen great components and can't go wrong with them. McMillan or manners either one can inlet for whatever action you choose.

was not around when the internal magazine first came out, but from what ive read it was the best thing since buttered toast. one less piece of equipment hanging from the rifle to 1. interfere with shooting 2. one less thing to forget on a hunt.

Shrek

WKR
A side note on the 7mm wsm . If I was starting from scratch I would build a 7mm-300 wsm today. It's the 300 wsm necked down . You loose a tiny bit of case capacity but 300 wsm brass is available and 7mm wsm isn't and may not be commercially available in the future. I've been on wait lists for over a year now and no Winchester 7mm wsm runs. The 7mm wsm has a slightly longer case body , sharper shoulder , and shorter neck. To make it from 300 wsm brass means fire forming and not just necking down . I had dies and a limited amount of 7mm wsm brass so I rebarreled mine as a regular 7mm wsm.

Jay03

WKR
I have never had a removable mag, but thought it would be nice. Do many people use them for this type of hunting. I am not locked in on any components yet. That is why I came here for suggestions.
Rees

In my opinion the detachable mag setups find themselfes on tactical or heavy long range builds more often... For mountian hunting I think a blind box or hinged floor plate BDL style magazine are plenty functional. They are lighter in weight and fool proof for the most part. And less expensive in the case of a rifle build like yours.

The pacific Tool and Gauge or PT&G bottom metal comes in the same footprint as factory rem700 BDL hinged floorplate stuff. If can be had with a wyatts extended internal mag box to fit longer OAL cartridges. But the stock will be inletted fot Rem700 bdl bottom metal basically, and the PT&G will fit in that inlet.... or very close at least.

KMD

Banned
^^^yes^^^

If going with a 280AI:
The PT&G 'BDL inlet' bottom metal for 700 long action will allow you to just bolt it into any standard long action 'BDL' (factory hinged floorplate) stock. IE, you won't have to open up the bottom inlet of the stock to get the PT&G magazine fed system to fit. Thats convenient, if you ever want to swap back to using the factory hinged floorplate, or wish to sell the stock at a later time...

If you are wanting to build a WSM/SAUM on a short action, you're gonna need more boiler room insdie the factory magazine recess to alow enough c.o.a.l. to accomodate the long azz .284 boolits! As said above, you're gonna need a Wyatt's extended magazine box if you wish to use a BDL floorplate. Or, go with a DBM system that will accept AICS based WSM magazines.

This is a Surgeon DBM on a Surgeon 591 short action. The magazine is an Accurate 3rd WSM mag. It feeds my 7WSM rounds @ 2.945 like butter, and you can see that the magazine sits fully flush with the bottm metal housing...nothing to get caught up anywhere...

0fb85b02-86b2-4506-91a2-f9b75f63a63b_zpsef0cd434.jpg

Also, good advice on the 7/300WSM option. Might be easier to track down 300WSM brass to neck down, over searching in vain for non-existent 7WSM brass. Or, do a 7SAUM for the same reasons, as there is enough 300SAUM brass around that can be necked down...

Don't know about availability of 280/280AI brass, but if its easily available, that might be a deal maker for you. And the 280AI will get you fairly close to nearing the performance of a 7WSM/7SAUM on a short action, you're just runnin' it on a long action. No biggie...

WKR
I'll take a different tact. I'd buy a used Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 or 308. Bed it, do any tweaks I wanted and see how it shot. If poorly, I'd rebarrel in either 7mm-08 or 260 Remington, twisted 9 for 7mm or 8 for 260. For a scope, I'd go 3.5-10x40 Leupold with M1 vertical although I just ordered a few of the SWFA SS scopes to try out. And I would run away from any and all muzzle brakes for a rig like this. For hunting rigs, I love a blind magazine. Save all the money on builds and go hunting.

OP
C

Chenube

FNG
Alright. I finally sat down tonight and looked at the two Manners stocks that I have on demo (EH2 and EH3). I thought the only difference in these two was the comb height. Well assuming I was shipped the correct stocks, it is much more complicated than that. The EH3 has 0.375" shorter rise in the cheek piece, is 1in longer, roughly 0.75" longer length of pull, narrower in the handle region and though the action region.

I would really prefer the higher cheek piece on the EH2, but the grip is much more comfortable on the EH3. (The grip on the EH2 is fairly wide, and i am not sure how comfortable it will be.) I also like the narrower profile through the grip and action area of the stock. I am also confused as to why the overall length and length of pull was longer on the EH3. The EH2 was inlet for a Rem long action and the EH3 was inlet for a Rem short action.

Have you guys compared these two stocks? What are your thoughts. I plan to run a 50mm objective scope.

Thanks again for your help.

Rees

KMD

Banned
Personal preferences, but I happen to agree with you.
The EH2 has an ideal comb height, but don't like the palm swell grip so much.
The EH3 is too long in the hand grip area, I prefer a more vertical style grip.
Finally, I prefer the more fine, tactile feel of McMillan's texturing, as compared to that on Manners stocks. Again, personal preference, there...

You might want to check out a Micky GameScout, especially if you dig the ergos of a vertical grip. The drop at comb is similar to an EH3 (somewhat lacking), but the rest of the stock is about near perfect for what I want. GScout allows the same 'feel' in the grip area as my bigger A3 stocks, but the forend is more slim & rounded. That saves weight, allows a more comfortable hold for off-hand carry, and the rounded ergos are ideal for cradling into a set of shootin' stix. I predator hunt alot, so having a steady rest off the stix is a biggie for me, and the vert grip is sooooo nice to manage from the seated position...

McMillan has a new website/webstore, where you can order 'in-stock' direct from them. I've been waiting 6 months for my most recent custom GameScout build, but there are several GameScouts in stock @ Micky's webstore right now. Tempted to grab one,just to save the 6mo. lead time, but the in-stock GScouts are BDL inlet only...

Good on ya for taking the time to try out different stocks! Nobody knows what you like, more than you do ;)

OP
C

Chenube

FNG
Hey guys. I am still putting information together. I am now looking at McMillian stocks as well as Manners. I really like the look of the McMillian Hunter stock (in Remington inlet). Is it possible to get this stock with the Edge fill, if so how much does it weigh? Has anyone on here used this stock; what are your thoughts? I really like the Monte Carlo cheek piece and higher comb. I really liked the Manners EH3 comb height until I felt how thick the grip and palm swell is on that stock.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Rees

KMD

Banned
The McM Hunter is very nice! Ideal comb height for a scoped rifle, and the slight downward comb angle will transfer less recoil to your face. A friend just put one on his .22-243AI build and I handled it side by side with my .22-243AI in a G-Scout. If I didn't have a 'thing' for the vert grip on my G-Scout, I'd have likely gotten a McM Hunter instead...

McMillan will build you almost any of their stocks with 'Edge' fill. Had an A5 Edge made years ago that I regretfully sold!
Only caveat is that you can't get a trademark "McSwirly" patterned stock made in Edge fill, as the blended resins add weight, defeating the purpose.

An Edge fill McMillan Hunter stock should come in about ~24 oz. You would need to order it direct from McM, with about 6mo. lead time.
My friend got his McM Hunter in black Swirly (standard fill) from Stocky's...

To me, DBM, 50mm objectives, and muzzle brakes don't jive with "pack rifle" intentions. I'd buy a Kimber 84L in .280ai and put the money savings into brass, powder, and bullets and wear the tube out shooting.

Shrek

WKR
I was Internet exploring rifle stocks and came across MPI's ultra lights and micro light stocks. Micro's listed a 9 oz ! Has anyone tried these 14r oz to 17 oz ultralight and 9 oz micro light stocks ? The site isn't real in depth but they sound good . Not even sure what the micro light stocks fit but 9 oz stocks sounds like an ounce counters dream.

KMD

Banned
Ultra light rifles are great, until you have to shoot them...